Status of The Team and Jets Fans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Loaded hollistically?No.

Loaded w young ascending talent 27 or under?

Mosley
    Bell
    Anderson
    Enunwa
    Darnold
    Crowder
    Adams
    Maye
    Jenkins
    Leo
    Quinnen
    Herndon
    Williamson
    Poole

Thats not including any of the draftees except Quinnon OR Lee should he end up staying.

Jones,Clarke,Nickerson,Shell,Luvu,Mcguire,Burnett, & Harrison who could all still step up & join the list above. Battle tested functional vets in Osemele, Winters,Beachem & Trumaine Johnson are all 30 or younger.

Its a young team w plenty of talent.Still w holes?No doubt but unquestioned upside,potential & legit long terms aspirations.

Mac went looking for young Dawgs regardless of position this offseason.Every single positional grouping including ST’s were addressed. He clearly felt the team still needed top end talent above filiing holes..i cant argue w that philosophy at all.The OL whiners club are everpresent & wanted upgrades in 2009-10 when we literally had the best OL of the decade.Spare me.Mac traded for an all pro,Signed a versatile upgrade to the depth chart & drafted a high ceiling developmental player who will also improve depth.A center wouldve been nice..but they clearly didnt wanna make morse or Paradis the highest paid center in football & i cant say i blame them

#261 KurtTheJetsFan, May 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Thats a good one.......But Bell is the differnce maker in my opinion

3. jonnyd

well at least I got us talking a little more sensibly now----even if I was a bit hyperbolic.....had Macc signed Morse, a lot of people on this board would be doing back flips about this off season. Morse was ranked 13th best center last year PFF and is now the highest paid.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I do disagree. The Jets could have very easily addressed their holes at C, Edge Rusher and #2 CB this offseason and Mac chose not to. They had the cap space and there were good players available. Saying it isn't practical is nonsense.

Peebag likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

jonnyd likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mosley is elite. Bell is elite assuming he's his old self. Anderson and Enunwa are #2 receivers, and Crowder is a #3. Adams is elite, Maye may be good or may be a bust. Jenkins is below average, Leo is above average. Q Williams is a rookie with elite potential. Herndon is very promising. Williamson is good, Poole not so much. And Darnold's career will turn out somewhere between Tannehill and Aaron Rodgers, too soon to tell.

So yeah I'm excited because our roster is now promising, and we may end up with an elite QB. But loaded is only relative to recent Jets teams, not the rest of the league. We're just ascending into what an NFL team should look like.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The FA CB crop was extremely weak and they just spent big bucks in FA on a CB the previous offseason. It’s time for some of the young talent at CB to step up like what happens throughout the league.

Mac did address edge in FA and then Barr had a change of heart, he also tried to address it but was outbid for Zadarius Smith, it was clearly a priority this offseason but unfortunately there are 31 other teams trying to upgrade their own rosters during FA.

He didn’t fill all the holes this offseason, he’s not a magician. What he did do though is upgrade the talent of the roster in a big way and give the team a chance to be competitive.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thank you! i don't understand why people think free agency is like going to walmart and buying what you want off the shelf. you have 32 teams all bidding for people and you win some and lose some. you can argue he didn't try if eh never made an offer, clearly he did as he had barr all but wrapped up off the bat who had a change of heart and as you said nothing for CB really out there. we got a solid nickle to replace skrine dirt cheap which was a good deal but for CB2 nothing was out there simple as that every team has holes

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

First of all, I know you are cool because you DID in fact keep your response to a paragraph :D thank you sir.

Second of all, you are wrong. The Jets do NOT have that much more cap space and it is smart to roll let some of it roll over into next offseason.

Ya gotta chill man. The Jets has so many holes. They should t have attempted to try and bandaid every single hole. They added the best offensive lineman on the market via trade, the best offensive player on the market, and the best defensive player on the market. I don’t know how you can be so upset over what he did.

I have had approximately a bottle of wine and I am dog tired so forgive my bluntness this evening sir. You are always well informed so don’t take any of this the wrong way.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well Penny I hope that wine morphs into Champagne 6 months from now if the Jets make it into the First Round of the Playoffs

I think NC myself , Contrails and the rest of the OL "whiners" will only be satisfied if by some good fortune we make it there..after 5 years of Macs ineptitude can you blame us??

Let me ask you this >>>>do you see MM going from Average GM to greatness after an Off season of 1000 cups of Starbucks and pushing himself to get us some star players? How do you really see/ grade his draft picks?

Is he not desperate to save his job?

11. NYJetsO12

Thanks for that..now I can rest easy knowing Blessan Austin will be part of our future young talent at CB

Yankjetfan likes this.
  12. It was a weak FA crop & an even weaker CB draft class.The first corner didnt come off the board till pick 30 & the guy everyone thought was the best of the group went in the mid 2nd round.

Derrick Jones has gotten better every year hes been in the league & has immense size/speed/agility.

Perry Dickerson is also a very talented corner who got pigeonholed into playing the slot behind Skrine despite never playing it in colllege. Im anxious to see him back on the boundary where he belongs w a whole offseason.

Jeremy Clarke is another 3rd year guy.Hasnt shown much to this stage but not sure if hes ever been fully healthy.He has great size & closing ability.

Theres no reason one of these 3 cant step up & beat out Roberts.And if it happens folks wil be feeling a whole lot better about this secondary.

