Starting to question Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Nov 5, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't fault him at all for not signing a QB after Siemian went down. With no OL, no edge rush and lousy CBs, he knew this team wasn't going anywhere this season, and with the early schedule that we had, it might have resulted in one more win at best. He knew that Sam would be back in a few weeks, and knew that by the time the new QB got up to speed in the offense, that Sam would be back. He did what he could to try to patch the holes, but it was like the little Dutch boy trying to plug all the holes in the dyke.

He is focused on the future. After signing Kalil, trading for Thomas and making a couple of other moves, the Jets had less than $10 million in cap space left (and it was closer to $5 million than $10 million). He knew that he needed to save some for emergencies during the season, and probably hoped to be able to carry as much as possible forward to next year to help in bringing in some FAs and upgrading the roster. Why throw good money after bad on bringing in a crappy, older veteran?

Falk looked very good and comfortable in preseason. Douglas probably figured that Gase would make some adjustments to help Falk and that Falk would settle down. After all, other rookie and young QBs were playing and playing well. Why not Falk? Little did he know how clueless and stubborn Gase is and either will not or cannot make changes/adjustments to his systems because he doesn't know what to do.

I have questions about a couple of moves that he has made, but they were so minor I can't even remember what they were at this point. The biggie for me in determining what I think of Douglas will be in whether he wants to keep Gase as HC for a 2nd season or is ready to move on, followed closely by how he handles FA and the draft. Even if he opts to keep Gase for a second season, I'll still support him if he does well in FA and hits at least a double in the draft and adds solid depth and players who will contribute immediately and help to solidify the OL. If he opts to move on from Gase, but does a poor job in hiring his successor, and/or has a mediocre FA and draft, then my patience with him will wear thin quickly. I just don't have any trust or patience in or with the Johnsons or the Jets' FO any more. I'm sick of the losing, sick of the incompetence.

SOJAZ, Acad23 and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Both Thomas and Hairston were good trades imo. Thomas can still play, and Hairston has some potential and has has played pretty well for the Jets.

I'm not happy with the Osemele situation, but am gonna wait until all the facts are in before I kill him for that.

As far as his "ringing" endorsement of Gase, what did you expect him to do? Even if they weren't friends, he wasn't going to publicly humiliate or trash Gase and the lousy job that Gase has done. It remains to be seen what he really thinks about Gase or if he has any power from the Johnsons to make the decision on whether Gase goes or stays.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I agree that no one is trashing him yet.

Why is taking the job with Gase enough to doubt him? Gase evidently did at least a good enough job with the Bears to get the Miami job. Gase is a friend. As many posters here have said, the Jets job should be very attractive. They had a young potential FQB, and if anyone turns the Jets around, he will be seen as a conquering hero and savior, and can write his own ticket.

I also think that's a Rodney Dangerfield quote, not Groucho Marx.

4. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. What moves could he make once he got here? FA and the draft were over. Adding camp cuts or trading future draft picks were his only options. We didn't have many marketable players that he could trade for other players. He knew that this team was going nowhere this year with the crap OL they have, the crap CBs they have and no edge rush. It would have been foolish in the extreme to waste future draft capital to try to put bandaids on the cancer of this team, when it needs major surgery, and he knows he needs as much cap space and draft capital as he can get to perform that "surgery." No team was going to trade a quality starter to the Jets. No team was going to trade quality depth either unless they were blown away with a bevy of picks. The only types that would have been available were older, past their prime players, injury-prone players, or players who have character issues, and those are not the types that Douglas is looking to add to the team. Sometimes one just has to buck up and play with the hand that one is dealt. I respect him for not panicking and trading our future away to try to save what was never going to be much of a season.

Douglas isn't going to make the mistake the Dolphins did and have a fire sale, trading away every quality starter or older player. He knows that he needs a solid core to build around and he needs some leaders to help shape the culture with the new young players he will be bringing in. I believe that he would have traded Adams if the Cowboys had been willing to part with either Smith or Martin, but they weren't. He also didn't give players away. I'm sure that other teams were looking to take advantage of him because he's a rookie GM and because of the mess the Jets were in. He stayed strong and didn't cave. He did the right thing. I'm sorry that you are unable to see that.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Nothing more than a Gase yes man to my eyes.

BUT

I gotta give credit where credit is due getting a 3rd and a 5th this late in the game for a player I felt didn't have much value was a stroke of genius.

That being said once upon a time MacCagnan once pulled off a similar trade for a similar player (Richardson).

