Sidney Jones, CB Washington injured

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TouchyFeely, Mar 11, 2017.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Sidney Jones tore his Achilles at his pro day. Thought to be a top 2-3 CB, he won't be able to play until 2018 and may not be full form until 2019.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Was reading that earlier and wondering how far he would drop, was thought he would be picked somewhere late in the 1st, would he be worth a 4th round pick now? Or earlier?

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wouldn't go near him at this point, those injuries take over 8 months to get back from, can't spend a pick on someone who might not be back. He can try out for a team when he is healthy, but that's not till a year from now.

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and ajax like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You are probably right, my thinking was just about getting a probable 1st round pick for a 4th. Stick him on the shelf for a year and ready to go in 2018 when chances are the team will be more competitive than 2017. Too many current needs to waste the pick on someone who won 't play this year though.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Hell be a Day 2 pick but id easily pick him with our in the 2nd or 3rd and stash him, he's my favorite CB in the draft and this could be an extremely good value pick for a team who isn't going to win next year anyway.

6. Red Menace

Another 2nd round pick that won't see the field? Cmon man, you can't build a team to fail, if Mac uses another 2nd round pick on a player that won't see the field for a year he should be fired.

Use this years draft to select players that will see the field this year and worry about next year.....next year.

#6 Red Menace, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We don't have the luxury of taking a player that can't be an immediate contributor.

8. General Eclectic

General Eclectic New Member

I really hope he took out insurance for a draft day fall because he may very likely be a Day 3 pick (similar to Aaron Colvin's situation when he tore his ACL before the draft).

This isn't to say that he can't have a miracle recovery like Sizzle did a few years back, but the odds are most certainly not in his favor.

Now, I'm undoubtedly not an expert on the subject, but, barring any material change in circumstances, if I'm Mac, or any GM for that matter, I wouldn't consider drafting him till at least the 5th round. In my opinion, there is way too much risk involved to consider anything earlier... Especially with the number of needs this team has.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

We do have the luxury of taking players with elite talent that have the misfortune of being injured this year since we are building for the future. If we can snag him with one of our 3rds we run to the stage and do not look back.

FJF and Nesquik like this.
  10. Nesquik

To me Sidney Jones is the best CB in the draft, that is gonna go down as having the best overall CB talent available. I want GREAT players on the team period and Jones could be THE VERY best out of the bunch. I dont care how long it takes, i just want to know it'll eventually get done.Id rather that than rush the process, weve never had patience weve always managed to embrace a full rebuild for years now. This team isn't going anywhere and to me this offseason main priority is to rebuild and its about time.

As much as i loved the Revis signing it looks to have been the wrong move that with along with some short term fixes didnt fix anything. That to me signifies that Woody is going to give Mac and Bowles time, all the veterans are gone and we need to bring in great players, not average not bad players like we usually do. Yeah its a gamble but how safe and sorry is the organization going to remain. This isn't some Dee Milliner situation where the guys been repeatedly hurt year after after at Alabama. Jones is a 3 year starter at Washington, no redshirt so he's young as a true junior and has never been hurt at Washington. Give him a year to build up his body and he'll come back as a value pick year. Take advantage of the opportunity to get a great player later than expected, we never gamble when it come to draft in that sense.

LAJet and FJF like this.
  11. Red Menace

Great organizations like the Steelers don't use second round picks on injured players that won't see the field for a year. If they get hurt during TC or a regular season game that's a different story because there is an investment already made on that player.

If the Jets want to become Steeler like, these are the kind of moves they can't make.

The Jets need guys they can put on the field this year, guys that can establish a foundation for the future. Spending a second round pick on an injured player is what bad organizations do.

I'm not on board with selecting injured players based on the possibility that he might come back and become a great player, I can't even remember a player injured in college and drafted by a team with a 2nd or 3rd round pick that became great.

If anyone knows of such a case please let me know, I have no problems being wrong.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Sidney Jones was my top CB, he could have been at least a top 15 pick, if not better. I feel really bad for the Kid.

Nobody knows what each front office will feel what value Jones is to their team during the draft.

I think Jones will fall to Rd 3 or Rd4, and a team (Jets) with multiple picks in round 3 might consider him. If the Jets are building for the future, waiting 18 months for Jones to be healthy might be a smart move. FWIW, the Jets are not going to be contenders in 2017, this rebuild will take a few years.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Stashing great players in a rebuilding year is not bad strategy. But rounds 1-3 should generate instant contributors. However if we have an extra third or two then why not? We are building three years out folks, not everything is for this year.

14. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Jaylon Smith went in the 2nd with a worse injury. Granted, he was looking like a top 5 pick but I think somewhere around late 2nd round is where you'll see Jones go if history repeats itself here. Obviously we don't have that luxury but if he does dip into the 3rd, I wouldn't mind the gamble with one of the 2 3rd round picks.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Macc needs to hit pretty immediate starters with his first 4-5 picks if he wants to keep his job. After that, if he wants to pick a project or two, maybe.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's a shame he was injured, especially on his last drill of the day. He probably will go round 2 the latest round 3. Would be a good pick for Cleveland to gamble on. They can easily afford to gamble with a pick.

17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I would definitely look into snagging him with a 3/4 round pick.

18. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Then again it wasn't known Jaylon Smith wouldn't play until 2017 until months after he was drafted. Teams actually thought he'd be able to play in 2016. Sidney Jones on the other hand isn't expected to play in 2017 at all, and even then he may not be ready to go full tilt until 2019.

Jaylon's situation may be more of a cautionary tale than repetition.

19. Nesquik

I dont really see the difference between us and Cleveland at this point, we arguably have the worst QB situation in the league, a bottom 5 roster and have now phased from a "competitive rebuild" to a "full rebuild". Were not going to be winning any games next year and if anything should be looking for creative ways to get talent on the roster. Trading down, taking value guys at key positions . This isn't even a gamble pick like Jaylon Smith was last year and his injury was worse. If you can get Sidney Jones in the late second 3rd round range id fully embrace the pick because it'd be a value pick at a position of great importance.