13. jonnyd

I never saw THAT gem. Good lawd. But he knows Polite and Edoga suck so we;re in big trouble

14. NCJetsfan

First off, I am chill. I'm not upset. I'm just trying to make a valid point. I am not wrong. It's not just about bandaiding every hole with a stopgap player.

You're trying to make the same argument that some do regarding always taking the BPA in the draft and not considering need. FA first and foremost is to address need and fix holes. It's not about making a big splash and/or signing the best offensive player or best defensive player. The draft is about adding as much talent as one can and less about need. If Mac wanted to sign Bell to help the offense, he could have and could still have had enough money to sign Morse or Paradis, one of Bryce Callahan (who can play outside or in the slot at a high level), Ronald Darby and Darqueze Dennard (who can also play outside or in the slot), and a good edge rushing prospect. Each of those players are young and would have been better than anyone we presently have on our roster and I think would have been good players for us. Don't forget that he signed Anthony Barr, and if Barr hadn't backed out, we probably wouldn't have Polite or as much cap space as we have. So it was possible to sign 3-4 big name, big contract FAs. Even though he evidently planned to take Q. Williams in the draft and not J. Allen, I can give him a pass for not signing an edge rusher since it was such a good and deep draft for edge rushers. Still, even after Barr reneged on the contract, Mac could have signed Shane Ray, but didn't. Mac is very lucky that Polite fell to us, or we still might not have an edge rusher. He should have signed Shane Ray prior to the draft as insurance.

Even with signing Mosley, they still have around $25 million in cap space. Figure $8 million of that will go for draft picks. That still will leave around $17 million. Even keeping $8 million for emergencies during the season, that would have left them with $9 million to sign a player or two. Darqueeze Dennard signed a one-year $4.5 million contract with Cincinnati. Shane Ray is still out there and would have been cheaper than Shaq Barrett's $4 million one-year contract, and probably more in the neighborhood of $2 milllion. The Jets could have possibly signed the two of them and that would have given them more security at the #2 CB position and given them even more depth at edge rusher and insurance in case they didn't get a CB or edge rusher in the draft, and they'd have Ray if it takes Polite a year or two to develop. Jon Sullivan is still out there at C. Brett Jones signed a one-year contract with Minnesota for $810k. Steven Wisniewski re-signed with the Eagles on a one-year deal for $1.5 million. It's even possible that Mac could have signed Dennard prior to the draft and still added Ray and Sullivan or Wisniewski following the draft. Brett Jones may have re-signed with Minny after the draft as well.

NYJetsO12 and Peebag like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Sure there's a reason one of those 3 can't step up. It's called talent and experience. Hopefully, one of them can, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

To be fair, the same positive views get posted as answers time and time again as well. Kinda unfair to come down on one side and not the other.

jonnyd and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

You know your stuff..so I will take it on faith these guys are getting there

But none of the aforementioned players were good enough to replace/compete Skrine who was pretty terrible.. so that's not a good sign

And Of course, our 72 million investment in T Johnson can't go to waste...so he gets the start every game

Did the Jets resign Morris Claiborne? What's your opinion on him?

The Wind Up>>>>take away Adams (Maye?) CB/Secondary is the weakest link in the Defense and can easily be exploited gametime

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I suppose that's one way of looking at it but it is certainly far from a consensus opinion, benchmark or standard operating procedure, it is one way, yours. I believe that most teams look at both free agency and the draft as equal tools with which to build a better team without restricting themselves to such definitions. Opportunities come and opportunities go. Your detailed shopping list with pricing included is nothing more than one scenario that may have been possible only until one free agent decided he'd prefer to be elsewhere or one draft pick went early or lingered on the board.

I don't think anyone has ever aced a mock draft; doing so is multiple times more difficult than picking every game correctly in the March Madness brackets. It might as well be called April Insanity. Attempting to do so without the insider information that teams have access to while we do on message boards do not is an exercise in futility. Coulda, shoulda, woulda replaces the judgement of those who know a whole lot more about the players than we do. Being okay with that is not the same as being okay with the results but it is useless to second guess every decision made. And that's even before any one of them is a big bust or gets injured.

#278 Ralebird, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    PennyandtheJets likes this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What we have going for us is a QB who has an uncanny ability to feel pressure and make plays on the move. As much as I’m worried about Sam, I’m more worried about what it could do to the running game. If that fails, it puts Sam in a tough position with a lot of 2nd and 3rd and Longs. You can only overcome that so many times.

Here’s hoping Bell has lots of patience to pick his spots (something he is known for).

NYJetsO12 likes this.

20. Other than Nickerson who never played the spot until he joined the jets none of the other aforementioned were a fit at slot corner..specific match-up aside. That position has pretty much become it's own animal at this stage. That spot demands short area quickness, top notch mirror skills as well as the ability to play the run & in many cases blitz. It's typically a smaller prototype bc bigger corners(Like Jones/Clarke) have a longer stride & lack the initial twitch/quickness. All 3 of these guys are purely boundary guys...perhaps Dickerson can develop that skill set w. time but even he seems to be at his best outside the hashes.

I really like Claibourne. Other than the untimely penalties which frankly all our corners struggled w. under Bowles he was very solid for us. If he's healthy bringing him back is a no brainer. That said..I'd rather one of the youngsters step up but team history dictates that doesn't always end up happening. I'd much rather start Claibourne than Roberts.