I'd clean house.

This pattern of half baked regime changes has to end.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You’re assuming he would have resigned with us.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I totally agree with you on the overarching sentiment here, and on the first bolded section, but I also totally disagree with the second bolded part. Woody was MUCH, MUCH worse than Chris. Woody was constantly meddling, and never learned. Every decision he made was wrong. Chris at least shows signs of being capable of learning, he hired Douglas, and looks to be allowing Douglas to run things. Albeit late, he corrected Woody's mistake of having Mac as GM. He screwed up on hiring Gase, but don't forget that Woody hired Rex, Idzik, Mac, Bowles and let them all stay too long at the party.

8. NCJetsfan

No, I don't think so. I think it a ridiculous question. Nothing about Douglas suggests that he would be anyone's bitch, much less an incompetent hack like Gase.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It was Groucho. Dangerfield may have used that quote, but it was Groucho who coined it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Yeah, I think saying that this team could be a playoff team is laughable, especially to claim that they could "easily" have been one. That ignores the fact that we have no pass rush, horrible CBs, the worst OL in the NFL, and a totally inept, incompetent boob as a HC. It's delusional, plain and simple.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

On a much better team. And there were many games he did not light it up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

What moves seem like panic moves? He was hired so late, what was Douglas supposed to do? All he could do was try to find players who could help. He was grasping at straws. Something had to be done to help the OL and CB corps. Kalil didn't work out, but the Jets couldn't have just gone with Harrison and no depth. Demaryius Thomas can still play and was a good add. Hairston's young and can play. That was an excellent move. Trading for Alex Lewis was an excellent trade. He's our best OL right now.

I agree that he needs to sit down with CJ and tell him that things aren't going to work with Gase, and there's a chance that Darnold can be ruined if they don't get rid of Gase ASAP. Hopefully, CJ will listen to him, or allow him to make the decision on his own.

13. NCJetsfan

It's way premature to say that "Whatever Douglas had in mind didn't work out either because McCagnan half did everything." Douglas signed a six-year contract. He evidently convinced Chris Johnson how bad the talent level is on this team and that it's going to take time to turn things around. Whatever Douglas has in mind, hasn't even really begun yet, because he hasn't had a FA period or draft. His hands were basically tied this year. There wasn't much he could do. It's to his credit that he didn't panic, waste cap space and draft capital and throw good money after bad in trying to put lipstick on the pig that is this current roster.

14. NCJetsfan

Who the hell else was he going to sign? Do you know of a bunch of LBs out there on the street?

zace likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

That was never going to happen. They didn't want a QB controversy and Teddy wanted the chance to start somewhere. I believe that Mac signed Teddy for two reasons. One, as insurance in case he didn't get one of the top 3 QBs in the draft or if he did and the kid wasn't ready to play day one, and two, to give Teddy a chance to show that he was healthy and could still play so Mac could trade him for a draft pick(s).

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Teddy is Captain Checkdown. Better than Falk, yes and probably would've moved the offense and kept the games closer but I was happy with that trade. Siemien is a quality NFL backup + over .500. Prior to this season, Bridgewater was 17-11 as a starter, Siemien was 13-11.

And then we went and cut the player we took with that pick and the NFL kept laughing at us.

I think when Bridgewater gets the chance to start for a franchise again in the near future, the league will realize he is what he always was. 14 touchdowns in consecutive seasons on pretty good teams. That sort of production.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Because I stupidly decided to click on this thread I read the first page. But I'm not going to waste more time on a highly premature assessment. Douglas has great background, in particular he actually played football, a significant plus over previous Jets GMs. Would I have preferred they hired a proven GM with a winning track record? Sure, but that almost ever happens, even with successful organizations. If a GM is good and builds a winner, he almost never leaves, and only if he declines is he fired but then you have to wonder if he still has it in him to rebuild a shit franchise?

Douglas was almost certainly better than anyone we could've reasonably hoped for, and he hasn't done anything terrible yet to change that assessment. If he doesn't produce significant improvement in this upcoming off season, then I could begin questioning him, but we're a long ways from that point now.

BTW: Where were all you complainers two or three years ago when a few of us were calling for Macc's head? You sure had patience then! Compare their resumes prior to being hired here and you'll see Macc's couldn't hold a candle to JDs. Give him a chance.

18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Teddy and our 7th rounder yielded Chuma

hope Chuma pans out

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so far we were fleeced

20. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Why are your expectations lower?