Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I didn't see that, but if the Jets had a RB as their top choice then that's just about a firable offense as well.

REVISion likes this.
  2. The_Darksider

lol Just said the same thing before i read your reply.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  3. The_Darksider

This makes a hell of a lot more sense. And the reality shows being scripted - man, my wife watches that crap all the time and none of it seems even remotely spontaneous. She eats it up.

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I heard " on the wind" that Chicago "may" move on from Fields. If that's the case would there be any interest? I don't give a rats backside on WHAT Rodgers thinks on this point. Although...

Having floated that out there, the NY Football Jets simply have never, EVER, drafted a QB and then coached him up. Pennington came to us gift wrapped so that doesn't count. Every other QB we have drafted has shit the bed and not lasted 5 years. ALL of our meager success has come at the hands of re-treads. Vinny T., Fitzpatrick, Favre. Kind of sad when you think about how meager our success has really been. I brought up Fields name because of our history of doing better with re-treads.

Someone in the thread mentioned that this regime will be gone if this team doesn't win another game. Referenced something Rex Ryan said. I have to agree. 4 & 13 will definitely get someone fired. The question is who? CLEARLY O-Coordinator is on the block unless Rodgers is wholly adamant that Hackett remains. I can see Woody capitulating to him. So, if not Can't-Hackett, who? Regardless, what does that mean for the QB position? Does anyone think it would be possible for these numb nuts to go to Rodgers and ask him, "Yo, WHO do YOU think we should draft at QB?" I mean, seriously. Rodgers is as narcissistic as they get so why not make it seem like it was HIS idea? You want to draft a QB that Rodgers doesn't get his panties in a twist about, make it HIS idea. If it's not to far off the beaten path, you see if the guy is capable and worthy of whatever slot the team would use to draft him. Either way, Fields/other vet or draft a QB, we have GOT to get someone in here that is capable of backing up Rodgers WHEN he DOES go down next year as well as just maybe we get someone who we can win with after Rodgers is gone.

Wilson is done. If not by the Jets hand, I suspect after how the team handled this year, the kid walks away on his own hoping to catch on somewhere less volatile. What he SHOULD do is go to the American Football league or XFL and get some more experience/coaching while not under the bright lights of NYC. He has the physical tools he simply doesn't have the mental makeup. A trip to one of the lesser leagues, Canada perhaps, will either put the nail in his football coffin or give him what he needs most which is GOOD coaching and experience.

To wrap this up, my answer is NO! We should NOT draft a 1st round QB. The team has proven time and time again that they can't get it done. One last nugget. HAD we drafted Lawrence, I'm 99.9% certain we would have ruined him and he would have amounted to nothing. There's always that .01% chance but all data is to the contrary.

ouchy likes this.
  5. The_Darksider

Logically, you can't fire one and leave the others - EXCEPT Joe Douglas. If you leave him in place and turn the keys over to him again, that makes sense. May not be smart, but we've see what happens when fire coaches, but leave in OCs. Or fire GMs, and leave coaches. I'm not prepared to give Douglas a clean slate to start over again, so....

If Rodgers won't "let" them fire Hackett, then everyone runs it back next year and, barring a miracle, you clean house from top to bottom at the end of 2024.

mezzavo likes this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

No to Fields, unless they can Hackett and bring in someone you can be really confident can game plan to his skills. Which are a universe away from Aaron Rodgers' skill set. Hackett can't game plan for shit to account for Zach Wilson, no way you can let him try to make it work with Fields.

stinkyB and mezzavo like this.
  7. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Once you spend any time of the other side of the camera you never can watch any of that reality tv stuff the same way again.

I'm sure most people watched that and just focused in what was shown to be said on the screen. I'm a little fuzzy as it's been a while but I remember immediately taking note of just how little supposed real time draft room interaction was there, just how extremely zoomed in that camera was, (especially on every one of those Joe D scenes which I would guess were planned to be shot after-the-fact regardless), and the fact that McDonald/Mayer/Broderick plug everybody wanted to talk about a month latter was shown in an off camera voice over of somebody else just standing around.

