Status of The Team and Jets Fans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 27, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

potential. mac said he thinks polite learned form his mistakes and that he has enough good locker room guys on the D (mosley, adams, williamson) who can turn him around. I understand the frustration but polite has a higher ceiling then anyone else we could have taken there to rush the passer. him and josh allen were the only 2 players in college this year to have 10 sacks and 5 FF. it's a gamble but one that can pay off big. would you rather have another "safe" edge guy who can get you like maybe 5-6 sacks a year at best or take a chance and land a guy who has 10+ sack potential?

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well my HO is that U would increase your knowledge of the NYJs BY READING Twitter because the level of conversation on Twitter is on a much higher level then TGG IMHO:mad:

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have taken Winovich who was still on the board and who outproduced his own teammate Rashan Gary who went 12th overall in the 1st round. I'd also rather have taken Ferguson who broke Terrell Suggs all time NCAA sack record and one of the most polished edge options in the draft. Both with less "baggage" than Polite. Ferguson a lot longer than both of those guys. I hope Polite's production translates for us but he better be doing a shit ton of cardio because he looked borderline fat at the combine and his pro day. Not what you want in your top edge rusher.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I really wished he had traded down in the first round and picked up more picks. That being said, the jets first three picks IMO were ok if not pretty good. I think he wasted the last three picks, which he usually does--McCagnan is terrible with mid-round picks. The TE in round four is a blocking TE which is usually reserved for rounds 6-7--likely available several rounds later--how many TE and DL do the jets need anyway? The 5th round pick, another ILB? I actually thought backup Hewitt looked pretty good last year and the jets still have Lee (behind Mosely and Williamson)--another ILB was the last thing they needed. Round 6, good grief, the guy has been on the injured list the last two years--can you say undrafted free agent? I thought that two of the last three picks should have been used for developmental OL. The problem with the jets (one problem) is not only does their OL suck, but the current bunch of scrub starters don't have to worry/work hard because there is nobody on the roster to push /replace them. Does anyone really think Beachum,Winters, Harrison, or Schell are worried that retreads like Compton or Qvale might beat them out in camp? Ha!

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sure, every team has holes, but good teams prioritize which holes to fill first. For example, if you have a hole at QB, you should probably try your best to fill that. Not Macc. Macc is BPA All The Way, All The Time. So on assessing the needs this draft he most definitely did NOT have a hole at interior DL, and yet what did he do? Draft yet another DL!

I've heard all the arguments about not reaching, and not over-drafting, but every fucking year somehow the priority is given to defense! In an offensive-driven league! There's a saying: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see all problems as nails". Macc apparently thinks the only "tool" the Jets have is defense.

NCJetsfan, legler82 and tomdeb like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

How many "good years" did Q. Williams have in college?

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Zero, he had one great year out of one. Not sure what that has to do with anything. I think Ford is a good prospect but it was mentioned that a reason he dropped was because teams don’t know if he is the good player he was this year or the bad one he was the prior year.

My post was more about the rest of the back ups that the Bills signed for the OL.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A season to early for "we'd better" threats, next season 20/21 and then I will be right with you :)

9. ColoradoContrails

Really? You're "not sure what that has to do with anything"? I've read a lot of your posts and consider you one of the brighter people here, so either you haven't had enough coffee today, or you're being willfully dumb. You were the one that used "only one good year" as a knock against a highly drafted OL, so I simply applied your measuring stick to our pick. Given how highly rated he was by almost everyone, I can see where his odds of being great in the pros are strong, but still, there's no guarantee - simply look at L. Williams as another "can't miss", "best player in the draft" to see what can happen. Bottom line: there are no guarantees. But if you're going to knock somebody down for having only one good year, apply the same rule to all of them.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

yeah polite is riskier for sure nobody is debating that but mac went boom or bust in the 3rd high. unsafe but high potential guys. polite was considered a 1st round talent until he blew the combine and interviews. his college production and tape had him originally thought of as a 1st round pick. none of the others guys you mention had that potential. also FWIW polite is 1 of 2 players in college who had 10+ sacks and 5+ FF the other one was josh allen. it's a big risk but could pay off huge. he has the potential to be a stud pass rusher. the guys you listed are more of a jordan jenkins frankie luvu pass rushing potential. we'll just have to wait and see if it pays off for mac or not.

apparently the option wasn't there. mac did try and get into the 2nd round but the trade down options weren't good enough to justify passing on Q and he couldn't offer enough to trade into the 2nd round from the 3rd. he did trade down in the 4th to get a 5th round pick so while we didn't wind up with more picks he did essentially jump up 2 rounds (changed out a 7th rounder for a 5th rounder)

I don't see the last 3 as a waste at all. the TE we got will help out a lot as a blocker in the run game and in pass protection as a rookie. maybe he turns into a complete TE maybe not but regardless it was the best chance to improve our blocking at that point. he will help darnold, bell, anderson, Q, crowder, shell, and beehcum. he won't have big stats but he will have an impact on our offense. the ILB made some sense too. it's the 5th round lee likely is gone after this year if not during the year. hewitt is likely gone after this year as well. we won't have any depth at ILB behind mosley and williamson. he also compliments them well. it's basically lee's replacement and PFF had him as a steal as well (ranked 59th overall and jets got him with pick like 107) our 4th-5th rounders were the opposite of our 3rd rounders. low ceiling but very safe picks. the 6th rounder was a flyer on an often injured player. most likely he won't play this year nor will he ever become a reliable player but by some chance he does stay healthy he's a lot more talented and at a position of need then anyone else we could have taken

11. Attackett

First of all I appreciate the compliment, I also find you to be very knowledgeable and greatly respect your demeanor when you disagree with someone(I can learn a lesson about that) now that that’s out of the way.

