Should Trey Lance be in Consideration?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Feb 13, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great feedback. Thanks

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I've had a weird vibe that trading back and taking Lance is what's going to happen. I dont know why, just a gut feeling. I tried to maneuver a mock draft around it. I did 6 rounds, and that was already too much for me, since I didnt know any of the players remaining. Picked up a fair amount of picks next year as well

Edit- Tried to post a picture and failed

9. Trey Lance
    23. Rashawn Slater
    34. Kadarius Toney
    39. Zaven Collins
    41. Creed Humphrey
    86. Brevin Jordan (TE Miami)
    107. Ambry Thomas (CB Michigan)
    147. Chubba Howard
    155. Richard LeCounte (S Georgia)
    188. Cornell Powell (WR Clemson)
    [​IMG]

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Slater makes it to 23, Toney to 34, Collins to 39, Humphrey to 41, or Jordan to 86.

You could be right about JD trading down and taking Lance however. That wouldn't surprise me at all. He'll need to have a veteran QB to start this year, however.

4. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Maybe one makes it to their slot here, but I doubt it.

I'd sign up for this draft no question though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Lance is a candidate in a trade down scenario because it takes all the pressure off him and he could develop behind a vet like CJ Beathard that knows the offence for a year and learn the offence. Rushed in as the starter day 1 as the number 2 pick would be an epic disaster and ruin his confidence that would lead to him busting like Darnold, Trubisky, RG3 etc etc... I strongly feel the same way about Wilson...

Their level of competition and fellow teammates are mostly amateurs and will never see the pros... this is a huge problem with development and game speed. Both Lance and Wilson have awesome qualities you look for in a FQB and they have confidence in their ability because they are far superior to their teammates and competition. Take that away moving on to the pros because everyone is now good is where the questions will be answered.

6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

trey lance is super raw as a passer
    In NFL terms. In the games I’ve watched, he does not have ideal ball placement or consistent accuracy.

his NFL trajectory at best would be like Josh Allen, where he has several rough years of on the job learning before a potential breakout season.

given what the Jets have just endured with Darnold the last 3 years, I can’t see fans having the appetite to stomach that sort of thing.

i think it’s Watson, Wilson/Fields... or stick with Darnold for 1 more year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. I think for certain that if take Lance, he will sit his rookie season. At some point, he has to play however, so unless he really worked hard and learned a lot his rookie season in practice, there would still be a rough adjustment period his 2nd and maybe 3rd seasons in the NFL, and that's if he can fix those issues. Some QBs cannot. He ran the ball a LOT at NDSU. How would he adjust to not doing that in the NFL? Is he just gonna take off and run when his receivers look covered? Will having to change the trajectory of his throws and working on placement and accuracy undermine his confidence? He could wind up being an all-time great, or he could wind up like Cam Newton, or maybe even much worse.

His talent and arm is tantalizing, however. I could totally understand JD taking him. I'd be excited, but nervous.