Sources: Cowher didn't want to coach Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sunnygs97, Dec 31, 2008.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Cowher would of rather had Brad smith as QB and made him slash around like a douchebag.

2. Favre_4_Ever

Favre_4_Ever New Member

At least you admit to liking the Favre trade. Half of the people for the trade see how it turned out and say it was the worst trade in franchise history. I think if the Jets hire Shanahan, Favre will be back or even Spagnuolo, but they will assess the arm situation and go from there, but personally I think he will be back. And plus if he has a full training camp with the recieving core he will NOT lead the league in interceptions, I gaurantee it.

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I look at what we gave up for it, a 3rd rounder (No big deal) and Pennington (Like i said i feel we had to part), i liked that we took a chance, it showed ambition, in hindsight it didn't work out but there is no point dwelling on it. Favre could come back next year, thats possible, but if he does then i want to see us pick up a exciting QB in the draft (See Avi :beer:), so we won't be up in the air next season. Although i personally feel like Favre will retire this off-season.

4. Favre_4_Ever

Favre_4_Ever New Member

Personally I think Tebow won't slip that far and I don't think he will prosper in the NFL which is a Pass first league, not a (scramble) first league. I.E. Tebows strength.

5. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Before this season i would of said the same thing, but he really has developed this year, his passing ability has increased, i seem to be in the minority in believing that he will be one hell of a QB in the NFL. Mock drafts have him going anywhere from the top 10 to the 4th round.

6. Bosko

Bosko Guest

I have to add myself to the list o people who supported the trade for Favre.
    I didn't see the downside.
    I thought Chad was washed up.
    I thought it would be great to see what a great QB could do with the jets' receivers.
    And you know what?

For most of the season, it didn't look so bad.

7. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Absolutely, sitting at 8-3 we were looking pretty good with this Favre guy, and then it went downhill, credit it to what you like, Favre getting reckless, bad game planning, his injury or his age, but i supported it at the start, i supported it at 8-3 and i support it now even though the end result was failure.

8. Favre_4_Ever

Favre_4_Ever New Member

I agree sitting 8-3 was nice but Favre can't do anything when he is getting sacked thirty times this year, and you know Mangini dropped the ball on playcalling 3/4 of the way thru the season.

9. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I'm not much for placing blame, but everyone has to take some responsibility, Mangini's play calling, Favre's throws, Coles dropped passing, the inability of the defense to stop the run etc etc etc, we could look at every player and every coach and pin-point moments where they contributed to our down-fall, but to me that's all in the past, now I'm looking forward to whats best for this organization which in my opinion means finding a new coach and finding a new QB.

10. Favre_4_Ever

Favre_4_Ever New Member

If you are looking ahead Favre should be in your picture, because if he gets a training camp in the offense will start to click. Coles wont drop passes and Favre wont throw interceptions. You would take a rookie QB over Brett Favre? I'll take my chances with Favre's decision making abilities any day of the week.

11. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

A new coach needs to build chemistry, and I'm not talking about re-building, Favre is gone after next season, at some point we are going to have to get a QB in there for the future, and you can still make the play-offs with that guy, just look at Ryan in Atlanta and Flaco in Baltimore, i think that a new coach should be able to build with a new QB. Just a personal opinion, but that's the way that i see it.

12. Phear

Phear New Member

Chad had the season he had because the fins cs knew how to use him. If he stayed with this team I don't think jones has a season like he did, jones said it himself " it helps a lot when u don't have 8 or 9 guys in the box"

Willie u give chad a pass for his crap play last seasons shitty play. However, you do not give clemens the same pass why?

Did chad have a great year? Yes. Would he have done as well with the jets cs? Doubt it.

13. Bosko

Bosko Guest

You make several excellent points, and I agree with almost everything you say... Except that Kellen Clemens didn't exactly cover himself in glory last year, nor in this preseason. To me, he looked like yet another bad draft decision by the Tangini regime.

Ratliff, on the other hand???

14. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

There will be no Cowher Power for the Jets. Bill Cowher informed the team last night he is not interested in their head-coaching job, and it could be because he doesn't want to coach Brett Favre. The former Steeler coach was the clear-cut favorite to replace Eric Mangini among Jets fans, and the team's ownership. Now, Woody Johnson must move on to Plan B. Talks between the Jets and Cowher never advanced past the preliminary stage. Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback, and that he also wanted to bring in people he was familiar with to handle personnel. A source familiar with Cowher's thinking said before last night's decision came down that the former Steeler boss would have to receive assurances from the Jets that the 39-year-old Favre no longer was in the picture before agreeing to take control

I wanna say something about that Cowher not taking the job cause of brett crap. READ the ARTICLE. What in the hell is a source familiar with Cowher's thinking? Seriously...somebody actually published this sh-t. Reporting involves SOURCES, and somebody familiar with somebody's thinking isn't a f-ckin source! STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID

15. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

If this story is even partly true, then that tells me Favre is definitely coming back. Or is Cowher turning down the Jets on a "what if" scenario? I think this story is total speculation. Any of us could come up with other reasons Cowher turned down an interview.

16. WickedBadMan

WickedBadMan New Member

What a bunch of BS lol.

It's more likely than not Favre doesn't come back than does, and the source is someone who thinks they know how Cowher thinks?

Honestly jump the gun a little bit faster.

17. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Of course it is pure speculation, the fact that it came from the post should be proof enough that it's just speculation. Like i said with my first post in this topic, the author woke up one cold winters day and thought he would go with the flow of blaming everything on Favre, why stop with the season decline, lets keep going for future coaches.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Tebow will stay in school. If not he will be a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. He just doesn't project to be a great NFL QB.

19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

While I'll agree Favre certainly cost us on the field and capwise this year, I can't blame him for Cowher IF this report is in any way accurate. I wouldn't expect anyone to make a decision on retirement in less than a week after the season, much less the all-time drama queen.

I blame Woody - he's holding us hostage because the Favre name's still good for business and he's the one that's letting Favre run the team because of it. Hell I'd say Favre and Woody are both using each other for money.

#79 NYJFan10, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  20. keypusher

keypusher Member

Which is how?

Dolphins, Pats and Bills fans everywhere hope you are right.