Smith is eating away at me

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Jan 18, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I was doing some rating of the WR class and trying to decide between JaMarr Chase and Devonta Smith. Bottom line was it seems that both have great potential to be top NFL wideouts. And Smith is likely to be a larger impact player year 1.

But there has been something eating at me about Smith. I've only seen two full games of him and highlights but what I have seen reminds so much of Jerry Rice that it is hard to deny. He has a similar play style, similar frame, and similar attitude and work ethic. Also his skill set is very similar to Rice's. I lived in the bay area during the 80s and saw a lot of Rice in his prime. I've never seen a player that reminded me so much of him. Take into account that Smith is not a diva and works hard and to me it starts adding up to being the next Jerry Rice.

So I looked at the details of his college career. In 4 seasons the kid has played in three different offenses and his play never dropped off. He also has played with 3 different QBs and his play never drops off. When you look at clutch situations he thrives, he performs his best on the clutch. Basically he can thrive in any situation. Why? Because his route running is so sharp and his feet are so quick that he is a nightmare to cover - just like Rice. Of course he wont be RIce but a version of him with his own style.

I know its early in the offseason but something inside me keeps saying, "we gotta get this guy, he could be one of the all time greats". I'm not saying use the #2 on him because that is too hefty with all our needs. It is not like me to get excited about a WR - yet something in me is saying he is not just another good WR. If we could trade down and still get him in the top 10 then I think we'd have someone really special.

#1 ouchy, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    abyzmul, Br4d, Pepsiguy5 and 2 others like this.
  2. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

The only problem is that Miami are sitting at 3 and I can't see them passing up on him

3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

25lbs lighter is one huge difference.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The dolphins are going to either pick sewell, smith, or chase. Or try to trade Sewell to Cinn. Their fan base is very high on Chase. It is a possibility that Smith could fall to 6.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s funny I said that after the ND game. He just reminds me of Jerry Rice in almost every way. If we trade back from #2 with a team like Cinci or Atlanta that needs to be the pick.

ouchy likes this.
  6. Leicester Jet

As Jets fans we should all know that what a fan base wants and what a team does are two totally unconnected things!

ouchy likes this.
  7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Smith is a year and half older, 25 lbs lighter...
    At age 19, Chase was better than Smith was at 19...

Also the way WR goes these days, any one of them in the top 3-5 could end up the best. Everyone talked about Jeudy, Lamb and Ruggs last year... Jefferson had the best rookie season.

I’m not a huge fan of taking a WR with pick #2. If there was a physical freak like a Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Or DK Metcalf (with better college production), then yeah #2 is fine... but college is playing this spread crap... can’t trust #’s.

I’d much rather get Sewell, Parsons or Pitts as the difference between them and the #2 guy in their positions is huge.

8. Leicester Jet

ouchy likes this.
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I agree on your general premise, but no way I want a TE at #2..... and yes I'm a Pitts fan and would like him if drafted further down the line

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Agree, I’m not promoting taking Pitts at #2 so much as saying he is freak...

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree, but in all likelihood, the Jets may have no choice but to select someone at the #2 position. If so, I would take Smith with no reservations. He reminds me of OBJ without the personal baggage. He has great hands, can take the top off a defense with his great speed and he can split a defense on a short ball and take it to the house. The Jets desperately need a home run hitter and a guy like Smith will cause defenses to have to assign tight coverage on every play. That will make it easier for other receivers to get open.

ouchy likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree. He is also a guy that when you need a clutch play on 3rd down he will come through.

Leicester Jet and westiedog1 like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its easy to assume Chase was better then Smith early on because Chase was a feature wideout and Smith wasn't.

As a freshmen Smith was behind 2 seniors, plus Calvin Ridley, and Jerry Jeudy. The wanted him to red shirt that season and bulk up because they were concerned about his weight. He refused and played the 5th WR. He only had 9 targets that season and recorded 8 catches for 160 yards and 3 TDs. One of those TDs was a 41 yarder in overtime that won the National Championship. Everything this kid does reeks champion.

westiedog1 and Br4d like this.