So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

One ... with Bobby Beathard's players. Then he had another 10 years of watching the team steadily get worse. Then he spent four years in Houston where he accomplished nothing.

2. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

So, a person with some success and who knows the business enough to be considered an expert. He's not asking Casserly to be the GM, just to help him find a GM and HC.

I guess I don't understand the notion of jumping to negative conclusions. If Woody goes on his own, people bash him for going on his own. If he hires a couple of experts, people denigrate the experts.

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Here's why ... because anyone who has watched 20 minutes of an NFL game and has management experience greater than running the day shift at the local Blockbuster knows that if the goal is to put the Jets in the best possible position, then you hire the General Manager first (because you consider that person to be the best qualified to run your team) and then you allow that general manager to hire a Head Coach. Only a complete buffoon would even consider hiring a head coach before hiring that head coach's boss ... the only way it would even remotely make business (or sports) sense is if you were hiring the same person to be both the GM and HC; that's not what's going on here.

Casserly was steered to the Jets to make a mess of the situation. All Casserly is concerned with is getting his buddies a job. Wolf signed on to get his son a promotion in Green Bay (which he did). And make no mistake about it, someone tampered with Marrone because there's no F'ing way he resigned without knowing he had another job lined up. Woody Johnson is quickly becoming a clown on the level of James Dolan; and Dolan is the worst owner in the history of professional sports.

#143 Unhappyjetsfan, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Gunther and The 1985er like this.
  4. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Have you figured out the Kennedy assassination too?

But where's the "mess"? I see no evidence of it. Just some bum who decided to take a paid vacation from head coaching, which he wasn't doing such a bang-up job at anyway. And, last time I looked, nobody's been hired.

5. Unhappyjetsfan

It's going to be Marrone and Maccagnan. Anyone who has paid any attention to the Jets over the last 30 years can see the writing on the wall.

6. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

So, this notion is based upon 30 years of Jets watching? I thought it was Casserly...

7. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It works differently on each team. Some owners want to control every aspect of personnel decisions, others don't want to have control.

Let's take Robert Kraft for example. Does Bill Belichick call him and ask for permission before he cuts a player? Nope. When you hear Kraft in interviews, the gist of it is that he wants whatever Bill wants.

Owners want to feel important, and be in the loop for major decisions. They don't necessarily want to veto any decisions. It's like a passenger pulling on the steering wheel. The passenger wants to know where they're going, but he doesn't want to grab the wheel unless he thinks the driver is about to crash. Owners like Kraft say "I trust Bill, I'm just going to stare out of the windows and enjoy the ride." While others like the late Al Davis said "This is my car, I'm driving."

8. Unhappyjetsfan

The 30 years of experience following the Jets makes it obvious that the ownership has no clue, but wants to act like they are the most knowledgeable football guy on the planet with his fingers on the pulse of everything (which is fine, people like Kraft and Jerry Jones and Snyder do the same things - most egotistical jerkoffs do), so in order to fake it, Woody will take whatever advice the league office is willing to give him. Woody is too stupid to realize that the league office is being run by a guy (Goodell) who was put there by Kraft (the Patriots) and Mara (the Giants) and Goodell isn't going to do an F'ing thing to improve the Jets' circumstances. So Goodell sends a career failure (Casserly) to go "fix" the Jets - woohoo!!!! And Woody takes the advice because he's too stupid (and egotistical) to fully understand what he doesn't know.

A smart business man (owner) who knows nothing about football, finds the two most successful franchises over the past 5 years, interviews the #2 guy (the one picking players, not the guy making sure the concession stands run smoothly) at both organizations, picks one ... and then lets him do whatever the hell he wants with his subordinates. And you don't hire any of the new GM's subordinates for him; only a clown would do that. Is it a guarantee for success? Of course not. But it's a hell of a lot smarter than begging the league for advice from a career failure.

#148 Unhappyjetsfan, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    rammagen likes this.
  9. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

You should create a separate thread with a link to that article. This is by far the best article I've seen so far about Idzik and what happened. Toxic media, dumb fans, and a spineless owner, bad combination and echoes of Dolan #2.

10. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Am I happy that Idzik has been fired?
    Yep, happy, happy, happy!

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I really don't think anyone expected him to rebuild the Jets in two years. But(speaking for myself) expected improvement and a representable team on the field. We got neither as our 4-12 record shows.

rammagen likes this.
  12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Except the talent of the 2014 Jets WERE better than the 2013 Jets.
    Almost every position on the field should have been better even QB (Rookie Geno/Simms) t0 (2nd year Geno/Vick).
    The only real position you can point to is CB.

You wanted a representable team on the field that was 100% on the coach.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

No.

14. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" And make no mistake about it, someone tampered with Marrone because there's no F'ing way he resigned without knowing he had another job lined up. [/QUOTE]

I don't think there needed to be any tampering. Marrone was looking at 1) New ownership 2) Starting QB suddenly retires 3) No first round draft pick this year 4) An opt-out clause in his contract and 5) 4 million dollars cash in hand if he opts-out. Who needs another job lined up when you can walk for $4 million? Seemed like a no-brainer given all of the circumstances.

15. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Why all the love for Idzik? He was a cap guy, who left money on the table, and major holes in the team. Good riddance.

rammagen likes this.
  16. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

the oline looked worse till oday stepped in......Colon took a step back. Geno the living turn over looked completely over macthed

Idzik dropped the ball 20 picks and 5 or 6 players. Whne you plan is to build through the draft those players better play they cut 4 players from this draft so they don't count, got two injured players, only two made any real impact and the jury is still on on Calvin.
    from the previous draft there is Bohanin (injured) Milner (injured) and Richardson. So 5 freaking players out of 20 is doing a good job. if your plan is not to build through the draft then he did a fing great job. but 5 players from the draft 2 from trades and 2 from free agency, is not enough to field a team., through in his bumbling press conference he should have never been hired to begin with

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Ok, I get it. You hate the guy.
    For small transactions you're right. But for big deals the owner has to be consulted. Believe me Kraft was totally aware of all bigger contracts esp Revis.

18. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Kraft is definitely aware of all the big moves, but I believe it's more of a situation where BB just tells him what he's doing, rather than asking for his opinions/input/advice/permission.

Whatever BB tells him, Kraft has no reason to question it and at worst he should say "If you think that's the right move, then I'm all for it" if it sounds stupid. And the other 95% of the time he should just say "That sounds great, Bill!" He has no reason to be more controlling than that, and if he is, he's making a mistake. But it's a unique situation.

19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

In reading all the opinions and theories and regrets about Idzik's and Rex's firing and how this franchise went to pieces the last 2 seasons
    with the GM, i can only come to one sure and simple conclusion as to why this regime came to a crashing and burning finale.

Whomever decided that they should go with Geno Smith as the the player to take the snaps the past 2 season, that should be the top of the list as to this mess they are presently in. As I mentioned many times in this forum, and yet there are still those here that still are scratching their heads, it's all about the person taking the snaps under center. I can't exactly say what percentage impact the QB has on a teams success/failure but if you look at many team with very good QB's in the NFL today, you would find that for the most part they are at or above .500 and are in the playoffs. To take a ridiculous gamble in throwing a rookie into the NFL frying pan, dam what else would one expect????

Sure, you can also blame the lack of talent and the inconsistency of the OL..... but not so much since the Jets did have one of the top rushing stats in the NFL. That's pretty impressive when u consider how often opponents stacked the line of scrimmage to dare Geno to throw.

It's also a given that the Jets made a poor decision in not retaining Sanchez to at least start for a period and to allow Smith to gain the experience game by game. This was a huge mistake.

If Andrew Luck were taking the snaps I seriously doubt we'd be talking about GM/coaching changes.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

When it comes to money Kraft is in charge. And Belichick understands The Patriot Way since he invented it. I've seen them in their War Room together. They are a well-oiled machine .