START with the brainless Ryan bashing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jonnyd, Sep 26, 2011.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think we can now start withe the Rex Ryan bashing.

HIS DEFENSE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

His defense cost us a Superbowl appearance last year in Pittsburgh.

His defense was EMBARRASSING against Dallas and if not for Romo being Romo, the Jets would be 1-2.

His defense lost a game yesterday against a one dimensional offense-a one man offense for that matter.

His defense was worse than EMBARRASSING yesterday.

For 3 years, he has struggled to put sustained pressure on QBs.

For 3 years hes been unable to stop a TE

In each of his 3 years, hes had games where his defense gave up huge drives late to lose games.

His brother showed him up in week one with half a team for God's sake!!

Whats up with the Rex?

2. ........

........ Trolls

The defense was atrocious, but you can't pin the loss entirely on them. No play was bigger than Cromartie's on ST, and Sanchez didn't help matters with that terrible throw in the end zone either. The playcalling was terrible throughout the 2nd half. It was a team loss.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I have to admit, the thread title made me chuckle.

4. jonnyd

Of course it was a team loss. Thats the underlying, clever reason for the thread ;).....BUT Ryan's defense is indeed smelly vagina

5. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I saw this guy on TV named Mangini. Sign this beast.

6. jonnyd

yeah but hes not a Mangini guy

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I am nowhere close to the point where I have any "bashing" of Rex Ryan.. especially since there has not been a period of extended poor play during his tenure.

But for all the praise Rex gets as being a defensive genius, which he is, he does deserve to take a hit for the way the D has played early this season. I'm sure he would be the first to tell you that as well. He knows it's a problem, and he will get it fixed. If it goes on like this for a few more weeks, then you can bet people will come out of the woodwork all over to take shots at Rex. He puts himself out there with all the talking he's done, and now people have been building it up inside waiting to take shots at him.

8. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Thread of the year, based on title alone.

I LOVE Rex (no homo), but the OP, whether seriously or not, raises some real issues. Is it coaching or personnel (in which case, we have to also cast the side eye at Tanny).

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Ryan is going to have to go back to the blitzing if he wants to see improvement over the short term. The Jets defense is not really built to support the 3 pegs approach at this point. The DL is actually pretty stout but the linebackers aside from Scott aren't really quick enough to control the flow the way you need too and they're weak in coverage downfield although fine in the flats.

David Harris is SLOW. Something is not right there because he was never particularly fast but he is like leadfoot now. Watching him get chased down on the interception of Brady in the playoffs last year just highlighted how little speed he actually has at this point.

10. jonnyd

I was serious, unfortunately

11. jonnyd

we commit a lot of penalties now it seems. We have less of a football IQ to use yesterday's term it seems as well. These are not good signs for a coaching staff.

12. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Bad thread title...

#1 defense 2 yrs ago
    #3 defense last year

This loss can be summed up by looking at 3 plays.

1. Sanchez int in the end zone. If he doesn't throw that pass and runs out of bounds or throws it away the Jets get at a minimum 3 points. The way they were manhandling the raiders at that time, it very well could have been 7. I forget what the score was then, but it would have made it very difficult for the raiders to come back.

2. The cromartie fumble. That was an easy 7 for the raiders. The D couldn't stop a nosebleed and the last thing we needed to do was give them a VERY short field.

3. The two back to back trick plays that ended up scoring. The tackling was horrible, and the reverse may have been a 6 yard loss. Instead it was a TD.

Even though McFadden torched us and the D couldn't get any pressure, the Jets were still in the game (granted it 10 pts was going to be tough to overcome) in the end of the 4th.

If either of those 3 (ok 4) plays goes our way, this game looks drastically different.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Raiders went 0-8 on third down. First time an NFL team has won after failing to convert on third down since 1995.

14. jonnyd

ummm they ran for 250 yards and we got no pressure on the QB. But that is fine? Its just eh 3 plays you mentioned huh? ok

15. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Every loss is a team loss.

That said, the offense played well enough for us to win the game. They were a mess at times, but 24 points on the road should get it done. For as much of a mess as this game was, the offense closed it to within one touchdown with plenty of time left for another drive, and the defense folded faster than a Chinese laundromat. With the game on the line, you can't let Jason Campbell drive down the field for points.

Obviously Ryan doesn't deserve bashing, but the defense hasn't really come to play in 2/3 of our games. That's not good. Our offense isn't good enough to take us to the playoffs if this becomes a trend.

16. jonnyd

yup. When you give up 70 and 25 and 30 yard runs on first, 3rd down dont matter

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Let me ask it another way.

If the defense holds the opponents to three TD's or less, what's our record ? ; )

18. mute

mute Well-Known Member

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bull. The Sanchez play was bad, and there is no excuse for throwing across the body once you've held the ball for 6 seconds. BUT............ Sanchez has won more games with his balls than he's cost. That's not even close.

The Defense needs to pick him up after a play like that.

Dallas went to twon on our D, and so did Oakland.

The offense for it's warts, hs been getting better.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Oaklands series after the pick was a 3 and out.