Slauson or Ducasse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by the99, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Who?

1. Vlad Ducasse

94 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Matt Slauson

85 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. I like beer

63 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Depending on the cleats he's wearing-

2. franzman9

franzman9 Member

I would like to see Slauson come in and dominate at LG, let Vlad develope to replace woody at RT in 2011. Our offensive line would be set for the next decade!

3. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Just saying. If people are gonna argue whether he should gain 8.4 lbs before he can run up the middle, then the height should be accurate. He measured in at 5'11'' n 3/8

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Here's why I think that Slauson currently has the edge for guard at this time. I don't believe the Jets would have cut Faneca, or even been shopping him before the draft, if they didn't believe they had a competent replacement for him in the wings. In short just the fact the Jets were actively shopping AF before the draft indicates to me they were willing to go with Slauson at LG and were comfortable with that choice. The drafting of Vlad provided the safety net of being able to outright release AF, and Vlad may win the the competition, but going by the indicators which occurred prior to the draft I'd have to say Slauson has the upper hand currently. Of course Vlad my totally outperform Slauson during TC and win the job, but IMHO at this point it's Slauson's to lose.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i like beer is doing much better than i would have assumed.

there is absolutely no way to tell at this point who should be there, i am very scared of this position at this point. unproven and completely unproven are not great options.

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He probably has killed a man or two in his day.

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think Callahan has a lot of say with this coaching staff.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd rather see the guy who played better in the pre-season and offseason...

9. ........

........ Trolls

It seemed like the proper choice to me, although I can see why people chose otherwise given the "want" part of the question. I'm sure some people want to see Slauson at guard so we can develop Ducasse at RT, and I'm sure others want to see Ducasse take the job right away this season since he was a 2nd round pick. I doubt anyone thinks the position is a given at this point, though.

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

EXACTLY...

I posted almost the same exact thing elsewhere...

You don't let go of Faneca without being damn sure you have a replacement in house pre-draft.... Add Ducasse and - BYE BYE Faneca...

Wanna take it a step further? Who else was on that list of potential Cuts? Bryan Thomas -Lets say, Kyle Wilson is gone and the next guy on the Jets value board was Jerry Hughes

We could very well be sitting here today with Faneca a Jet and Bryan Thomas the guy on the street....

That's the beauty of how the Jets set themselves up Pre- Draft. Hey, they need to save somewhere with all the contracts coming up - so, you need to fill in with the draft and then pick where to cut.....

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) Saw the highlights after the draft like this one

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fliv9DNBfIg&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty clear to me he's more productive when NOT running between the tackles.

2) 210 is still 16 more than the 194 at which McKnight is listed on nyjets.com
    Am I saying it will be impossible for him to get to around 210? NO. But it would take AT LEAST 2 full off-seasons.

3&4) Maybe it's here we are seeing it differently. LdT will be used a lot more ala TJ than you think (imo of course). I'm not saying he'll be our only workhorse (like TJ was) but let's say out of all the run TJ had between the tackles I expect SG and Ldt to share 50/50.
    If you think Ldt is here to primarily catch passes out of the back-field I think you are wrong (we'll just have to wait and see on this one). Many many times when we called a run play last year it was straight through the middle and I just can't see Greene getting ALL those runs. If he does he'll break down.

5) I think you are over-rating McKnight... he won't have that big of a role in 2010 and he'll have to prove he's worth a bigger one come 2011.

6) This team will always have 3 RBs. I think 2 of them will be big physical, tough guys (like TJ and Greene) and one faster and more athletic (Washington). I think McKnight is better suited to be the latter and not the former... So I don't see him taking Ldt's role which I think will be more similar to TJ's than you think.

2009: TJ (workhorse), Greene (thumper), Washington (speed&passing guy)

2010: Greene (thumper + 50% workhorse), Ldt (50% workhorse + 25% speed&passing guy), McKnight (75%speed&passing guys + some ST).

2011(imo):Greene (75% thumper, 50% workhorse), rookie (25% thumper, 50% workhorse), McKnight (100% speed&passing guy).

that to me is what our backfield should and will look like going into the future.

7) You are trying to argue that running through the middle in college and in the NFL is the same!? If a guy hardly ran through the middle in college than excuse me if I think he'll have a harder time doing it in the NFL were it's more difficult. To me it's seems pretty logical!

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets' 'between the tackles' running is far different than what you are looking at on that video. Maybe re-watch some of the games from this year and you will see that their zone shifts in the running game end up being outside the hashmarks on a lot of plays. Half the runs you see in those replays would end up being between the tackles behind the Jets' offensive line.

It's a different game when you throw as much zone blocking into it as Schotty and Callahan did last season. The zone dictates where the holes are, and the defense ends up reacting more than attacking, so the runner can choose stronger matchups, even if he's running at a MLB or a DT.

#72 abyzmul, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Last year the Jets ran between the tackles A LOT (I mean out of the total times we ran the ball). And that's even when Washington was healthy.
    Out of the running plays called we went straight through the middle 80% of the times.

To me Greene can't handle all those runs through the middle... he needs another back to share them with... but not a RB that SOMETIMES runs through the middle... a RB that CONSISTENTLY runs through the middle!

