Some defensive stats so far.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

the good:

-We are tied for the lead league in takeaways (16). of course some teams have only played 6 games (like the bills) and the ravens have 14 in 5 games but either way we're still at the top of this list.

- we're ranked 5th in passing yards allowed per game. under 200

- 6th in opposing QB completion percentage (54.1%)

- tied for 4th in 3rd down defense. 1 percentage point behind san fran/detroit/washington who are all at 31%.

-we're 5th in sacks, again....that's with a couple of teams only playing 6 games so far. but still close to the top of the league. what's interesting is the lack of separation among teams. 2-3 sacks are the difference between being top 5 and barely top 15. so that stat may not be as meaningful this season

-believe it or not, we're top 10 in least defensive penalties and total yardage. offense not so good. we're 10th worst in yardage and number of offensive penalties

the bad

-we're 26th in rushing yards against per game at 126 a pop. Terrible considering how many 100 yard rushers we allowed in the past 2 years combined (1? maybe 2?)

-although this makes the above stat not as bad, it's not great by any means; we're 16th in yards per carry allowed.

-13th in points allowed per game. although that stat is a bit deceptive due to defensive TDs against us or turnovers deep in our own territory. i can't find the filtered numbers

I was hoping to find some stats on QB hits/pressures for defenses, but i can only find it for the offensive line (holy crap is bradford getting killed. its not even close)

Obviously stopping the run has been an issue, i'm sure if we dive into it we'll see that it's the big runs for over 20 yards that are killing us. We seem to be pretty good at making 2-3 stops for a loss or no gain and then teams bust a long one. that almost never happened in 09 or 10.

While i couldnt find stats to back it up, TEs are still killing us. i'm pretty sure we're at the bottom of the league in terms of yards against and receptions

#1 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The offensive penalties have a lot to do with Mangold being out. That was a real issue.

They fix the run D to the previous two years, this D will be able to hurt people.

The secondary is awesome. The Crevison monster is doing well.

3. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

According to FootballOutsiders here are the Jets vs various receivers:
    #1WR - rank 1
    #2WR - rank 6
    OtherWR - rank 30
    TE - rank 21
    RB - rank 5

4. Tenn_JetsFanatic

good to know .... kind of positive considering how shitty they look during game time sometimes