Signs The Clock Started Ticking for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 9, 2020.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We'll agree to disagree then.
    Putting up useless numbers in a gimmick offense doesnt translate into better to me.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They went from scoring 225 points in 2018 to 361 points in 2019. The point differential between what they gave up and what they scored from 2018 to 2019 dropped by 119 points. That's more than a touchdown a game. I'll take a gimmick like that all day long.

You can disagree and be wrong. That doesn't mean Sam won't ultimately be better. To date he has been worse.

3. LF911SC

You can dig up all the numbers you want, I'm going by what I saw and how I judge QB talent. Its not all numbers

When people start telling me their opinions are right and mine are wrong if I disagree, its time to check out.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Talent isn't the same thing as production.

5. LF911SC

Just as production doesnt equate to better

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

As I said, I think Sam will be better. Calling something flashy and gimmicky when the production is miles better ignores the evolution of the game. The I formation was flashy. 3 and 4 wides were flashy, play action was flashy until it was productive and then it wasn't flashy it was copied.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He didn’t play for the Cardinals in 2018. He played for a completely new coaching staff for the Cardinals in 2019. He was absolutely productive but the numbers are a product of the system mostly. I still think he’s going to be good especially the more Kingsbury grows as a coach and they build out their roster. Especially considering they added IMO the best receiver in football. The Cardinals are the example of what every team needs to do to develop their young QB. Unfortunately we’re a shining example of what not to do.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In fairness to Sam the argument I would make about Murray is he didn't have to learn a new system. Kingsbury actually put the Oklahoma O and installed the language from day 1. Getting Hopkins and giving up Johnsons was a terrific move, agreed. Kingsbury also added a lot to the system as the year moved on. Murray adjusted to the speed of the game after the first half of the season and they O opened up a lot for him.

Sam has a huge advantage over Murray. He can see down the field by simply keeping his head and eyes down the field. I was pretty surprised on how good Murray was. He has a solid NFL arm, he's deadly accurate and he has an amazingly quick release and set up. He can't see down the field without moving away from traffic and he can't make some throws because of the angles he faces. He's a midget. He's not Russell Wilson, he goes down on arm contact and Wilson is strong as a bull. He was amazingly productive in spite of a rookie HC.

They made a high risk move. They dumped out of a 1st round QB in year 2 and drafted a midget with the first pick. They backed it up with a rookie NFL coach with a limited and crappy college resume. It worked.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

10. championjets69

Sorry Biggs I think U R one of the most knowledgeable on this site but I have to disagree with you that Sam sees the whole field & can flip from receiver to receiver until he finds the open guy.. The replays do not support that in fact it showed that he has open receivers that he never targets. I credit that fact to that he has not blessed with quick thinking skills :mad:

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

More like he only has 2 seconds to look for an open receiver before being thrown to the floor but yeah let's not go down that route.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

You watched replays and you missed the overwhelming, glaring, undeniable fact that our OL gave him about 2 seconds to go through his progressions?

SOJAZ and K'OB like this.
  13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Would be classic Jets if Darnold goes elsewhere after rookie contract and takes off. Almost likely, actually.

14. championjets69

Well if our OL is nso weak then it was up to Gase to draw up plays that would get the ball out of Sams hands quicker but that does not in any way change the fact that Sam does not appear to be a quicker thinker :mad:

15. championjets69

Well if our OL is nso weak then it was up to Gase to draw up plays that would get the ball out of Sams hands quicker but that does not in any way change the fact that Sam does not appear to be a quicker thinker :mad:

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It has been a rough couple months in the world, almost overwhelming, but the thought of this might send me over the edge! :D

Jake and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Different issue. Sam has the size to see down the field with his head up. Murray doesn't. Sam may or may not have the kind of athletic mind that can process the entire field and pick the right route. To date he has had two systems in 2 years, terrible OL play and a revolving door of WR most of whom aren't particularly high caliber.

I think you're making an assumption at this point. It's fair to say he has struggled. It's also fair to say he hasn't had coaching stability, OL stability or WR stability. To be determined.

18. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see Sam play behind an Oline like the Cowboys have--I think he's better than Dak.

I think Dak is who he is because of the surrounding cast he has. If they got a guy like Brady, maybe even Rivers, for a 1 year rental it would be the ultimate litmus test.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

On the basis that you have just reasoned away by explaining it is really on Gase and the OL, a guy that can think on the run surely is proving you wrong about not being a quick thinker, surely Sam whilst on the run and making plays ad-hoc is doing quite a lot of that there quick thinking?

#199 K'OB, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Nevermind the Cowboys. Even if you put him behind Buffalo’s average line with guys like Brown, Beasley and Singletary i’m willing to bet the Bills get past the first round.