Signs The Clock Started Ticking for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 9, 2020.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He interviewed Gase

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure its well-documented that a big part of Johnson's decision was based on Sam telling him Gase was the guy.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It may be, but that doesn't make it smart or right.

4. BroadwayAaron

I don't disagree but Im saying what you're roasting the Browns for, we did too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

What the hell did Sam Darnold know? He was 20/21 years old, had only played one season in the NFL. He still had a lot of work to do to improve and prove that he was a FQB. I can see letting him talk to candidates and getting his input, maybe, but the final decision should be that of the GM or owner, not the player.

6. NCJetsfan

We shouldn't have done it. I'm so tired of leaders who are clueless and who don't lead.

K'OB likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Input is a pretty strong word, positive input could sway one's decision.

I mean cmon, Mac and Chris Johnson? How did you think it would go?

8. BroadwayAaron

I mean I could definitely see how a 22 year old kid, a bad GM and a owner that primarily runs businesses could be fooled by a guy like Gase who says all of the right things. Problem is he doesn't deliver on them. But again Sam was 22. He should absolutely have input but I think he had more input than he should have had because of how bad the rest of the front office was at the time.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

That's my point. None of them (including Woody) have any business owning or running an NFL team. It's a joke. I would understand it if it was an Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning-level QB in the prime of their career, but a young QB who doesn't even know the ropes in the NFL yet? That's letting the inmates run the asylum.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

IIRC, Peyton Manning's glowing recommendation was a big factor in Gase getting hired.

11. BroadwayAaron

And rightfully so. Problem is Peyton doesn't realize when you're calling audibles every down at the line of scrimmage, you're doing more for the offense than your OC. How do you ignore Peyton Manning's recommendation though?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

I bet Sam's input was pretty highly regarded, but hey that's on the FO. I wouldn't put Sam in that position.

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We're spoiled into believing that QBs are fully developed in one or two years and jump the gun when we discuss them.

And Jackson isnt a real QB.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There's a difference between "Fully" developed and real good NFL QB. Payton pro bowl year 2, Marino pro bowl year 2, Mahomes MVP year 2, Jackson MVP year 2, Wilson pro bowl year 1 and 2, Cam Newton pro bowl year 1, Carson Palmer Pro Bowl year 2, Carson Wentz pro bowl year 2. Prescott pro bowl year 2, Tom Brady pro bowl year 2, Watson pro bowl year 2. Kyler Murray had a better rookie year than Sam's entire draft class. I could go on...

No question there have been lots of 1st round busts. There have also been a lot of elite QB's who were really good in year 2.

There is something between fully developed and good enough to be an excellent NFL QB. Sam has come into a shit show. It's time to elevate his game and the team. I'm not concerned at all but don't believe for a minute that elite NFL QB's aren't real good in year 2.

15. LF911SC

Marino for years was the exception to the rule. Manning too.

You can go one with Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, Cam, etc. Guess what, all played on playoff or SB caliber teams.
    Sam hasn't.
    I'd put Sam on KC, Mahomes on the 2018 or 19 Jets and bet that Sam looks more like Mahomes than the other way around. In fact I'd do that with every QB on that list

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Cam played on a 2 win team as a rookie. Kyle Murray played on the worst team in football last year. He was miles better than Sam.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. LF911SC

Did you watch Murray? Because trying to make the case that hes way ahead of what Sam was in year one says not really.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I live in AZ and get 16 games. So yes I did. And yes he was much better than Sam in year 1. He was better than Sam last year. I think Sam has more potential but Murray was better no doubt about it.

19. BroadwayAaron

KyleR Murray played on the Cardinals who were not the worst team in football last year. He also wasn’t miles better than Sam. He’s a flashy QB that plays in an extremely flashy offensive system. His numbers were always going to look good. I will admit he looked better than I thought he would though and that’s probably because Kingsbury’s offense translates way better than I thought it would.

SOJAZ likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Cardinals had the first pick in the draft for a reason. They sucked and they had the worst offensive team in football in 2018. 32 in both passing and rushing and net yards per pass and rushing attempt.

I'm not a fan of Murray or Kingsbury. He was miles better than Sam as a rookie. He wasn't flashy he was more productive.