Signing Maybin Long Term?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I don't think we have any choice but to sign him, unless we can pick up a good pass rusher in the offseason (something we have failed to do for the last decade).

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

No one said they were "easy" just that most were coverage sacks and there's nothing wrong with it. The front and the back end work harmoniously. To answer your direct question though, everyone else are below average pass rushers with the exception of maybe Westerman. Anyone with any remote pass rushing skills should be able to improve their sack totals playing in front of our secondary and with Rex's elaborate blitz schemes.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

As of now Maybin is just a DPR... so I'm guessing we could keep him around next year for around 1 or 2 mill... and then let's see how he performs before giving him a fat pay-check.

I think he likes being here and already got a shit-load of money from the Bills... plus isn't he a restricted free agent?

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think something along the lines of the Jason Taylor contract could be about right?

5. legler82

Anyone know what the Patriots signed Mark Anderson for? If you were a frequenter of the draft forum back in the 06 draft, you'll know I several posts about picking him up from the 3rd round on. Like Maybin he's a cheap one trick pass rushing pony.

6. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

7. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I agree with all of this. I think he deserves a multi-year contract, but I wouldnt break the bank or give him much guranteed money. Hopefully Maybin doesn't turn into an Edwards and burn his bridges here only to find out Tanny was giving him a fair offer.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would really love if the organization signed him.

At times its frustrating when he runs himself out of the play, but he has shown a HUGE improvement.

Fans can no longer say he has one move as a passrusher which is to just run around the tackle. Yesterdays sack was pretty amazing as to how he cut inside. Ive seen him "try" a spin move a few times, and although it hasnt gotten him a sack, he's shown that he's opening the variety of his moves.

So now he has an actual inside move or two, and has the speed to beat anyone to the outside...

I truly am curious as to how much an offseason with the Jets could do. If he actually bulks up to 245/250 and can sustain it, it could be a great pickup and signing.

If he eventually gained the strength to be a capable run defender and develop a decent bullrush, he could be scary good. I know this is all "if"s but I think it could happen

9. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

man im sorry but the "coverage sack" excuse can only work for so long. Compare his first sack against flacco to the sack on grossman yesterday. There was no coverage involved in that sack, he got off the line made a nice move and crushed the QB, oh and he also strip sacked him, which he tends to do on almost EVERY SACK. no one is saying maybin is a god send but c'mon bro you have to give him some credit. hell i even saw him try to use a spin move yesterday!

10. legler82

I'm starting to see him get chipped and double teamed. Do we have any one else that can take advantage of the extra attention he is beginning to get from opposing offenses?

11. JetsBigD

JetsBigD Member

i said incentive laden, not incentive only. I would pay him a fair base salary (some one else suggested JT-esqe, which would be fair), but i think the incentives are important to make sure he stays motivated.

that being said, i'm pulling hard to keep him, but I just don't feel comfortable locking up serious money with him (yet). he's fit very nicely in this scheme

12. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Jets' Aaron Maybin relishes versatile role and shedding the 'bust' label

Aaron Maybin was in the Jets facility for a brief workout this morning and just happened to stop by coach Rex Ryan's office.

The former first-round pick, deemed a bust in Buffalo after two dismal seasons and no sacks, told Ryan how refreshing it was to be used the right way and to be the player he always thought he could.

"As much as I've struggled and as hard as things have been however long things have been bad, I'm as happy now as I have been since I started playing this game," Maybin told Ryan.

As the team's leader in sacks (6) and forced fumbles (4), including a fourth-quarter sack and strip of Rex Grossman that closed the door on yesterday's 34-19 win, it looks like things are only getting better.

In film sessions last week, it became apparent that teams were starting to gameplan against him. Because he's learned more of the defense, Ryan felt comfortable allowing Maybin to attack from different positions.

"Just this week we really started to notice that teams are starting to key up on where I was going to be. It was pretty evident by where I was lining up and things of that nature," Maybin said. "So when we noticed that, they said they were going to be moving me around a little bit and expanded my role so with me being able to grasp a little bit more of the defense, that gave them the opportunity to play me a little bit more.

"It was a plan that we used this week, we went in and I attacked from several different positions. I think it was a good look for us because it did confuse them from a blocker's perspective."

Maybin said he'd been trying to become a more versatile pass-rusher since coming to the Jets in the preseason.

As for Buffalo, a team that he registered a pair of sacks against two weeks ago, Maybin said they knew exactly what they were giving up when they released him.

"I want my play to speak for itself," Maybin said. "When (Buffalo) made the decision to go the way they did, they did so with the knowledge of what I could do. I'd been on the team for however long and they had the perfect opportunity to see what it was they were letting go.

"So they obviously made the decision from an organizational standpoint and what they felt like was best and we had to go our separate ways."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/12/jets_aaron_maybin_relishes_ver.html

13. legler82

Occasionally he's gotten home off of his primary move like yesterday but "most" of his sacks have been the coverage variety. It's not a knock; it's just a fact. I don't know where you got that I was not giving him any credit. He is a good pass rusher and our best pass rusher by far, saying a lot about him and everyone else. That said I still would want the FO to be judicious about signing him long term.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's baffling to me that some people think we shouldn't sign our team leader in sacks and forced fumbles. Absolutely baffling. He's the best pass rusher (that actually gets the sack) that we've had since we first signed Pace. Yet we're just gonna toss him back into the pond? Classic.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

If he's not signed it would be a huge mistake. There's no way that after a season like this that a team wouldn't take a shot at him. He's not going to be sitting on the couch for the first four weeks again.

Put Maybin with another good pass rusher and this defense is scary (once we find a good safety anyway).

16. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I definitely agree with you about avoiding any type of long term commitment especially prematurely. But I just think the kid has been making progress and I hope he continues to work his ass off and reach his potential. Even if he doesnt turn into the monster everydown OLB everyone is begging santa for XMAS, I still enjoy watching him make a difference and "Play like a Jet" when he gets his chances.

EDIT: If he gets to the QB within the first 4 seconds is it still a coverage sack?? Were all of shaun ellis's sacks on brady in the playoffs last year coverage sacks?? just trying to guage your definition on a "coverage sack"

#36 gizmo253, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  17. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Who thinks that then?

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You say this yet maybin is the only player getting consistent pressure on the qb.

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Where exactly did anyone say they don't want to sign Maybin. All I've seen is people saying that just because we resign him does not mean we should not keep looking for another pass rusher.

20. BookEndTackles 72&79

What's really encouraging about Maybin is that he is becoming more versatile. He isn't just coming around the edge anymore. He actually did get some push on blockers and started moving them towards the QB. At a minimum that at least prevents the QB from stepping into his throws or clogs up a throwing lane. I didn't see the spin moves but I'll take people's word for it.