Sports Card Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, Sep 27, 2021.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Any Sports Cards collectors on this board? I got back into the hobby five years ago, recapturing my youth and making a small profit in the process.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I haven’t in years, but have all my stuff still. Hundreds of autographed items, cards from 1906-1990. Would love to go through it all one day. I do have a few things hanging in my man cave

2 sack exchange signed photos(signed in person)
    Steiner jets super bowl signed helmet,
    Autographed baseballs-
    Mariano river gane used save 367

yogi Berra/don Larsen signed ball

Pete rose, hank Aaron , Nolan Ryan signed ball

reggie Jackson signed ball

Ron Guidry signed ball

Stan Musial/ bob Gibson signed ball (signed in person)

3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I have a lot of signed cards and balls. Especially jets stuff. Let me know if your interested in purchasing.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I inherited a lot when my dad passed a couple years ago and have been interested in selling off a card here or there to make a couple grand. I was hoping to get 10's on BGS and offload the Clemens/McGwire rookie cards but they came back off centered and rendered useless.

I have the full 1978 set, and a lot of cards of Hank Aaron/Reggie Jackson (incl. rookie) throughout the years. Bunch of signed balls and stuff too.

Any guidance on selling? I really don't want to lay out the money to have some things graded by PSA (they take a percentage of what they dictate the value is, right?) and then have some of it unsellable. But it also seems like no one's buying without a grade.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  5. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Larson/Berra ball, sweet

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  6. typeOnegative13NY

I’m not a fan of the grading thing at all. I think it snobbed up the hobby. But it’s definitely true that selling online now, grading is important. I sold one card on eBay years back… a signed Mariano Rivera card… and the guy threw a fit of some imperfection that I could t even find after he sent it back. Never did it again.
    I guess a full disclosure will be ok, but will attract less money, but then again grading isnt cheap either.
    I think there are buyers at shows when they have them, maybe better to try in person. Or maybe hang onto them and pass them along

barfolomew likes this.
  7. HackettSuxTNG

Wow, you seem to have some nice stuff. The 1978 set is an absolute classic, chock full of hall-of-famers and a sweet Eddie Murray Rookie Card! Here is a nice article for you to check out regarding that set.

https://www.oldsportscards.com/1978-topps-baseball-cards/

The Jackson rookie is also a TOUGH find in good condition. What kind of shape is yours in?

Hank Aaron is red hot right now.

Regarding selling it really depends on how much time you have. eBay is simply the best option if you can invest the time. If you were to sell your entire set to a dealer, you would get a your payout quickest, but it is unlikely you will fetch top dollar.

Happy to help in any way.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. HackettSuxTNG

How far back does your Jets stuff go?

9. HackettSuxTNG

grading is also good if you own a card you intend the keep. Remember, regardless of the grade, you are also authenticating the card. Also, the grading slabs will keep them very well protected for many years.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Thanks man. Yeah the 78 set is cool and my dad was forward thinking and I actually have a bunch of duplicates of Murray and Trammel/Molitor rookie card. I want to sell one or a couple but I just don't want to lay out the percentage cut for it to be graded a 6 and be rendered relatively useless.

I have no interest in selling it all at once at least not for a long time. The Reggie card is in pretty good shape, but it was his prized possession and as morbid as it sounds - I won't sell it til Reggie passes at the very least.

I'm just looking to cash out on a couple of these for a couple grand.

I also have a 1953 Bowman Willie Mays with a massive crease down the middle that my uncle and dad bought for like $40 off someone years ago. I'd imagine it'll have some value even with the defect eventually. I also have a Gretzky rookie card (the less valuable one but still worth a good chunk) that would probably net me the most value if it grades out well.

Thanks for the insight, bud. I'll try to take a look at some other interesting stuff I have because there's boxes upon boxes of this stuff. What you got?

#10 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  11. typeOnegative13NY

I went looking through some of mine the other day after you posted this.

81 topps Montana rookie
    1912 Hassan triple christy Mathewson
    About 75% of the 51 topps red and blue back sets.
    52 topps duke snider
    56 topps willie Mays
    55 topps Jackie Robinson
    48 bowman warren spahn
    41 play ball honus Wagner
    58 topps Johnny Unitas
    68 topps Ryan/koosman
    85 topps McGwire
    around 100 signed Chrebet cards(my fav jet)

I know there’s a bunch of other cool stuff in there. Like a few signed Namath cards. There’s one called passing the torch signed on one side by joe, the other side by Pennington.

#11 typeOnegative13NY, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  12. HackettSuxTNG

If the Reggie Card is truly his prized possession, You ABSOLUTELY should get it graded. Again, regardless of grade, it is authenticated, and preserved for you to enjoy for the rest of your life.

Here is a picture of the crown jewel of my collection:

[​IMG]

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. HackettSuxTNG

This is a VERY impressive list. ANYTHING you have listed above from 1960 or earlier can be worth significant money, in any condition. Cards that old are rare, and even ones in horrible condition, like jonathan_vilma's 1953 Willie Mays card can be worth some money, because people who simply can not afford one in good condition will pay to own those cards in ANY condition.

The Ryan/Koosman card is an interesting one. It has been getting a lot of submnissions to PSA lately, as Ryan cards a red hot. Sureits worth money, but if you have a rare one that would grade 8 or higher, you are talking significant money.

Be careful of the McGwire card. A Gem-Mint 10 is worth big bucks, but tens of thousands of them have been submitted over the past year, that even the prices of Mint 9 cards have dropped.

14. HackettSuxTNG

Let me know more about that Montana Card and if you have any interest in selling. :)

15. Jonathan_Vilma

That's a dope card. How'd you get it? What's the value?

You're right on the McGwire thing. I had my McGwire/Clemens cards graded because gem mint 10s can pick up $4-5k each. They were right out of the sealed set and only got 7/7.5 because of center. So weak.

16. HackettSuxTNG

My wife bought me that card as a first Wedding anniversary 19 years ago. Needless to say, it has gone up in value from then.

I know it is Cliche' but there is more to the hobby than making money. I like to collect cards of players who mean something for me. For those of you who know me, as a proud Villanova Alum, I like to collect the rookie cards of Villanova players who have gone pro. I bought all four of these, and got them graded myself:

[​IMG]

17. typeOnegative13NY

Thanks! Now I can’t wait to go through it all to see what else is there.
    I stupidly bought the McGwire at the tail end of its popularity after the home run race. It had went down, but did t expect it to plummet as it did. The Ryan is probably a 5 or 6 at best. But paid $16 back in the 80s as a kid.

18. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I have some super bowl iii and other namath stuff. Sack exchange signed portrait of all members. A lot of early 2000s stuff too, santana moss coles etc. Also some non jets stuff, elway, aikman Emmett smith

19. HackettSuxTNG

A Nolan Ryan Rookie Card rated PSA 5 just sold on eBay in excess of $1,000:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1442128923...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Remember Everyone: These cards are only worth what people are willing to pay for them! Therefore, when you check eBay, make sure you check prices cards SOLD and not what new listings are asking for. Huge Difference!

20. HackettSuxTNG

A couple of my favorite Jets Pieces. God, Older cards had a class of their own....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

barfolomew likes this.