Soon to be Champs !

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Feb 6, 2011.

1. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

Thanks for your civil response and for admitting that you went a little over the top. I don't think we are all that far apart, but we'll have to agree to disagree somewhat on Tanny. I think he certainly has the potential to be one of the best GMs in the league, and he is already better than many, but is not in the same class as Colbert, Thompson or Newsome yet. He is smart and a work in progress, so he can get there, imo.

I also disagree somewhat on your ratings of Turner and Hunter. Both did play markedly better this season, although Hunter struggled somewhat badly in his first game. Until they have done it on a consistent basis, however, I think there are still questions to their value and ability. Don't forget that Hunter failed as a starter elsewhere, and even though he's been with the Jets for several seasons, there has always been a pretty steep dropoff when he plays. He hasn't had great success when used as a blocking FB, either, nor has Turner.

What two DL did the Jets lose? We lost Jenkins, but if you're referring to Pitoitua, he was not a starter. He was projected to be a big contributor this past season by Rex, but has never actually been a big contributor. I think he has great potential, but I want to see actual production from him before I can say that his was a big loss this past season. If you're referring to Green or Douglas from 2009, Green didn't sign with a club until GB suffered a lot of injuries and that late in the season, and I'm not sure Douglas ever lasted with another club.

The secondary is the strength of the club, or one of its strenghts, but that is because it has been focused on so much. Not many other units on the team have added as many draft picks and FAs as the secondary has over the last 3-5 years. That, as I see it, is one of Tanny's shortcomings. He tends to focus most of his attention on certain units and ignore others. That's how our front 7 has gotten so old, and until the drafting of Ferguson and Mangold, our OL had. To be sure, he has improved in that regard, finding Pitoitua, Dixon and picking up Gilbert and Tevaseau. Hopefully, this year is the year he focuses on the front 7, especially OLB.

You may be right that Tanny isn't the one that falls in love with players, but it is his right and responsibility to overrule the HC when he thinks the HC is making a mistake. Granted, you want to give a new HC the players and tools he wants as much as possible, but as a GM he can't do that all the time, unless he happens to agree with the HC.

With regard to FB, I agree that Conner looks like he will be a very good one, and should be the starter in 2011, but there are many other positions that will have a bigger impact on the team than FB. IMO, one doesn't trade up for a FB, especially when one already has a great vet FB on one's roster, and a young, developmental FB that one is very high on. In addition, most teams don't even waste a roster spot on a FB. They use an OL or TE to function as a FB, so the Jets didn't have to draft Conner. There are also a slew of FBs available as FAs or UFAs every season. That is an area where I think Tanny perhaps shoudl have overruled Rex, but since it was lower round picks we're talking about, I'm not gonna beat him up too much over that. It's more a matter of principle in this case.

The Jets will only get compensatory picks for FAs if they are signed by another team, and then only if the Jets don't sign the same number of players who are at the same compensation level or higher.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The pirate ship is in Tampa Bay, Lucas Oil Stadium has no ship.