The_Darksider likes this.
  8. The_Darksider

My wife is a big fan of Catfish, that's the only one I watch with her. All the housewives shows, all of those dating shows - garbage, I watch none of them. But Catfish is so clearly and obviously contrived, I don't know how people ever think it's even partially real.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There's certainly drafts that would support your argument (Eli, Rivers, and Ben comes to mind).
    There are others where it's a potential major drop off.

My point is, do we want JD being the one making that QB evaluation considering his track record?
    Do we want him making any impactful future decisions at all if he is going into his lame duck 6th year of contract?
    Passing on a QB because he finally feels pressure to win would drive me more crazy than sitting on his hands this year on the position.

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Not “Green Bay’ing him”? Thats ridiculous. He had at least 6 season still in the tank when they drafted Love. This is his last season, it’s irrelevant to him who we draft. McDonald wasn’t a panic. If JD panicked he’d have drafted one of the many talented WR’s he passed on for McDonald. Honestly, just wait until this class of QB shines while we’re starting the McCown of the era because we took some OL over them for Rodgers. That’s just monumentally stupid/

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

obviously it's an edited clip but i mean he still said it. it's not like they faked a war room.

12. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Did I miss where Rodgers has come out and stated next year as being his last season? All I've seen is him push back anytime the question is brought up if this Jets move is going be a one and done thing for him.

A QB in the draft isn't happening until that happens. It just isn't. On top of the fact Woody isn't going to do Rodgers that dirty after he left $35m on the table to come here, it simply would reflect too poorly on the organization to boot.

If you wanted Rodgers and spent last offseason cheering the acquisition...that is what you signed up for as a fan at that. Period. Taking on the "is he gonna want to play next year or not" uncertainty stuff on a year to year basis was always going to potentially be a part of the Rodgers package.

#152 Kronoking, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  13. GasedAndConfused

not that i agree with it but gibbs does look damn good and it's an offensive weapon. hacketts system likes 2 backs and run to set up the throw. plus breece was coming off an ACL and wasn't sure if he'd be ready for the season or when he'd be ready at that point

14. The_Darksider

Not quite the same extent, but it's like drafting McDonald. Much bigger needs and RBs can be found anywhere.

15. GasedAndConfused

when we drafted sauce we had bigger needs the CB too. when we drafted Q we had bigger needs then DT. when the niners drafted bosa they had bigger needs then edge rusher. Lots of teams don't worry about needs with high picks and would rather get a blue chip player then fill in needs later. it's one draft philosophy.

edit: just counted off the 1st rounders and i'd say easily 16-17 of them including us took players that were far from their biggest needs

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be fair to Joe, that’s probably from the Little Caesar’s Woody sprung for in the war room.

17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

No trade down if our pick is high enough. Get OL for rodgers in first two rounds. 3rd round WR

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

"Our research teams tell me that's the food that people like."

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Another thing is, imagine JD is still here and we get a top 5 pick and say we even get a chance at top 2 QBs. Or a 3d QB who many consider amazing prospect. There is no way JD would pick him. His ass in so much on fire, and MUST win next year and a rookie QB probably is not going to be very good 1st year - CJ Stroud appears to be the exception. Whereas if we have a new GM with clean slate he is more likely to make the best overall selection, even including long term view. Say a GM feels Daniels or whoever it is gives a significant probability of success to be FQB. Then he has an option to pick him and sit him behind Aaron for a year or two. Again he doesn't have to do it, but it is an option. With JD still in place that option would not be realistic, so not every possible option would be on the table. Which is yet another reason why JD shouldn't be the one making this selection.

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

No it’s not. He committed for 2 years. This year was one of them. He’s gonna be 41 next season with a blown Achilles. He’s not going to be that great , I hate to break it to you. He might’ve been had he remained healthy this year, but a year off football over 40 is a death knell. The averageness will play out next year and will result in everyone being fired and the slate wiped clean. No one is safe from the tragedy of the NYJ’s. If you think Rodgers and the team will play well enough next year to warrant extending the FO and keeping Rodgers for longer I have a bridge to sell you

mezzavo likes this.