Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Aaron Rodgers isn't on long or short term IR by week 7 of 2024... at this point I will be shocked.

mezzavo, ouchy and KWJetsFan like this.
  2. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

You are preaching to the choir on that. I been pointing out that making that bet on Rodgers, as opposed to pretty much any alternative bet on the FA board, was essentially a massive reality calculation mistake since day 1 of the Hackett hiring. We blew up the grinding up rebuild early to chase ticket sales and pipe dreams.

None of that still changes the unfortunate reality that when what you say there happens, and it will....it's going to be taking place *after* the draft and after the opportunity to draft a QB is gone.

Rodgers needs to fall on his face and we need to hit a further rock bottom before Woody is going there. Doesn't matter for now how ridiculous we may find it to potentially watch Caleb Williams fall right past us in the draft while Woody holds firm on the extremely visible commitment he made to one of the all time greats. Until that face plant happens all of our commitment chips are going stay pushed in on idea this is Rodgers team to win with. With that 1st round pick (especially with no 2nd) being a huge dedicated piece in helping him try and do that.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Caleb Williams doesn't fall past us. Caleb Williams gets traded for a rebuild haul.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Really depends what the Jets do in free agency. They need to build the OL, and need more offensive weapons.

But if they have an opportunity to draft a QB, you need to.

You eventually need a future, if Rodgers gives you 1-2 years.

The better question is why would I trust Joe Douglas to get this right?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

And there's the reason they shouldn't draft him.

The combination of this franchise and then this specific regime in particular is not a good environment to bring a young QB into. I bet that this bunch would have ruined Peyton Manning if they'd had the chance.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The same logic keeps getting respun again and again.

Was Sam worth a first and 3 seconds? Was Zach worth walking away from 3 firsts and a 3rd? Did either of these guys ever have a complete offense to develop with?

Lets build a core first and fill in the QB when were ready.

teamgreen likes this.
  7. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

If Rodgers is back, you go oline in round 1. If he's not, you go QB.

8. Kronoking

You could swap JD out with anybody else GM'ing right now and outcome on drafting a QB this year in particular isn't going to change.

The same owner not giving the go ahead ok on that either way will still be here.

9. Kronoking

Ehhh.

*This* option is where the not trusting that room to both think ahead that far and get that right aspect pops it's ugly head in imo.

Ideally would that be as something a lot of us fans would like to see happen? Yes. Something that probably happens over taking the safe W to parade around on the OL guy they embarrassing missed out on last year? Just don't see it.

10. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I hope so, god, allah, oprah, whoever is in control, please let us get a haul in the draft. We really really need it. I need it.

papapump and ouchy like this.
  11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

So it seems we're batting around three options:

1. The current regime is still in place and drafts a QB
    2. The current regime is still in place and either trades the pick or drafts help for 2024 in an effort to get Rodgers what he needs
    3. The current regime is gone and a new regime drafts a QB

Realistically, only 2 and 3 are options. The current regime knows it is next year or bust and is not going to draft for the future. There's no world in which I see that considering having no 2nd round pick and very little cap space.

So which of 2 and 3 do you guys prefer? I think 2 is much more likely but I'm ok either way. I just do NOT want a lame duck GM drafting a QB and throwing away 2024 (which is what happens if we skip rounds 1 and 2 as regards 2024) and then having this mutt of a coaching staff start the development of our shiny new QB - only to have to change coaches and systems in year 2. Bass ackwards.

For once in its miserable existence, this team needs to be proactive and commit to (and stick with) a plan. It's one or the other - Frankensteining this sets the franchise back again and also virtually assures the failure of another young QB.

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The 1st round pick is not a huge dedicated piece to winning now. The FO and Rodgers openly stated that they felt the roster was championship caliber, and he was the final piece. They were wrong obviously, but that’s their own ego and stupidity and the bed they should have to lay in. To allow them to further trash the future of the team because they now realize they were wrong would be malfeasance. We’re going to have a top 5 pick in a year with a good QB crop. Next year we’re likely going to have a middle of the draft to later in the draft pick most likely. We can either take a QB now without giving up assets, sit him for a year, and have a ready to go in a year or two. Or next season we can try mortgaging our future even more trying to trade up for a guy. It’s a no brainer to me.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Jets have shown time and time again they either don't know how to pick or develop young QBs. If they miss again could set them back even longer. Hard to believe they haven't been to playoffs since 2010 season. I remember that game in Pittsburgh like it was yesterday.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Somewhere there is a guy waking up from a 13 year coma who, for him, it was yesterday.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We really need Oprah on our side for this one...

barfolomew likes this.
  16. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

She would be a better owner than Johnson. Imagine Dr. Phil on the sidelines every game. He could have been a defensive lineman back in the day.