Sick of not having a Pass Rush

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 22, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with signing older veteran players. Yes, this team is rebuilding and we mostly want to focus on building through the draft, but that does not mean you can’t sign older vets. There are several options and in most cases, they would be brought in for a year or 2 max.

2. PennyandtheJets

W
    Why don’t you like KT?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who are those options? Please be specific. Just saying "there are options" is a cop out if you don't provide specific names. You're smarter and better than that, my friend. The only "older" Edge I would even consider signing is Chandler Jones, and doubt that he would sign with us.

Older players often don't do all that much when brought in as FAs. The Jets' history with that is not good. They're generally more injury prone, and since they're on the downside of their careers, they usually disappoint. I'd rather spread the FA money around to various positions, and if we sign Schultz and Daniels like we both want, we may not be able to sign an Edge any way. Even if we could, I would rather us the remaining $s to sign a S, and some OL depth, or a LB. The only place I'd be willing to sign an older FA is on the OL where speed doesn't matter as much. For instance, if we can't sign James Daniels, I'd like to sign OG Laken Tomlinson. He has been with the Niners so knows the system and the blocking scheme already and is very good.

#43 NCJetsfan, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    PennyandtheJets likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I don't get this at all. KT is a MUCH better prospect. Karlaftis is the one who looks like a surefire bust. He has no bend or flexibility, most of his big plays came when he was unblocked. His motor is very inconsistent, and he takes too many plays off. I wouldn't use a 5th round draft pick on him.

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. PennyandtheJets

:p:p:p:cool:
    Love both the guards you just mentioned! Laken and James would be fantastic fits for our line. I have my doubts about LDT returning so it might be necessary to grab one of them.

The edges that could be options?
    - Jones
    - Landry
    - Gregory
    - Clowney
    - Barnett

These are all guys that could help our pass rush. Whether or not they are willing to sign with us, I won’t debate as it is impossible to predict.

Its a huge need and I want to double down on the position. Get on in FA and early in the draft.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Bottom line to be a successful team you need these 7 positions to succeed.

1. QB
    2. Edge rusher
    3. Wide Receiver
    4. Corner
    5. LT
    6. MLB
    7. RB

At this point in the top 7 positions we don’t have a pro bowler… you just can’t win with that… to be successful AT LEAST 3 of the top 7 positions need to be pro bowl/all pro/2nd team all pro type players or your doomed from the start

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the names. I agree on Jones. Who is Landry? Gregory has character issues and is injury prone. He has never started or played in every game in a season. At least he should be cheap, so I wouldn't hate adding him. I just don't think he would help very much. Clowney has never been that good a pass rusher. I see he had a good year for Cleveland, but that's probably due to being opposite Myles Garrett. If he was willing to sign a reasonable 1-2 year deal, I guess I'd be OK with that too. I'm just tired of the Jets signing older FAs who are usually not any good and cost a lot of money.

I like that Barnett is only 25.5, but he hasn't had very good production in his career. Again, however, he should be cheap.

I don't have a problem with signing cheap older players. It's when you have to pay them $14 million plus and they're 30 or older, especially when they've had an injury history that I have a problem

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

One player that I wanted to sign last off-season is available hopefully again. Hassan Riddick, he would be a welcome addition...

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

D lines dominated 3 of the 4 games this weekend. only game they didn't was the chiefs/bills games. The niners beat the pack and MVP QB rodgers and top WR adams using defense and special teams. There isn't 1 way to win in the NFL there are many. But I agree we really need to bolster the rush

PennyandtheJets, Nyjets4eva and ouchy like this.
  10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

sick?
    get well soon

11. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

No to a trade up this draft is so deep at many positions and with so many good picks, we need to hope someone sends us the house to move up to get a guy and we can really start to put together some talented players

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Who were the two best teams in the playoffs? I'd say pretty easily the Chiefs and Bills, both teams that have foregone building through the trenches in favor of stacking the outside positions (WR, CB, S). That's also the mindset of the Bengals for what it's worth. Remember how many people thought they were making a huge mistake by passing up on Sewell in favor of Chase?

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets have the 6th most money tied up in their defensive line in the NFL. That’s rather sad for a team that ranked 26th in the league in sacks and 29th in rushing yards allowed per game.

PennyandtheJets and REVISion like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Chiefs remade their OL last offseason with the acquisitions of Brown, Thuney, Humphrey, and Smith.

And while Chase has been great for the Bengals, Burrow did take 9 sacks in Tennessee and 51 during the regular season. I'd be stunned if they ignore addressing their OL in the offseason.

It's all about balance. Competence at each position with cohesion is all I ask for. A good QB can make a mediocre OL look better by getting the ball out quicker.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

thats not how the bills are built at all. or the chiefs really. the chiefs have a top 3 QB, TE, and WR. yes they got lucky there to have them. it's the modern day aikmen, irvin, smith. but they also spent a lot on defense. they traded for frank clark, signed tyron mattheau. they have a good front 7. the bills were the number 1 defense in the NFL. they are stacked on defense.

as far as the bengals go. i'll admit I was one who said they should take sewell, but they did take an OT in the 2nd round and chase has been as good as advertised. even with that burrow was sacked 9 times in the titans game.

I thought the 4 best teams left before last weekend were the bills, chiefs, bucs, and rams. and both of them turned out to be great. likely better games then we'll see in the SB but all 4 teams are good on both sides with the exception of the chiefs

16. REVISion

Sure it is. The Bills probably have the best DB unit in the NFL and they coincidentally had the best defense this year. They can afford to have weaker receivers than the Chiefs because Allen is a top 5 running QB. The Chiefs have elite receivers if you count Kelce.

Mathieu is a safety which aligns with my point about favoring outside positions. Sorenson, their other safety, was killing them all year because he sucks.

The Bucs are yet another example of a team that prioritized outside positions. They have a good OL as well but they're stronger at receiver than at OL. Same with the Rams.

I don't care how many times Burrow was sacked vs. the Titans. The Bengals are in the conference championship right now.

On top of all these real life examples, WAR also indicates that in general, the further a position is away from the ball the more impactful it is on wins and losses. Building through the trenches is an antiquated strategy that hasn't been especially true in 15+ years. The rules of the game are a lot different than they were when building through the trenches was the commonly accepted ideal strategy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

they have 1 elite WR and an elite TE. they have below average WRs 2-4 and a below average RB/run game.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. REVISion

We can split hairs all day long but Hill and Kelce is a better WR+TE duo than just about any other team has. I never said anything about a run game. A run game isn't that important.

19. GasedAndConfused

it absolutely is. but it's a different position for example if there was a kyle pitts in the draft this year i'd gladly take him 4th overall, but I wouldn't take a waddle or devonte smith 4th overall. I would be tempted with a chase though. WR isn't a huge need for us was my main point unless there was a tyreke hill you could make a case but there really isn't in this class. the best WR in this class would have been 4-6th best in last class. but it's also a deep class with good value later on and I think I rate moore higher then you do as well

20. REVISion

Oh I definitely agree the WR value is in the mid-late first round this year. I think Moore is awesome and has 1k yard potential, I'd just really like a bigger option who's better than Corey Davis to put alongside him.

If we can get London/Burks in the mid-late 1st and McBride in the 2nd I'll be ecstatic.

NCJetsfan likes this.