So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

We got the Revis info about not calling him straight from his agent and you know how honest they are. He didn't underbid on Davis: he got a last minute increased offer from Indy and that's where he wanted to play. Patterson was an oft injured but talented player who turned out to be an asshole. As for talent on the field he was an NFL caliber corner. Again I don't blame Idzik for Revis. Despite his denials and based on what I read at the time it was the owner who didn't want to deal with DR and his agent. Mac only signed and greatly overpaid Revis because of pressure on the owner who caved in.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

it came straight from Revis.
    there was no communication from the Jets to him, despite having reached out.
    The owner was not forbidding Idzik from communicating. that's garbage.....especially considering Revis is in fact back here now, and Woody directly confirmed he was open to signing him last year.

in terms of Davis, he was looking for more money, and only settled at 9M per year. Idzik couldn't beat that with all the resources we had?
    it's a total bargain of a contract.
    he almost ran back to Indy and signed after 'Idzik's interest'.. i'm sure it made the Colts offer look decent after all. they owe Idzik an assist on that signing and a big thank you.

Patterson was an utter disaster.

it was the deepest CB FA class ever.
    and yet despite our resources, the need, and the defensive philosophy, we came away with nothing.
    our season tanked in large part on our secondary, while the P*ts won a title with Revis and cheating.
    there is no coming back from that as a GM..

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't believe Revis or the Revis team on that. Woody said a lot between the lines: like he would have signed Revis too for NEP money. Now why did he say that if he never heard from Idzik about Revis' potential interest in coming back. The re-signing this year for $40 mil guaranteed was through the owner. He was tired of being called a buffoon in the press. And told Mac to sign him after telling Idzik not to sign him. We will never know the complete story on that but I definitely don't believe anything the Revis team says.

4. BacktoQueens

all your baseless speculation means nothing.
    bottom line, both Revis and Davis signed very reasonable contracts with other teams instead of us.
    Idzik could have gotten those deals done, but failed to.

the best ever CB FA market aligned perfectly with our needs and resources. yet it netted us only Patterson.
    the defense fell apart on the back of bad secondary play.
    Revis won a title with the cheating P*ts

it's criminal. there is no defending how this was managed last year.

VaBchJet and Big Blocker like this.
  5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Most smart organizations don't greatly overpay for Dbs even corners. Revis is special and Belichick knew it so they gave Revis a bargain deal at $12 mil the first year with an option for 20 the 2nd year: which averages 16 mil per season which is what Woody gave him. So the Patriots could have gotten him back but declined. You basically don't build a winning org like this. Ask Mark Dominik former GM of the Bucs the guy who traded for Revis. He was fired, too.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A great CB can make a real difference *if* you have a great QB and can afford to pay enough other people to leverage the QB well. The QB gets you out ahead and the CB cuts off the other team's best asset to quickly recover, their #1 WR.

What the Jets have had with Revis just makes no sense over time. Paying a franchise CB is a joke.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I love getting Revis back. He's probably my all time favorite Jets player. And speculation is the name of the game because we don't have all the facts. But I liked seeing Idzik try to rebuild the secondary through the draft. And he tried but wasn't able to sign elite corners so he signed Patterson who was capable of doing the job. 2014 was supposed to be a rebuilding year but everything didn't work out and the team was 4-12. Talent wise they were better than that.

8. BacktoQueens

you don't build a championship like that.....yet the P*ts did.
    ok

9. Br4d

Brady. If you already have the QB (Charles Woodson + Aaron Rodgers) then a great CB can put you over the top, assuming you have enough cap space to pay the supporting cast.

10. BacktoQueens

the Pats learned that Br*dy and cheating weren't enough alone.
    once Talib went down in the CG against Denver, they got blown out.
    the following year, they signed Revis and Browner.

almost all of this years playoffs teams had a high priced CB on their payroll.
    it's one of the most critical positions on the field.
    if you are weak at OT or CB, good teams will exploit you all game long.

11. Br4d

Right, but once Revis got into the franchise QB stratosphere in pay the Pats dropped him like a hot potato. That's where his contract was putting him in 2015 if they kept him. They didn't even offer him a semi-competitive bid to the one the Jets made for him because they couldn't afford $16M on the cap for a CB.

Truth be told neither could we but that's not going to become clear until the dust settles with our young guys. If we lose both Wilkerson and Harrison because we brought Revis back then we lost on the exchange big time.

12. BacktoQueens

the Pats were allegedly fighting tooth and nail trying to keep him. negotiating until the very last hour.
    lol they did not 'drop him like a hot potato'. in fact, they are still paying for him in dead money.
    because of that deferred money, they were looking at 20M to keep him, which is just too much.

13. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

plus the cheating let's not forget that....

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

It's called cutting him and resigning him. No one complained about Sanchez, because like the song said..."You Ain't seen nothing yet" Geno is a huge downgrade over #6.

rammagen likes this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I guess we will never know since we never brought him in for an interview in the first place.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

So you wanted the Jets to sign two expensive Wrs in one year? Name me a team that does something like that.

17. rammagen

your right that never happens but on the other hand they were so far under the cap they could have done that. A majority of reasons why that never happens is due to the cap. that was not an issue last yr

James Hasty likes this.
  18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The Idzik haters just wanted to spend all of the cap money in one off season. And go for marquee players who cost a lot. And he's the guy who was able give the team the extra cap space they had in '15. Mac came into a good financial situation because of Idzik.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sheesh. any GM can go into a season with a shitload of cap money.

as long as he has steaming hot $#it at QB.

20. rammagen

Sorry but I disagree. I admit you want to save your cap money but when you have all that cash you could afford to spend 10 million on a receiver to help a young qb...... what else did they spend the money on? There weren't allot of choices. But to me a smart gm would have tried to load up on receivers in free agency and in the draft try to address the OL for instance. So those 12 picks I would have spent on OL or traded picks to get the best OL you could.

It is clear Idzick had a but plan but it was completely flawed because he sucked trying to get it implemented. he wasted a yr got a coaching staff fired because his plan sucked or he hung out Rex to dry. Which is it?

What is worse he help field such a messed up team and he knew before hand and had resources to try to fix and did nothing. So he went into the season sitting n a allot of cap room two bad drafts and a bad team with cash to try to fix it and did nothing. he should have been fired day one last for wasting the fans time.

And for the record if you don't write any checks the next yr you would have a ton of cap room. It does not take a genius cap manager to figure that one out. if I don't sign anyone I have cap room next yr, Mac came into a great cap space but being honest he had to spend to fix whole left by the last gm.

2 yrs of drafting and how many people from his draft is going to be starting the first game this yr...that is how bad of gm he was because the answer is 1 it would be 2 if Sheldon was playing.
    free agents he did better on. Decker, Colon, Ivory(trade).

That is why he is fired