So far so good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mem_reddog, May 3, 2006.

1. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

I was waiting to see how the new regime would do b4 deciding on how I felt about them. And I must say that this was a great draft from my perspective. The Oline needed to be seriously addressed, we also needed a young qb that could be groomed into a starter on offense. Dline, cb, lb on defense and I think they did an outstanding job in the draft. I liked all of the picks and it was the direction I was hoping for. I think our future looks good and hopefully we will be competitive again in the near future. This draft definately gave me a bit more confidence in the new regime. :)

2. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Well written and well said and I agree with you 100%. I say let this new line jell for a year and learn and then continue to move forward and hopefully to a real playoff push and this time not just come close but finally -- FINALLY make it to the big dance.

3. rillo

rillo New Member

Great post

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Really do you have ESP or some other catotonic way of KNOWING How this years draft choice will turn out? I going to keep this one in case Fergy & Gold are both floppo's

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

because you have nothing better to do with your time?

6. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I think what he is getting at here....and is what most people think when reviewing the draft picks.... is that the new regime did not embarass themselves. Quality and character players were picked that fit a definite scheme or plan that is in place.

It would have been very disheartening had the Front Office did something along the lines of Buffalo. Taking the 3rd or 4th best player at their poistion in the Top 10 and then trading up to get a very average player in the later part of the first round.

Could you imagine the feelings that the fans, the press and the whole NFL in general would have about the NYJ future if we had taken Cutler at #4 and then lets say Esslinger at #29. The press would be calling for the FO's heads

7. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Cap't Asshole strikes again.

** 5 Day Suspension **

#7 New York Mick, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2006
  8. championjets69

Well then U answer the question

9. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

He used words like "hope" "my perspective" and "I think". He was giving an opinion and as always you have to be an asshole. When was the last time you wrote something about the Jets?

10. championjets69

Hopefully Tony will ban you for a few weeks for your choice of words

11. championjets69

Just asking a question that It appears wants or is afeaid to reply to. What is wrong with that?

12. JetsFanAce51

JetsFanAce51 New Member

Nobody ever knows....Bush AND Super Mario can be "floppos" as you say...

bottom line is our FO is actually smart enough to take guys that are almost given...2 best lineman in the NCAA last year on our line this year gives me goosebumps...clear the way for Curtis!!! He's going to have another 1300 yard season this year to top off his career...

13. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

That was a great comeback Einstein.

14. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

No you were being an asshole, like you always are.

15. M00CHNESS

M00CHNESS Member

How do you know anyone in the draft will be a star? People draft for their team off of team needs and talent available. Let's say you need a WR and a kicker like the Jets two seasons ago. You take both positions see which one you need more, compare them to the talent avail. and make your pick. It was Nugent.....this year the talent avail. was there was more "higher up" QB then there was OL so the jets made their picks and actually addressed both positions. Nobody knows how the draft will turn out but judging from how our roster looked to how our roster looks, 99% of people say it looks alot better. I guess you just tend to be the fly buzzing around till your swatted with reality.

16. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

A given? The last three OT's taken with the first four picks of the draft before Ferguson were Robert Gallery (2nd overall), Mike Williams (4th overall), already cut by the Bills, and Leonard Davis (2nd overall). Only one center was taken in the first round this decade, Chris Spencer by Seattle last year. He was deactivated nearly the entire season and played in only seven games with zero starts.

Clear the way for Curtis? Ferguson received a first round grade for his pass blocking, he's in development as a mauling run blocker and wasn't in college.
    Mangold is undersized and might be overwhelmed by DT's like Vince Worfork.

17. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I answer, he does not know, and neither do you. The thread starter was just stating his opinion that he is happy with the picks made because they were targeting areas which were weak on the team, and he is correct. The only way to judge a draft at this point is to evaluate the needs of the team, and the picks made, in this case our FO did a solid job.

The FO are the only people who know the type of football they wanna play in the future, and I have to believe each and every pick of this years draft are players that fit the mold to they are looking for to carry forth their vision. So just chill out and enjoy, should be a fun ride.

#17 JetsTillDeath, May 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  18. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

The only thing I found questionable about the post (and the draft) was the suggestion that the Jets addressed the defensive line. The addition of an underachieving tackle in the 7th round hardly makes me feel good that our porous run defense has been repaired, not to mention the glaring hole at passrush.

Perhaps the Jets post-draft Dline signings are what he was referring to. For the sake of all of us, let's hope there's something there. Other than that, I also felt like it was a good draft.

19. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

I just like the picks champ, they may or may not work out, but at least they are addressing our needs. So I like the direction. I like the fact that they didn't feel the need to make a big splash, but instead just address the needs with the best picks available to do that at the time. I believe that is exactly what was done.

I hang out a lot in the BS forum and am also at work, so it may take a little time for me to reply.

#19 mem_reddog, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  20. mem_reddog

mem_reddog New Member

What we need is a mammoth Dlineman to hold up the middle, and those are very hard to come by, but they added depth for the moment. A free-agent may become available, lets just hope so. Also if we are changing to 3-4 as everyone is presuming, then that may help.