Soccer... Premier League, La Liga, Champions League and more

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Sep 23, 2018.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If he isn't one, then I misread some of the replies to him earlier in the page that referenced an asterisked title.

Your post, in fact, 'You'll have to settle for a league title with an asterisk next to it'

Besides all of that, the point still stands whichever club he supports, he has taken a few swipes at City and the one I replied to was a little pathetic tbh.

2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I thought that was what you were suggesting, but wanted to be sure. I'm a Swindon Town fan, so no specific axe to grind against any premier league team.

I accept my comment was a little flippant, but it was made to the view that money has removed a lot of the uncertainty and therefore fun from the game for me.

There have been 7 winners in the 28 years of the premier league, 10 before that. Newcastle are the only runners up not to win the premier, in the previous 28 years there were 4 (Ipswich twice). 7 winners of the fa cup, 13 in the pre- prem period. I think that difference makes it more exciting, and money in the prem era is, in my opinion, the key reason.

There are also clubs going to wall, struggling to survive, clubs with history that matter to their local communities (as prem clubs do as well, of course), I think this is a shame. The prem ensuring the money is not as equitably distributed as it was plays a part (bad management of these clubs also plays a part).

Tldr: Money has made football less interesting and fun (in my opinion).

K'OB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  3. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Sorry if that's how it came across, I have nothing against Man City, specifically (my dad was a City fan - back to the days of Lee, Bell and Summerbee, I've celebrated many City wins with him).

#223 donkey, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    K'OB likes this.
  4. K'OB

Your comment on the not even a year ban was poor.

A comment led by the shit your read in the press or heard on the TV, not the same as what City fans were hearing.

Uefa tried to stitch us over and failed miserably, FFP was invented for the sole purpose of keeping the powerful cartel of clubs at the top and ensuring they get their easy champs league cash, in effect cash for failure as it was easy for teams like Liverpool and Arsenal to finish top 4 only and get to the quarters and make a shit ton of money, once they didn't qualify for a couple of years it leaves a big hole in the balance sheet, they also failed FFP but got let off on the flimsy excuse that they used money to upgrade Anfield, City's ground just grew bigger organically and cost nothing apparently.

One thing I do agree with you about and that is money has wrecked football, it was always bad but 1m just didn't sound as bad 40 years ago as 80m nowadays, the players wages are disgusting as well.

I do remember you saying Swindon in previous conversations now, it was the quoted posts above that confused the issue a little, sort of like me being a lifelong City fan but still looking out for your hometown team.

Swindon Town a double Summerbee connection, though the first was a whole lot better than the later lol

donkey likes this.
  5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Really interesting points about City being stitched up, not a narrative often reported, so thanks for that.

You're certainly right about the Summerbees, too.

If I did have anything against City it would be that they got this good after my Dad passed on, so he never got to see it.:(

K'OB likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Not sure how Liverpool's title win could be construed by anyone to have an asterisk. I mean, I hate them more than I hate any other sports team on the planet, I really wish there was one, but they'd won it before lockdown. All it needed was the i dotting.

7. K'OB

I'm not sure I only mentioned it as you had said that to Donkey and used the term you will lol

They should have an asterisk after it for the use of var in their favour.

8. K'OB

Hmm not sure either but only mentioned for the above reasons.
    Though they should asterisk it for all the help VAR handed out all season.

9. K'OB

I'm sorry to hear that Donkey, the usual complaint of a City fan was missing the golden period of the late 60's early 70's. I was born in 72 and missed it all, instead having to watch Uts rise in power and dominate for years
    I see this new era as payback for all the hard times lol

There is a new issue developed with this CAS verdict, they should have released their full findings for people to read and digest but it is now a week late, the rumour I heard is that UEFA have asked them not to do so. Which is very interesting if true.
    A lot of people feel the Arab element is at the heart of the dislike from people in power.

Nobody minded when they boosted British horse racing though, strange world at times.

10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Yep, my Dad got the glory years early on... and then had to pay it back! :)

As for reports, some can take 10 months to be published...

11. K'OB

It is a week overdue apparently?

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Which of you Brits can I turn into an honorary Galatasaray fan? I hear Milwall fans love to mess with Leeds fans using Galatasaray flags. Is that true?

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

You know why Leeds fans hate Galatasaray I assume? Some (many) Millwall fans are just assholes and will deliberately goad the opposition with stuff like this. They can't help the fact that they still think its 1970 I guess.

14. Brook!

Of course. Not gonna defend what those racist Galatasaray fans did. They belonged to the racist MHP party.
    Funny story. Later in life I became good friends with an Englishman who was a cop back in Leeds and was on duty at Leeds-Galatasaray game.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  15. K'OB

Did he show you his truncheon?

:eek:

donkey likes this.
  16. Brook!

Lol. He is now a Sales VP for a Soap Manufacturing company here in USA.

K'OB likes this.
  17. K'OB

I was always told never to bend over for soap in the showers.

Just saying :p

Brook! likes this.
  18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Villa stay up. Was very very tense all throughout the day, but we've done it. So over the moon

FinnishJET and Brook! like this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

also, I saw that our Trézéguet might be moving back to Turkey and Galatasaray. CC @Brook!

Brook! likes this.
  20. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Great comeback In the last 20 games ,to qualify for Europe, worth 50 mill pounds at least and save a cut in sponsorship too

Brook! likes this.