Status of The Team and Jets Fans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 27, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can say that when the number of posters approving the Gase hire (by far our biggest move) was about half of the number of posters disapproving it (per the TGG poll), and we haven't even played any games yet.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they added the best offensive free agent available AND the best defensive free agent available in the same offseason. jonnyD is right

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Adding the best offensive FA available and the best defensive FA available is nice, but isn't what a GM's job is about. His job is build a team and filling holes. Going into the offseason our biggest needs were C, Edge Rusher, a #2 CB and RB. RB was a need, but one doesn't need the best RB (or one of the best RBs) to address that need. Adding Bell was great and it gives our offense immediate respect and should help Sam, but doing more to upgrade the OL could probably have done more to help Sam.

ILB really wasn't a need. Yes Mosley will be a great addition to the D both in terms of making plays/setting the tone and in terms of leadership. But adding Mosley is greatly diminished when your GM ignores the biggest needs on the team in FA: Edge Rusher, C and CB2. and there were a number of good prospects at each position that Mac could have signed. Those holes that easily could have been addressed and were completely ignored in FA. The OL could also have used a lot more upgrading/insurance other than trading for Osemele and signing Compton.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yes, adding a Center would have been great and nobody would have complained. The problem is that teams with this many holes aren't able to adequately do so in one offseason. It just isn't practical. The Jets did more than enough this offseason to greatly improve the team. They will continue to do so leading up to this season and next off season.

Feel free to disagree with me, but for my sake, please keep your response within a single paragraph. I am not prepared to read an essay.

Ralebird, joe and jonnyd like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

The coach is way more important than Pro Bowlers at running back and inside linebacker.

6. BrowningNagle

I disagree, I think the players on the field win the football games primarily. BUT it is an age old debate, I'll acknowledge that

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Parcells stepping into "Kotite's team" in '97 shows a bit.... ;)

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

there are no more Bill Parcellses left

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Fine, I wasnt thinking coach but thats fair....however, we ABSOLUTELY upgraded the coach as well......now add the upgrade at DC on top of that. It was WITHOUT A DOUBT our best off season in decades...

Acad23 likes this.
  10. jonnyd

again you refuse to actually read the post. I said it was our best off season in 15 years. I never said we filled every hole. I never said we are favorites to win the SB. I said it was out best off season in 15 years. And it was.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Disagree. Last year we drafted Sam Darnold. That is the best offseason move we have had in a very long time. FYI Mac was completely dependent on the 2 teams in front of him for that great offseason to happen. It was not a plan. It was pure luck. I'll take it.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. jonnyd

backstabber!!!!!

13. jonnyd

and if we say last off season was better because of Darnold , then Macc has had teh two best Jet off seasons in 15 years back to back which furthers my point. Thanks pal :)

Acad23 likes this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

6 wins and Mac's a genius.

15. jonnyd

hahha no NC, all I said was he had the two best off seasons in 16 years. That shit pile of a coach was not his hire.....lets see what happens now with the current talent and a new coaching staff.

16. 2008.Kris Jenkins,Damien Woody,Alan Faneca & Calvin Pace.

Granted Gholston was the 1st round pick but they also traded up for Dustin Keller.quite the haul.

jonnyd likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

With the off season moves the Jets have made...a true fan has got to be at least open minded about how the season will pan out.

A true darksider will always piss on the parade...

I haven't been this excited since Bowles was hired. :confused:

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yes sir...Much as I like Darnold...he fell into our laps. No brainer.
    If we had skipped him for Rosen or Allen my head would have exploded.

I will forever believe Mayfield was the target in that draft room...as he should have been.

Time will tell the story of which QB can drag his shitty team to new heights.
    They all have a lot of work in front of them.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

Decades? 1997 is a very hard bar to top. Not saying it isn't theoretically possible, but it's unlikely. In the past 15 years, I would say 2009 was pretty good. We hired Rex and brought in a bunch of guys who contributed a lot to the back to back AFC Championship games. If Gase and Darnold lead us to greater heights than that, then I'll say 2019 was better than 2009. But to say now that 2019 is without a doubt better than 2009 was is going too far.

20. HomeoftheJets

You can argue a loaded roster is more important than a great coach. But Bell and Mosley don't make our roster loaded.