Signing Maybin Long Term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You'd have to think with him really seeming to want to shed that bust label giving him a contract next season would give him even more motivation because he'd want to prove it wasn't a fluke. There is a major difference between he and Gholston, Gholston was ok sucking, he had no pride, no heart. Maybin is the opposite, he has taken it personal that people called him a bust and was cut by the Bills. He has used that as motivation, most guys who are busts and are ok with it drift away. Maybin has come back with a vengeance.

3. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Murell mentioned it yesterday as a potential possibility that Maybin could have 10 sacks. (thats 1 per game from here on out).

If he does that, I demand that he be in the conversation for comeback player of the year. He has been damned impressive, and is only getting better by the snap he takes. I'm excited he has a chance to become something special long-term. But everyone needs to relax a bit, because its just as likely he could be a flash in the pan. Giving him tons of money could be a bad idea straight away. Incentive laden deal would be the best thing possible for us.

5. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

Sign this beast!

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We are obviously hyped about the kids sack total but he seems to put pressure on the QB on almost every play he's in.
    Opposing offenses are gonna start double teaming this kid which in turn will create opportunities for others to shine.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I really hope we sign Maybin. He loves being a Jet and he has been huge for us. The first legitimate pass rusher we've had in a while.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

master p says hi
    and yet you still said it

9. zombo

zombo Member

I'd like to see Maybin brought back next season. If he produces again, then a moderate extension would be good.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He won't be, he doesn't play enough to be in that conversation. Plus to be a comeback player that means you had to once be good and then go bad...that isn't reality either.

11. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

This is from todays Newark Star Ledger. It's a fluff piece but what I found interesting is how he say's "how refreshing it was to be used the right way and to be the player he always thought he could." Enjoy!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/12/jets_aaron_maybin_relishes_ver.html

Jets' Aaron Maybin relishes versatile role and shedding the 'bust' label

Published: Monday, December 05, 2011, 4:02 PM Updated: Monday, December 05, 2011, 6:54 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Aaron Maybin was in the Jets' facility for a brief workout this morning and just happened to stop by coach Rex Ryan's office.

The former first-round pick, deemed a bust in Buffalo after two dismal seasons and no sacks, told Ryan how refreshing it was to be used the right way and to be the player he always thought he could.

"As much as I've struggled and as hard as things have been however long things have been bad, I'm as happy now as I have been since I started playing this game," Maybin told Ryan.

As the team's leader in sacks (6) and forced fumbles (4), including a fourth-quarter sack and strip of Rex Grossman that closed the door on Sunday's 34-19 win, it looks like things are only getting better.

In film sessions last week, it became apparent that teams were starting to game plan against him. Because he's learned more of the defense, Ryan felt comfortable allowing Maybin to attack from different positions.

"Just this week we really started to notice that teams are starting to key up on where I was going to be. It was pretty evident by where I was lining up and things of that nature," Maybin said. "So when we noticed that, they said they were going to be moving me around a little bit and expanded my role so with me being able to grasp a little bit more of the defense, that gave them the opportunity to play me a little bit more.

"It was a plan that we used this week, we went in and I attacked from several different positions. I think it was a good look for us because it did confuse them from a blocker's perspective."

Maybin said he'd been trying to become a more versatile pass-rusher since coming to the Jets in the preseason.

As for Buffalo, a team that he registered a pair of sacks against two weeks ago, Maybin said they knew exactly what they were giving up when they released him.

"I want my play to speak for itself," Maybin said. "When (Buffalo) made the decision to go the way they did, they did so with the knowledge of what I could do. I'd been on the team for however long and they had the perfect opportunity to see what it was they were letting go.

"So they obviously made the decision from an organizational standpoint and what they felt like was best and we had to go our separate ways."

12. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

He fits the Jets system...and I think he himself realizes that. So I expect a middle of the road contract

13. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I dont understand how he came out of the draft at around 240 and how he could never keep the weight on. Is he any good against the pass?

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The only heartburn I have with this is, we're going thru that with Wayne "Highway" Hunter right now and I don't want to see another Jet suddenly get complacent and their level of play drop off. Alot would depend on his contract being "result oriented" in that he'd have to continue to improve his level of play.

Decent money upfront loaded with incentives is the way to go here.

15. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Im still afraid hes getting pushed out of too many plays because of size, but his motor is much needed speed on D.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to see Rex experiment with Maybin at Free Safety, maybe even Strong Safety if he can add a few pounds.

Either way, Maybin would be the fastest Safety in the league and his sack total would skyrocket as a blitzing safety. Plus he already plays outside Line Backer so he ain't afraid of no contact.

He just strikes me as the perfect Safety. If he can catch the ball he could be a Sherry Rhodes on steroids.

17. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Despite what Eric Smith has taught us, you do realize safeties have to have SOME coverage skills correct?

18. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

:drunk:

BINGO!!!!!!

19. He's a solid 3rd down edge rusher. He's never gonna be a full time starter cause he's undersized and isn't dominant enough of a rusher to justify the liability he becomes in running situations.

I think long term he's a good secondary edge rusher. Edge rushers tend to be very streaky, and it's always good to have more than one capable of making a play.

20. timdastis

timdastis New Member

no way he continues the productivity - but anything is better than what we had before him - i wonder how his spot would have been if thomas didnt go out