SI Article - Albert Breer Interviews JD re Sam & QB Decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 9, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

of course nothing is the end all / be all. If it was easy every guy on TGG could be a HOF GM

papapump, PJ4Ever and legler82 like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I was talking about Jet QB's NOT named Darnold. But to answer the question, I was super excited when we drafted Sam because I didn't know any better. My son was pounding the pulpit for Darnold like you are for Fields. I didn't watch college football and I took his word for it (He was extremely high on Maholmes in that draft). Same goes for Sanchez except I had no opinion one way or the other on draft day. But it didn't take me long to figure out he wasn't very good.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. bicketybam

So who do you think we drafted other than Darnold that would have gone on to be great had they been drafted by another team? I'm all ears.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think there’s a world where Sanchez could have been a servicable starter for us long term with better offensive coaching. But like you said he wasn’t good enough to overcome coaching.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure I understand the question? Who do I think we would've drafted and ruined if it wasn't Darnold?

I'm not sure. I don't think Darnold's poor performance is solely on his own shoulders even if a lot of it probably is. What I think doesn't happen with a player like him is that he gets rebuilt into any sort of franchise quarterback after his career started the way it did. I would not be shocked if he has good seasons here and there especially as he nears the journeyman peak of 27-33 and walks into the right situation.

I think great quarterbacks are going to be great where ever they go. That's why I don't believe in drafting "system" fits.

All Gas No Shake and legler82 like this.
  6. bicketybam

I'll go back to my original question. Name the QB's the Jets ruined....guys that would have been good if they were drafted by another team. Exclude Darnold.

7. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Who is that?

Is it a failed highly drafted USC QB that turned his career around after moving away from the franchise that drafted him?

Seem quite familiar for some reason.

papapump and azhar80 like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

how dare you. too soon to be digging in that knife :D

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You have high standards for a Jets fan.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

You're right. It's a bit of recency bias especially considering we spent 8 years piddling around with the position until we drafting Darnold. However I do believe the first part of my statement is correct.
    I don't quite understand the comparison though. Palmer was an MVP candidate in Cincinnati for a couple years. He didn't turn his career around after he left, he continued it.

Palmer's a weird guy too. This has nothing to do with what you said, but Boomer + Gio have him on from time to time and I believe he doesn't watch a minute of football anymore.

legler82 likes this.
  11. Kryoptix

I was teasing as for Palmer he had a pretty good career overall with everything considered he was just unable to win a SuperBowl and turn around the Bengals.

SOJAZ and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah man. Palmer is the only reason I had pause on Darnold to break the USC bias. Three is a trend at this point though when you factor in Leinart, Sanchez, Darnold and the lesser guys like John David Booty, Barkley, Kessler, etc. It's the only positional/university bias I have.

I tried to watch without taking that into consideration but I do think Kedon Slovis will be the next USC bust. The suck-off fest that goes on by announcers during his games is nauseating.

13. Kryoptix

I do take the school program in consideration not much of a factor but still. I am probably more often than not a small school guy because they get less media exposure. That was also one of the reason why I was on Josh Allen bandwagon from day 1.

14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Bridgewater isn’t good at football though

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So back to the article. Fans who were sayin "Only reason Sam is still on the roster is b/c he sucks and no other team wants him" were wrong (8 teams, several offers, one good offer).

On the other hand, fans who were saying "We still have Sam because he's worth more to JD to have Sam in his back pocket while he evaluates the draft" were right.

JD has said over and over he values having flexibility in the draft, and he approaches FA as just that. He said he picks FA's that give him max draft flexibility.

And that's exactly what Sam was giving JD early in the process. Draft flexibility. It wasn't until JD evaluated the top prospects and zeroed in on Zack/2 that he was willing to part with his safety net. And he still got 3 draft picks late in the process.

Can't wait April 28!!!

SOJAZ, Noam and azhar80 like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

above all, the 1 thing I got more from this article then anything is i really love JD as our GM.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nonsense.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Hackenberg :)

bicketybam likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think they've ruined a single QB. They certainly haven't helped them, but imo the problem has been the QBs that the Jets drafted weren't very good prospects anyway. All the bad decisions and dumb moves led to bad luck. And the years the Jets drafted high or were able to trade up, they were never able to get a topnotch QB prospect.

The only really good/great QBs that I've ever heard of that they really wanted to draft and missed out on were Peyton Manning and Brett Favre. We can thank the Tuna's ego for missing out on Manning, and the decision to draft a player in the supplemental draft for causing us to miss Favre.

Just like many of the players at other positions the Jets drafted, the QBs they drafted sucked because we had lousy GMs and scouts.

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The other interesting part of the article is that the FO only thinks this is a 2 QB draft class where there are only 2 QBs in this draft that they value greater than Sam and think are worth drafting. Presumably Lawrence and Wilson.

Jets79 and Footballgod214 like this.