So- was Sanchez “a bust”?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Apr 18, 2019.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

when your a QB and your claim to fame is a but fumble & eating a hotdog on the bench during a game, I would say he was a bust.o_O

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

No way was Sanchez a bust. He'd be in the hall of fame if it weren't for his Mexican heritage.

3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

It’s fascinating reading everyone’s take, along with their logical explanations on both sides of the discussion.

Really interesting. I guess at minimum he was an enigma.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The team around Sanchez was stacked. Any game manager would have had a fighting chance with that roster.

Yes, the Jets won 4 road playoff games against the best QB’s of all time. Pretending those victories belong to Sanchez is a joke. He played well enough to help the team win. End of story.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Remember the Play of the ages? a.k.a the ASS fumble?

No way in hell this comes from a bust. He's a hall of a fame QB right there.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This thread would be on page 70 if junc was here.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

100 with SDF

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Nope I blame that on Brook

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing.

2 AFCC losses are better than 1 SB win.:confused:

Jets81 and abyzmul like this.
  10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Things Sanchez gets blamed for but shouldnt:
    1) Being drafted by the Jets at pick 5. That year, it was Matt Stafford as the #1 pick, then Sanchez at 5, Josh Freeman at 17, Pat White at 44. Sanchez was the second best QB that year, no doubt. But he clearly was a reach at the 5 pick. The Jets were desperate. Sanchez should've listened to Pete Carroll and stay at USC another year. He was too green.
    2) Not making it to the Super Bowl. The run defense were a brick wall all season but were gashed by the Steelers in that first half. Sanchez played well throughout the playoffs and was a gamer in that one, throwing 2 TD's in the second half and bringing them within 5 pts. Had the defense made one more stop and given the offense one more series I think Sanchez would have scored again and gotten them the road win. It was a good playoff run for him. Obviously the Jets braintrust thought he turned the corner and he was FQB material but that was a mistake.
    3) Being a Jet in the Pats NFL: The NFL allowed pass rushers to tee off on Sanchez. Helmet to Helmet, late hits... Always seemed they threw zero flags with Sanchez but had a protective bubble around Brady like he was shrinkwrapped.

11. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Sanchez was incredibly inaccurate and unable to read a defense. Yes, he was a bust. Both years the team reached the AFC championship despite Sanchez. We grew accustomed to very mediocre play from him. Sanchez did have some moments in the playoffs both years, but with a qb in the top 5, you expect him to be better for longer.

I’m also not sure if we did a terrible job developing Sanchez or if he just wasn’t truly committed to the job. All the dating of models, etc

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

By any game manager you mean what? Ben Rothlisberger in his first year on Pittsburgh? A game manager by definition is someone who has the experience to make NFL reads and deliver the ball on time. That's a big ask for a rookie.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I always felt that Josh Freeman would have done better here than Sanchez--and I highly doubt Sanchez would have done better anywhere.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have read many intelligent fans on this forum say ridiculous stuff about Mark Sanchez. #2 on your list is at the top. It happened so many times. He was blamed for the 2 AFC Championship losses, when it was clear the defense let the team down. Many fans would say "If only we had a good QB! Sanchez sucks!" when in reality, he played really well in both AFC Championship Games. He had a 17-6 lead, with an 80 yard touchdown pass in 2009, and in 2010 he nearly brought the team completely back after a horrendous first half by the defense. (A questionable fumble call for a TD too). They needed 1 more stop and the defense did not deliver. We will never know, but I think Sanchez leads the Jets to the Super Bowl if the defense makes that stop.

NYJetsO12, PulseJet and Acad23 like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Someone needs to watch less sportscenter

FJF likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I mean a quarterback who may not be able to make all the throws or every read but can generally protect the ball.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A guy who can't make all the throws on an NFL route tree isn't drafted at 5 or asked to start as a rookie. Those are guys who hang around as backups. We didn't draft Sanchez to be a game manager. Rex turned him into a game manager based on the team we had. He took us as far as any game manager takes those two teams.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

All I said was that any game manager could have had success with that roster. Do you agree, or do you think Sanchez made the team better?

And I agree, we didn’t draft Sanchez to be a game manager. He was a bust and that was his ceiling.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We drafted Sanchez to sell PSL. We were moving into the new stadium the following year. He had an 8 year NFL career. He wasn't a bust. He was over drafted to sell seat licenses and he did.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So, because he was supposedly drafted to sell PSL’s he can’t be a bust? Because he had an unremarkable 8 year career he can’t be a bust? Is that what you’re saying?

You also didn’t answer my question.