Stephen Hill: Milk Carton Status

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CurbYourEnthusiasm, Oct 28, 2013.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

6'4 with 4.3 speed and he sucks. Bad.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How do you have NO CATCHES in the entire game and only be targeted once? How can this be with this cast of Wr's?

3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Scary that Holmes was just as productive as Hill today.

4. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

I think the coaching staffs were putting nelson on a better spot to catch the ball than Hill. On our 2nd trip on Saintsā€˜ redzone, they should have thrown a slant to Hill top of the screen since the cb was playing way off. Instead, Geno tried to go to Nelso on an in and out pattern. The offense just played extremely conservative today. They didn't even try a play action bomb, despite runningextremely well even w 8 in the box.

5. DanR

DanR Active Member

I was going to rant about Hill -- considering so many Jets WR's were out -- but decided against it. I figured Hill was just used as a decoy, plus, we mostly ran run plays.

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Turd. Send him down to Miami. Rich Incognito will know what to do with him.

7. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Tough game to criticize Hill. MM, to his credit saw that the run game was working and minimized the passing game and hence the chance of INTs. The Jets didn't really have a need to throw deep in this game.

That said, we all would have liked to see some type of production out him, no doubt about that.

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I've been a big Hill supporter, and early on in the year I felt he was coming on. But, he can't disappear like this. He's definitely been disappointing.

9. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

The passing game blew this game, not sure if you can really blame Hill. Geno had 115 passing yards, about 40% of those came on a screen pass.

10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

There was a play that Geno threw into triple coverage (luckily it wasn't intercepted) that Hill clearly beat his man deep. I am expecting more from Hill but this is an up and down year for our offense.

Bottom line is we need a true #1 WR to allow Hill and Kerley to fall into their respective roles.

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

if he wasn't thrown to (and if he wasn't dropping balls) then I don't know how much you can read into it

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Hill was just hanging out and stuff.

13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

You can read that his route running, intensity, and physicality are lacking. He's too big and fast to not consistently get separation but he just isn't doing it. Geno rarely even looks in his direction and I'm seeing why the past few weeks. His hands are definitely improved this year but that isn't worth anything if he keeps dogging it out there.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If I recall, his only target was on a critical 3rd down in the 4th quarter. It looked like he failed to break off his route and just drifted upfield on the DB's hip. Geno had to throw it into the ground and was visibly upset after. Given Hill's lack of targets and MM's choice to call WR screens for Cribbs and Salas, it sure looks like there is no trust there. Dude had better get his shit together.

15. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Really wish they would have given that screen to Hill instead of Salas. He probably would have taken it to the house. Hill should be used similar D. Thomas.

Hard to criticize Hill in a game where 75 % of the yards gained through the air (115) came on two screens. Kudos to MM for sticking with the running game.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's not dogging, he's just not a good receiver.

That last play where the Saints sold out on a blitz was a play where a good receiver comes back to help out his QB and Hill was doing the greyhound up the sidelines instead.

I don't think the Jets can develop Hill and Geno at the same time. Neither of them is polished enough to make the combination work. Hill may have a big game against the Bills after the bye but that won't tell us anything at all.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Hill can draw coverage from the opposing team's # 1 CB (or better yet double coverage) leaving our other players free to make plays I am cool with him being a decoy.

If opposing defenses are not prioritizing taking him away from Geno and Hill is just playing badly that is another story.

At least he isn't dropping the ball like last year.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hill is not drawing double coverage, that's a myth. He's one on one with his guy most of the time and his guy is winning most of the battles.

This isn't hard to figure out. We know Geno can throw deep. We know he is fairly accurate on his mid-range throws. That Hill has turned into a zero is on Hill.

19. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I'm gonna climb out on a limb here and defend Hill. I think he hasn't been the same since that BS hit he took earlier in the season (it was a non-call that was clearly a penalty IMHO). Up to that point he had really been coming on, looking like he was developing but since then he has slowly disappeared. I know in hockey this happens a lot. A guy takes a nasty blow to the head and takes a long time to get their head back in the game (literally and figuratively). There was a pretty sobering discussion over at NJDevs.com about the very issue.

Adam Larsson, a young Defenseman for the Devils, hasn't been quite the same since taking a head shot about a year ago. He seems more timid, slower to react and sometimes indecisive, less willing to commit his body, etc. He has only ever had the one hit to the head, it hasn't been a recurring problem to my knowledge, but for some players this is enough for significant permanent damage and players are never really the same after. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen here...

As an aside, I don't recall seeing this phenomenon discussed in football like it is in hockey. There are always discussions surrounding concussions and how the players may become more timid (understandably), slower to react, and so on. It seems the focus in football is on the medical ramifications more than the immediate effect a concussion may have to on field performance, even after the player has 'healed' from being concussed.

In any event, I think this is worth mentioning. If Hill is predisposed or vulnerable to these sort of injuries then I hope he is able to overcome this. Sadly, if he doesn't begin progressing agan by next season I think his career will be done.

#79 Aewhistory, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  20. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The guy cannot run routes to save his life.. I will say it again.... He gets zero separation.. Send his ass deep every play and take a safety out of the play...