So... this conflict in the Gaza strip.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Ok and were you a civilian living just with your family or what?

True or False if I am a white Christian living in the Middle East am I at risk of being persecuted for my religion? Am at at higher risk of being taken captive just because I am a westerner? Say Im living in a Muslim country and I fell in love with a Muslim girl and we wanted to date each other, what then?

And really dude, I have to actually go and live in the Middle East before I'm allowed to analyze the Koran? F off.

2. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

It's not political correctness with which I am discrediting your posts. I'm simply pointing out that it's easier to make sweeping generalizations about an entire religion if you don't have a personal connection.

I work with many Muslims (here and abroad). My cousin married a Muslim girl from a Middle Eastern country. I have hung out with her family a handful of times. They welcomed me ad my family (which is quite large) into their homes during the wedding. Honestly, I find far more hatefulness on this message board than I ever saw from any one of them.

Point being: It's not the religion. It's the people.

So when you say "it's a hateful religion," you're not analyzing the religion and its effect on the world; you're just being ignorant.

No different than jets fans who hate pats fans or vice versa because they only tend to see each other in the worst situations. Or people who talk about what "black people are like" by looking at the crime rate in Dorchester.

Correlation does not equal causation, my man.

You want me to address the points you have made. I am -- by telling you your entire premise is flawed. Fix that part and let's go from there.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was military twice and civilian twice.

What country are you talking about? Or do you think "the Middle East" is a country?

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No you guys are the ignorant ones

I'm glad you had positive experiences with Muslims and live in Muslim countries without incident.

Please explain to me:

-how the Koran is anything but hate speech towards non-Muslims

-how Islam doesn't fuel religiously inspired violence above and beyond every other religion combined

- how Islam is anything but the least tolerant religion on the planet

5. abyzmul

I wasn't addressing the Koran, or Islam, I was addressing the people in those regions. Either continue the discussion you were starting or shut the fuck up.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well, I've been talking about the Koran and Islam the whole time. Along the way I acknowledged there are many peaceful Muslims. What's your beef, That I haven't lived there so I can't say analyze it? That's like saying the only people that can analyze pro football are ex NFL players.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It always gets back to the Nazis. When are we going to leave those folks alone, haven't they been vilified enough already?

_

8. abyzmul

My beef is that you think every muslim on the planet will die for the rules in a religious book, when christians will break the rules of their particular book on a daily basis. You included.

9. abyzmul

Yeah, fuck that, I lived in Landstuhl for 2 years and they are some of the least accommodating and rudest people on the planet. Anyone that thinks NYers are rude need to visit that asshole town.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No dude I really don't. Please go back and quote any specific content from my posts that you feel is untrue. I don't think Muslims are bad people. I think the religion of Islam is bad. I think that religion incites them to do bad things. When Christians do evil things like killing others, it is clearly against the religion. When Muslims do it it is actually in accordance with their religion. The religion itself fuels the violence.

11. abyzmul

"True or False if I am a white Christian living in the Middle East am I at risk of being persecuted for my religion? Am at at higher risk of being taken captive just because I am a westerner?"

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth to make a bad argument. Quit while you're not too far behind.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Haha I've only been to a small town in Bavaria and those folks were great. Of course it was a cancer clinic so they were used to treating folks nicely. Btw, most of the nurses were originally from East Germany and they were incredibly sweet, nice and completely deferential to the West German doctors (who were also very nice).

By the time I got to Munich I was fully emersed in the culture--beer--so if they were rude I didn't notice.

_

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Answer the question then. As a Western Christian, where else in the world is my danger of being religiously persecuted higher than in an Islam dominated country?

14. abyzmul

You've never been anywhere. So I'm assuming that you are going to list the many, many instances of persecution, and not just make some idiotic generalization.

15. abyzmul

East Germans may be some of the happiest people I've ever met. Not surprising.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

And there's nothing contradictory about my statements.

Let's keep the meaning but change the context:

Most Germans during WW2 were good people.

True or False if I am a Jew living in the Germany during WW2 am I at risk of being persecuted for my religion? Am at at higher risk of being taken captive just because I am a Jew?

17. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

The grown up answer is, "it depends."

Again, it's the people and the situation, not the religion itself. You are talking about a very, very small minority of extremists and using it to label the entire group. It's like talking about the fundamentalist, snake-handling or faith-based healing sect of Christianity and saying it applies to Christianity as a whole.

Now, there might be a higher percentage of fundamentalists in Islam than in other religions (I really don't know), but even if that is the case, it is still a very small percentage... It's like freaking out over a difference between a 0.00000001% chance of dying from a shark bite and a 0.00001% chance of dying from a bee sting. "OMG! It's 1000 times more likely to happen!" But still not very likely to happen, overall.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I've lived on 3 different continents. I've lived in countries where I was in religious minority. You know a fuck all of nothing about me. If you wanna debate any of my points or facts or issues about Islam that I've brought up then be my guest. So far all you've been doing is trying to discredit my opinion by attacking me personally.

Sorry dude, that's a load of crap. Yes, the extremists may be a small minority, but when hundreds of thousands of Christians are being persecuted by Islamic extremists on religious grounds, when the slavery and rape of women is considered a normal occurrence, when thousands of innocents are killed every single month in the name of Allah, then I think I have a right to criticize.

19. abyzmul

The meaning is totally different, since you are now using a nationalist argument based on ethnicity to justify your religious argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.