Should the Jets trade M. Maye to the Raiders?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BomberJet, Oct 29, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If some team is offering a 2nd plus you probably do it but the “we’re too far away to resign good players just keeps the team on a hamster wheel. The idea is to retain good players at fair deals v the cap while trying to get young talent to out perform their rookie deals .

2. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

100%, and I think fat boy knows that

3. Stevied

If he was early 20’s, I 100% agree. Again, you and I agree with that philosophy. Maye isn’t young for his years in the league though

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But he isn’t going to fall of a cliff in the next 3 years and he probably isn’t going to get a deal that isn’t cuttable after 2. That’s worth more than some late pick when you’re trying to build a team .

5. Stevied

Maye is turning 28, and has been injury prone. Don’t sell for 30 cents on the dollar, but I’d be open to moving if the right offer came.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It really depends on who they sign and for how much vs who leaves and for how much.

I suspect the Jets will sign a big free agent WR next year because of the lack of depth at that position. Elsewhere it is anybody's guess as to what Joe Douglas values in free agency. The good teams generally sign guys who are cheap and under-valued in free agency. The good vets who are on the way out and will take one last cheap contract to play with a winner. The mid-career guys coming off an injury that made their home team decline - driving their value down in the process.

The Jets free agent problems over the years come down to the fact that they over-value people in free agency and buy them at the top of the market. What you don't want to do is to buy 28/29 year old players at a premium. You don't want to sign anybody 30 and over to do more than fill a hole for a year.

You don't want to sign people at positions that you must fill long-term for the health of the roster. No vet QB's, no vet LT's, no vet edge rushers or CB's, etc. Signing a 27 year old CB to a big free agent contract just means you will be looking to fill that position again in a few years even if he works out. Signing a guy like Trumaine Johnson is just suicide, as the Jets discovered on the field. However even if Johnson had worked out for a few years he's 30 now and would be declining.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Don't start this crap again. He's had one season where he missed games.

8. Stevied

Again? If this is again, I’m unaware of the first incarnation of this. Think it’s been common knowledge he’s been consistently nicked up and yes for one season even “injured” early in his career. Remember, he had a calf injury this year that almost kept him out of the opener.

Although you may be right, I can’t recall any instances since the one year where he’s flat out missed games.

Overall, I like him a lot and wanna keep him. Just his age, where we are now/will be in a few years and what we could possibly get have me open to dealing however.

9. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Been saying this in many threads. You are SO spot on. The love affair with picks and cap space on this board above quality young players continues year after year to baffle me.

10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Traded players dont account for comp picks I don't believe. Need to be lost in FA

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Marcus Maye is one of the few players that we have to build around.

With that said he will be a free agent at the end of this year.

We should be working out an extension before the trade deadline.

If he won't go for it and wants to "test the market" then yes we should regrettably trade him if we can get something good in return.

12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

So right on. More enjoyment on planning for the draft 10 years from now than keeping quality players and starting to methodically grow the talent levels on this team. It's like if anyone is over 26 years old, they could never be part of the future. Can't tell you how many times stuff like that is said. "If they are X age, they won't be part of the future so let's get rid of them." As if any successful franchise has all 53 players under 25. So strange. Then we wonder why young talent doesn't develop without any veteran leadership. And I am not talking about Frank Gore type ages. Early 30s veterans can/should be part of a winning culture.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is what I said. Sorry if I was not clear. My point was if you trade him you have to account for the potential loss of a 2022 comp pick.

88toon likes this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

What NFL players aren't nicked up? They probably aren't doing their job if they aren't nicked up. It's been a constant theme on here for a couple of years among certain posters that he is injury prone and it just isn't true.

He had surgery before his rookie season and missed a fair bit of camp as a result but played every game. He then had another surgery in his sophomore season, which I think was a planned follow up, and wasn't ready for the start of the season as the recovery took a bit longer than expected, then played a few games before getting a thumb injury that put him out for a week then played a few and had shoulder injury that put him on IR (there was a bit of talk that he possibly could have recovered and played by season end but the Jets chose otherwise). Since then I don't think he's missed any time. So he's been injured and missed time as a result precisely twice, all in the same season. The worst accusation you could make is that he heals a bit slower than you would ideally like.

stinkyB, K'OB, FJF and 2 others like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You'll see. I never heard anything about Becton smoking marijuana, but even if he did, that's pretty much a non-issue these days. It has been stated several times that Douglas looks for high character players that love football, are hard workers, and intelligent. Look at the players he drafted. Not a single Polite-type or Dalvin Cook-type among them. I think many, if not most, of them were team captains.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. FieldsofDreams

Maye is not untouchable. Just an average player, really. If the deal is right then move him. Think he wants to re-sign here? Lol he won’t care if Jets keep him or dump him. I don’t think anyone on this team cares.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You can always gauge the content of a post by who likes it.

So easy to spot any that disparage Maye in the slightest :rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Yes, that bugged me big time. It's not very often that the Jets get it right. I still feel that JD should have gone more out of his way to make nice with Jamal.

But it's past us now. I'm hoping that Maye stays with the Jets. He may not be star caliber but I think Williams is going to put him in the right position to play better here on out. We'll have to see. These FA signings have killed the Jets so I'm thinking ahead to where JD may try to sign a replacement.

#58 BomberJet, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets get a serious offer for Maye they definitely need to look at it.

A late 2nd round pick is not a serious offer.

There really is not enough serious analytic work done in the NFL on the value of a player in a given content.

For the Jets Maye might not be worth much more than that late 2nd but for a team where he is the last piece of the puzzle *this* year? He's pure gold for that team and so he is worth substantially more than their late round 2nd round pick next season.

The Jets should be selling Maye into that pure gold market if they move him at all. Taking the lesser value that he represents to the Jets poor talent pool is just a losing move in the end.

JD got it absolutely right with Adams when he got the 2 1st round picks from Seattle. For Seattle Adams was worth those two picks in *this* season and JD got the value out of them.

If we're going to trade Maye we need to get the full value again. A team where Maye is the last piece of the puzzle could well be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in February and they should pay for that value in full.

#59 Br4d, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Average means he's better than 50% of the league. Jets need to keep their average guys as a foundation and unfortunately they don't lock them up.

I think he will see a lot of interest in FA so he's probably gone.

ColoradoContrails likes this.