SI Article - Albert Breer Interviews JD re Sam & QB Decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 9, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

geno throwing that perfect game in the final week of the season gave us so much hope. but the OG hope and fail will always be holey foley

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Clearly not my point but OK.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Or maybe they're not even considering Lawrence at all since it's seems a foregone conclusion that the Jags are taking him. So in that line of thinking, maybe they consider Wilson and Fields as the two.

Red Menace and REVISion like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The writer said in the third part of the article that he assumed that Lawrence was one of the two on JD's list.

5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

How about no. Actually, that is an emphatic no. JD was dumping Darnold while watching Wilson. ;)

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

They certainly were last year (19)

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know that, but that was the writer's assumption. I'm just pointing out that Douglas may have meant they were considering two QBs, with Lawrence not being considered because the assumption is that he won't be available.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Average at best. A low tier starter, more of a backup. He has never been and never will me be more

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

JD did say he liked how Trey Lance arm was even stronger in person, watching him on tape did not reveal how strong he was. It could be a Joe Flacco situation all over again, big strong armed QB that has tons of help around him.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I do like the process that all the decision makers evaluated the top QBs independently (to avoid group think) and then together reached a consensus together or what JD called a "pure consensus." I am glad they were all able to agree that there were 2 QBs in this class worth drafting in Lawrence and Wilson and that it was clear these 2 had separated themselves from the other QBs prospects. I do like JD's inclusive style making everyone involved and invested in the pick of Wilson. I like Wilson for many reasons but I acknowledge that I am wrong as much as I am right so it is refreshing and reassuring to see the entire FO so strongly behind their evaluation and pick of Wilson.This is the first time I have had hope and confidence in a Jets FO in quite some time. This might be the time we actually get things right.

#90 Noam, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

What do they mean by raw? How was Mahomes raw?

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My guess is that they were talking about his playing in the spread offense and having had no experience in a pro-style offense.

ColoradoContrails and papapump like this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It’s one of the overused buzz words of the overthinkers. Mahomes, Watson, Allen and Herbert were all “raw”. Fields is the new “raw” prospect.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/justin-fields-scouting-report

#93 legler82, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    baalworship likes this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Was Prescott and R. Wilson considered raw as well? Fields is their love child They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree, but think maybe it's just semantics. When one says that someone isn't good at something, imo that means that person has little or no knowledge or skill at that thing. That simply isn't true of Teddy. He is a solid starter. His only real flaw is that he doesn't have a cannon for an arm. That doesn't mean he isn't good at football. He just doesn't have elite talent. He's smart, he works hard, understands the nuances of the QB position, he is accurate, makes good decisions, plays hard and give it his all. He's a leader and great citizen/person. He's definitely good at football. IMO if he weren't good at football, he wouldn't be in the NFL. Every player in the NFL is good at football or they wouldn't be there. If you mean that Teddy isn't "good enough" or doesn't have a strong enough arm, then I'd agree with that. I think he maximizes/gets the most out of his talent, and that takes skill and intelligence.

I respect you and we often agree, but to say that he isn't is a good football player is mistaken imo. Do you think Chad Pennington was average at best, and a low tier starter? It seems to me that you must, since Chad and Teddy are basically the same player. Chad was more talented, but not by a wide margin, at least not after all his shoulder injuries.

Noam likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Teddy Bridgewater will probably end up being a great NFL or NCAA HC some day.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

So Noam, you are saying that I should invest in Lower Ball season tickets to witness greatness that will be upon us? :)

Noam likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I couldn't possibly agree more with everything you said.

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Brook, there are two things I have learned in 60 years.
    1. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people. They are much dumber than anyone can imagine.
    2. Be prepared for the Jets to destroy all your hopes and dreams in the worst possible way possible. Things may look good and I am genuinely optimistic about the Jets future. I love the process, approach, strategic and thoughtful thinking of JD. IMO he is the smartest and best GM we have ever had and we are finally in good hands. I just loved how he moved around and manipulated the draft last year. JD is the real deal. But even if one does everything right there is a large amount of luck involved in drafting and putting a team together and luck has never been our friend. So my thought is be optimistic but always be prepared for the worst.

20. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Yeah, sounds like a bunch of BS.

Trevor Lawrence had less throws than Mahomes and is playing in a high school spread offense. But he's polished?

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.