Starting to question Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Nov 5, 2019.

1. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s Gase pulling through strings on the moves Douglas has been making.

Also, Kalil was a good move...on paper. Jachai Polite would’ve been a great move....if he worked out.

A lot of iffy moves during the off-season, coming with two GM. This season it looks like they ALL went wrong. Resigning Enunwa and he’s made of porcelain.

We really should make a list of all of the moves that were made this off season that just didn’t work out. It would bring a lot of clarity to this situation for some people.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You think the browns and dolphins are that much better? How many wins do they all have with their regular starters? Browns lost their CBS for a bit but they weren't exactly lighting it up.

Eagles too? None of these teams are that good

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm willing to concede on Kamara although it didn't specifically name Bowles or the coaching staff and instead named "Jets officials.". Could be the coaching staff.

I think they worked closer than you're suspecting though. Either that or he was trying to appease Bowles with all of the secondary acquisitions.

4. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    Good coaches have bad teams playing at least competently. Look at Belichick's first
    season when the Pats went 5-11. In their losses, they lost by 5, 1, 8, 7, 17, 7, 3, 8,
    25, 7, 3, only two blowouts. Even by the end of the season they lost 24-17, won 13-10,
    and lost 27-24, so they didn't give up. And look what the good new coaches have done
    in this league as soon as they stepped in. I don't know about Douglas, but the head
    coach imo is incompetent.

Ron

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So... I guess when people say "a win is a win and a loss is a loss", on this website, its simply bullshit. It does matter to people to keep the game close in losses.

by the way, Gase has had plenty of opportunities to keep some of these blowouts closer. kicking field goals or punting on 4th downs late, running the ball to run the clock out quicker. He doesn't do that though, as well he shouldn't right? and yet people still perceive the Jets, and Gase, as worse than they are.

Richie Kotite lost a lot of close games, maybe you don't remember. the 1-15 team lost 7 1score games

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Too early to tell, and honestly much of his moves seem like panic moves, or just quick plug ins in an attempt to mask how bad the roster is.

I won't get too critical of Joe Douglas until I see a full offseason for him. If he drafts 4 immediate impact players and the jets end up rebuilding their o-line, cornerback, and edge, I think we can all agree that would be one hell of a job.

Also, much of this depends on whether CJ gives him the ability to hire his own HC, but really he needs to sit down with CJ and tell him this isn't going to work, and they will ruin darnold, unless they get a new HC in the fold.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Douglas getting a 6 year contract shows that he knew the scope of the job he was taking.

That’s should inspire confidence, not criticism for him taking the job.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

This is definitely a big reason why we are where we are. Whatever McCagnan had planned didn’t work out because he got fired. Whatever Douglas had in mind didn’t work out either because McCagnan half did everything.

It was a bad, bad move to let one GM draft players then fire him. This is a big part of that decision.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Based on the overall talent on this team right now and the guys who won't be here who are on the team right now if we don't get 3 or 4 starters in this draft class by year 2 it will be a fail. We aren't the Pats, there is no reason below average NFL starters can't be drafted in one class. Below average in many cases will be an upgrade. Were not replacing a bunch of A players in next years draft, were replacing outright scrubs on both sides of the ball.

Get me 1 A player and 2 solid starters and a spot starter on a team loaded with practice squad players. Is that really to much to ask for?

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This guy gets it. Douglas hasn’t had much to work with and some of his moves worked out and some haven’t. They were mostly prayers to begin with and cost little.

And also trading Jamal for Dallas 1st (later first rounder) and late round pick is just going to put us in a hole at safety and Jamal is still young and a good player. Robby for a 4th rounder? No thanks I would rather him be here for Darnold to throw to at that price. We don’t really know what else was offered for other players but judging by the offers that were leaked, we weren’t getting value that would be worth more than the player. Not to mention draft picks aren’t guaranteed successes either.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Swe-Jet like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1-2 starters as rookies will be nice but we are still looking at a losing season next year. Considering he hasn’t had a draft and already being questioned I’d imagine a losing season next year will get the pitchforks out for him too. The reality is this team is going to need 2 -3 good offseasons and Sam to be good in order to get this team into playoff contention. This fan base doesn’t have the patience for this. Most are holding JD responsible for the last 50 years. The Johnsons need to not listen to the fans and hope like hell that Joe D is the man they need him to be.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and chandler like this.
  12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

This is another lie just check our last 10 #1 picks & U will C that we were not in a rebuilding phase as U said:mad:

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I know. And I'm saying that as opposed to trashing him, there's nothing wrong with doubting him.

PennyRoyal10 likes this.
  14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I would think that JD would've been all in on Paridis if he had the opportunity and wouldn't have had reached out to Kalil. The Kalil signing was an attempt to right a wrong, it clearly hasn't worked out. I would rather an attempt on a one year deal be made than just standing pat. Let him evaluate Harrison the rest of this year and make a determination if he can be the answer for the short term/long term. Lord knows he already has to be upgrade 4 positions on the O line as it is...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

I think it can happen faster than that. The NFL can be a quick build league if you hit on some draft picks. The Colts revived their franchise with two drafts in essence and the team is still good even after Luck's retirement.

If Quinnen Williams can take a step forward next year, Cashman looks like he can start in this league, and we still have Herndon as well. There are some pieces to work with. A completely new offensive line can really revive this franchise and the tools are in place to do so.

Then again we're the Jets so we'll probably take Derrick Brown and resign Kalil and Beachum to hold the fort for another year.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Douglas signed some linebacker yesterday that hasn’t played in 2 years

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Joe was clearly waiting for his number to be called with Philly. He has a good pedigree

I think people are reading too much into things because they're so frustrated with the team

Jets gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. He wasn't desperate for a job

I am big fan of his attitude, philosophy and priorities. Now he needs a REAL chance to execute.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

The optics look bad but I believe he did lead the league in tackles one year at least...

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Adams is a good player, but he's not an impact player. Plus, he came across as overly sensitive after finding out the team listened to offers for him. He also thinks a little too highly of himself. If I can get a 1 and a mid round pick in an offseason trade, I'd have to think hard about it. We need impact players more than anything.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Next he'll be blamed that our top 5ILB are injured. Think about that.

Having said that, and as others have mentioned, team needs a deep dive on the injury situation. Is it our strength and conditioning programs or are we drafting/signing snowflakes

NCJetsfan likes this.