The difference between the two is Q.Williams didn’t have the very bad year that Ford apparently did. But besides that and the reason I don’t know what that has to do with anything is I am counting Ford as an upgrade to their OL. I liked Ford as a prospect based off what I saw from him this year, I didn’t know about his bad year prior that was apparently a concern to some teams. I’m counting Ford & Morse as upgrades to the Bills OL, my issue is with the rest of of their signings who are nothing more than back up JAG types.

As for Leo, I still think he is a good to very good player, I think the criticism of him on here is unfair and unwarranted. He has pretty much lived up to his scouting reports to a T. Quinnen Williams though is a whole another animal, if he lives up to his scouting reports we just may have drafted one of the best DT prospects of all time. He is just a better prospect than Leonard Williams ever was, some are saying he’s the best DT prospect they ever evaluated.

12. ColoradoContrails

I think maybe we're looking at this from two different perspectives, not just you think it was a good draft and I don't. I'm judging this draft against the whole backdrop of Jets failure, not just Macc's but historically. And I had hoped that Macc would do better than he's done over five drafts and FA periods. And I have to admit that being as old as I am I'm in the minority.

But here's where I'm coming from - if Macc had come in Day 1 five years ago and done what he's done the past three years, we would likely have been in the playoffs last year and looking to contend for the SB this year, and have a great core to build upon to sustain it all. But he didn't. Now maybe he was given a mandate by the Johsons to win Year 1, but if he was any good at his job he would've seen the marginal talent he had and beginning in Year 2, torn it down and started rebuilding, but he didn't. And if he couldn't persuade the Johnsons to do that, again, I have to question his fitness for the job. So in essence he wasted two years. As I said before, due to my age and the frustration I feel after 50 years without another SB appearance, maybe I'm in the minority and just too impatient, but I think Jets fans have been too patient. Sure, there were billboards and planes flying, but overall, Jets fans have been among the most loyal and accepting of failure of any fans in any sport. From my POV, I'm not giving Macc the "luxury" of taking whatever time he needs to produce a winner. Most GMs don't get 5 years to do this, so why should he?

Anyway, I'm glad we could communicate civilly.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

NEVER FORGET that it was WOODY DUMBASS JOHNSON who allowed Belly to walk out on us & move NE to the Pats :mad:

James Hasty likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

i mean they didn't have a choice. he didn't want to be here for whatever reason and we did trade him for a mid 1st round pick (where we traded it down 2 spots and got pennington) not sure what they could have done better outside of convince belichick to want to stay

15. Attackett

Yeah I’ve said I’ve eliminated his first two years here in my evaluation of him, both good and bad. I understand you can’t erase them from the history books and they count towards his ultimate legacy but for me personally I’m judging him since the full rebuild started which IMO was long long overdue for this team. I think the first year “success” was the worst thing for him and the Johnsons needed that disastrous 2nd year to give in to the full rebuild.

I think he’s done a good job since the full rebuild began. What I’d like to see from him going forward besides the obvious of wins is I’d like to see that grand slam draft that every great GM has at least one of and I’d also like to see an offense focused draft which I’ve been screaming for for years now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Well I do not buy your justification for those last 3 picks, so we will have to agree to disagree. Specifically, everything you wrote about the 4th round TE may or may not be true, but my point is/was that we could have probably gotten him 2 rounds later. Really surprised 5th round by another ILB, when our OL is so piss poor. As to 6th round, calling him "often injured" is very kind--he barely played the last two years. He is a guy I might take if I had 10-12 picks like the Pats this year, not when we only ended up having 6 total picks.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

RE: wesco, maybe, maybe not. we'll never know. shit gets real muddy after the 1st 3 rounds and even then there are big suprises. i mean a 3/4 round OT was taken in the 1st. pollard was a 6/7 round RB and was taken in the 4th. could probably say the same about a lot of players taken in the 4th or later. at that point you grab people you think can help your team early or you go for value. In the jets case they took a TE they felt can contribute right away and help out a shaky o-line which helps the whole offense. the ILB was supposedly great value. PFF rated him as a 2nd rounder (59th best prospect) and we got him in the 5th round which was an extra pick we got by trading down in the 4th. I'm not sure how anyone can complain about that. the 6th round though i'll buy that. most likely this guy never does anything but as a 6th rounder it's to be expected. 99% of them don't stick around in the NFL very long. Mac has a tendency to grab oft injured players in the late rounds (especially CBs) hoping they can stay healthy. he did it 2 years ago with jones/clark. i'm not concerned about a 6th rounder being an injury bust.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Why do people act like BPA is objective?

chandler and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your thoughts and understand your position. For whatever it is worth, since you mention CB Jones and Clark, I did not see CB as as great a need before the draft (as, maybe, you guessed it, the OL). I thought before the draft and still think the jets should give both CBs Clark and Jones a real long look this year-- never know. Prefer some playing time for one of them them or Roberts (the presumed starter) over resigning Claiborne, which is the post-draft rumor. Gotta start getting younger sometime.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’ll take an average center please.

NYJetsO12 and abyzmul like this.