If we make Greene run 75% of the plays we run through the middle and give McKnight 25% I think Greene will break down soon.

We are better off sharing those duties 55/35 between Greene and another big rookie back (in 2011, in 2010 it will be between Green and LdT) and leave KcKnight anout 10% of the plays through the middle.
    That to me is the best option.

I would understand the whole "beef up McKnight" if we had a 2RB system... but we run a 3RB power system being that we are so run oriented.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I define "run between the tackle" what TJ did last year... just to be clear.

15. abyzmul

Dude. Watch the games. Seriously. TJ ran 'between the tackles' a lot of times when, if it had been a man blocking scheme, it would have been an outside run. The entire line shifted to one side or another, pulled in confusing patterns, and made inside runs out of outside runs. My dead grandmother could have gained yardage with the holes that was creating. Certainly this guy will be able to capitalize on them.

16. abyzmul

Holy shit with this up the middle stuff. Do you even understand a zone blocking scheme?

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Evidently I do not... -.-" care to explain?

PS actually I'm sure many users would be happy if you made a zone blocking vs man blocking thread explaining the differences.

PPS I'm NOT sarcastic.

#77 Mambo9, Apr 29, 2010
  18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Went with Slauson because if he starts then it's great to show that he has greatly improved under Callahan in his first year. That'll give Vlad more time to develop, and it would just be great sign the our line is solidified for years to come once we get one more young tackle.

I like "cold" beer.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Your opinion is pretty clear...because of highlights?

I'm going to take all of the "AT LEAST"s with a grain of salt since your absolutes were already disproven on the last one. BTW, how long do you think LDT signed for? That's right, 2 seasons.

Ugh. I did not say that he was primarily here to catch passes out of the backfield. I said his primary role was as the #2, pass-catching RB in our RBBC. I would hope it's obvious that doesn't simply entail receptions out of the backfield.

As far as the latter, please see Abyzmul's comments. He's already replied, so I won't waste your time with redundancy.

I never said he'd have a big role this season. In fact, the original argument was that he would take over for LDT when he's done in 2 seasons. What do 2010 and 2011 have to do with that?

I love you're qualified to say I'm overrating him based on your opinion formed solely from...wait for it...highlight reels.

If we use LDT like we used TJ, it'll be a complete and total waste of his talents. If you mean that on running plays, he's more of a one cut guy now, then yes. If you think that receptions will only account for 3% of his touches, like TJ, then you're in for a big surprise.

And since when are Greene and TJ the same type of back?

Yes, we will likely have another power back in 2011 or 2012 (depending on whether LDT stays for one or 2 seasons). I think you're entirely underrating McKnight's ability, though, and that's a shame. I wish you could have seen him play in college, but sadly you seem committed to your YouTube derived beliefs. I tend to listen to the opinions of people who actually watch these guys and use footage only to round out that opinion. That's ok, though.

Where did I ever argue that it's the same between college and the NFL? I said he has the ability, but I agreed that he could use some added bulk at this level. You keep throwing it back to me thinking it's an identical situation.

Again, the fact that USC ran the stretch play frequently and tried to get him out in space doesn't change the fact that he was a very effective runner up the gut. In fact, a lot of people felt that aspect of his game was wasted at times when Carroll committed to the rotation. Again, that's at times. I'd hate to have you misunderstand me due to your love for absolutes.

20. abyzmul

It's a scheme where offensive linemen have fluctuating rules of engagement in a set zone, depending on the defenders in their zone. The runner can pick his own blocking lanes based on matchups, causing a shift of the field of play. It also kills DL stunts, which are designed to take advantage of man-on-man matchups.

Thomas Jones ran some straight line runs in 2009 that would have been between the tackles if the Jets' O-line hadn't shifted in unison to the right or left and brought their engagements with them - instead, a lot of those runs ended up being outside the tackles, even though he hadn't made a move to one side or another. A runner with better moves and vision than TJ, and there are a number of them, can take much better advantage of those schemes than even TJ took in his one of his best career years in 2009.

I watched a play in the early development of the Jets' zone scheme last season where the Jets had the ball on the left hashmark, and TJ was deep in the backfield. The ball was snapped, Sanchez gave a wide right handoff to TJ that might as well have been a toss right, and the Jets' line shifted so far to the right that TJ ended up running off the left shoulder of Brick Ferguson. It totally threw the defense's scheme out of whack and I think TJ ended up being tackled by a safety for a gain of like 15 yards.

That concept of 'up the middle' is more suited for man blocking schemes where the linemen have specific player assignments, with the center and a guard handling the NT, a guard handling a DT, and the tackles taking on the pass rushers, possibly with help from the TE. That's the reason why the shiftier runners in a man blocking scheme usually stay outside the tackles.

In zone, you could have your center blocking the pass rusher, guard handling the OLB, and your RT lead blocking and taking out safeties, and your left side linemen holding a backside protect.

That whole 'up the middle' concept means little with a zone scheme. I'll do up some diagrams if I have a chance a little later.

#80 abyzmul, Apr 29, 2010