Speed, Power, or Balanced RB?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by FITM, Apr 9, 2006.

?

Speed, Power, or Balanced RB?

1. Speed

46.3%
  2. Power

19.5%
  3. Balanced

34.1%
  1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

if every guy on your team is 99 speed but the other things are low...you can still win pretty easily...just run away from the defenders :lol:

2. McNazTee

McNazTee New Member

I always want two RBs... but my main one is POWER... if I can get 3 yards no matter what, no one can stop me. Curtis Martin is the perfect mix (if he was 10 years younger)

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Power? Speed?

I chose power, but the more I think of it, I prefer balanced.

Indeed, in drafting RB, STR and SPD are the only two stats I care, as you can't raise them.

In case of:

WR: SPD
    LB: SPD/ACC
    DT/DE: STR

Other positions - I don't really care.

4. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

RUnning back in madden this is my choice
    Speed 93+
    Stength 60 or higher
    Breaktackles 75+
    The thing with breaktackles is when you play on all madden it doesnt make a difference 9 times out of 10 your going be taken down no matter how good the breaktackles are. So Speed is definatley better

5. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Power, in my 3rd season for the Jets I have a guy who is 6'1 267 with an 89 speed, also Brandon Jacobs, Greg Jones as my FB and another guy who is 5'11 247 with 87 speed

6. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

As said, speed. You can't teach speed, you can teach power. And a speed guy with some brtck is even better. Plus, speed is more helpful with jukes and spins- the other moves you can use besides the truck stick so you don't get brought down.

The truth is neither is important. I Focus a lot on the line. I have a whole OL (5 guys) with 99 overall and all under 27. With that, it doesn't matter what kind of back you have. The hottest thing for OL is OT. Good tackles are the hardest to find. Tackles can be shift to any where in the line too, and their ratings will go up. I've shifted Eric Winston OT from Miami, to OG and C before and he kicked ass.

7. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I like speed RBs who can turn corners and beat LBs to the sidelines, because that's the easiest way to get a first down in Madden, not by running up the middle.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Well. My experience tells me that you can go the distance with the belly runs. (Those "Dive" runs, that is.)

9. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I like mine fast enough to get to the corner but strong enough to plow over a cb while out there.

10. Drew

Drew Active Member

definitley. Bennett is nasty. Give him some room and he's gone.

11. Zcore

Zcore New Member

Perfect example of that is Lamont Jordan...he is strong enough to go between the tackles too. Most of you guys were mentioning drafting guys, so that must mean you guys don't play online. i don't even bother playing offline anymore

12. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

speed is everything when the ful back can stop the first guy, it gives you the strenght to get by the next

13. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

IF. IF. IF.

That's the problem with speed, it makes you ever more dependent on your OL and FB. And sure if EVERYTHING works out perfect and you read it all right, its easier to take it the distance, ofcourse. But power makes you more independent. Before we drafted Carnell, I would trade for Steven Jackson. With a Power back I could do 2 stiff arms and a truck/dive/protect ball foward most of the time and earn my yards regardless of what my crappy protection did.

Ofcourse if you have KC line, speed if best, so that they dont have to hold up the holes that long. But if you have the other half of NFL lines, and you don't get the blissful protection you want, a Power back is the way to go. Speed wont get you anywhere if the defense isn't atleast blocked, caugt up, busy, or slowed down.

14. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

most of that relieys on the playing style anyway but your right, blocking makes the speed back

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I like to have both on my roster, but if only one, I'll take a big power back. I did a franchise mode w/ the Texans, simmed the first year, ended up with #4 pick, and took Reggie Bush and traded for TJ Duckett. Bush ran for 1800 yards and Duckett for 1400; Duckett came in 5th in the league in broken tackles and only had around 180 carries. He had nearly 100 broken tackles.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It depends on the situation. I like to use a speed back online because the risk of fumbling with the truck stick is too great. But when I'm not online, I can absolutely kill defensive backs with Greg Jones of the Jaguars. Switch Jones and Taylor in the backfield and mix it up. You'll get nasty results.

I have to try it online, I usually use the Redskins, but Brunell keeps getting hurt so I think I'll next use the Jaguars. Anyone who has PS2 online.. Add me.. JonVilm518 and just message me your TGG username.

#36 Jonathan_Vilma, May 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2005
  17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I like a balanced back.

I play NCAA much more than Madden, but I do anticipate playing Madden 07 quite a bit this year.

When I play NCAA I can't get enough of the run. My run to pass ratio is about 2.5 to 1.

With Madden I am much more balanced.

I-Formation, Ace Slot, Weak Slot, and Strong Normal are my favorites.

I like to play as Georgia. I utilize Thomas Brown, Danny Ware, and Kregg Lumpkin. I really like the running back by committee approach in NCAA.
    Alabama gives me good games, too.
    I win with them and I'm 0-2 going against them.
    I lost a tight one to them while playing as Rutgers in the snow in Piscataway.
    I lost to them last week where they scored a TD in the last minute to take the lead. Then I returned the kickoff for a TD with 11 seconds remaining. Then Croyle threw an 80-yard touchdown as time expired.
    Typical EA game vs the computer.

EDIT- In that crazy game I played as Arkansas. I gave Cory Boyd 46 carries. Five minute quarters. I was losing by double digits entering the 4th quarter and Bama scored two touchdowns in the 4th, so I scored often.
    That game received the #1 Greatest Game award.

#37 Cakes, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  18. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

Balanced, with a power back number 2.

One of my franchises has McGahee backed up by Najeh Davenport. It's great.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

This thread makes me want to go play a game of NCAA. Too bad my PS2 is near death. Some days it works, others it doesn't.

If I can get it to work, I'll play as Florida State and hand off to Leon Washington about 45 times.

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

HAHAHA thats what I do, Leon Washington is untouchable in NCAA. he plays with so much power, not to mention he practically ice skates on the grass.

if you really wanna be cheap put Lorenzo Booker at qb with the spread offense. lol

my ps2 is shot out too, it makes the constant grinding noise while operating, ive gotten more than my moneys worth, played the hell out of it. lol.