Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

When you use it with people you know, it's great. Keep in touch with people, reconnect with people, etc. When you branch out into fan groups...... oof.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not really interested in everyone's i know and people they know posting their shower thoughts

The_Darksider likes this.
  3. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Whatever they do don't draft Penix. I can't take 3 years of Jets fans acting like little kids with the penis jokes. He'd fail in NY for that reason alone. The fans would be sold that he sucks from day 1.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Williams and McCarthy. I would love to get one of those guys personally from what I've watched thus far on the upcoming QB's.

However.

No chance this regime deserve to make that next pick, which Is unfortunate because I do like some of these QB's coming out.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So no #1 BIG PENIX jersey from NFLshop.com ? :(

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I am firmly in the OL/WR camp.

HOWEVER, if the Pats screw up and win a few games, and we somehow end up drafting ahead of them, then by all means, find out who Belichick wants and steal him without hesitation.

sackexchange likes this.
  7. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Can't agree more. Only defense for them is that the 2021 draft looks like it was one player deep in retrospect. Aside from Lawrence , they all suck.

8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I think as the teams in front of them continue to win, it's time to truly root for the tank, get into that 2 or 3 spot, and trade out.

Fuck drafting a QB.

TwoHeadedMonster and ouchy like this.
  9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Well lucky for you then that we already have QB that will surely have a big consideration say in what that pick is going to be, and what he believes gives his run with this team the best chance to win in 2024.

Unless Harrision is there with Rodgers being absolutely over the moon for kid believing he can be a major year 1 difference maker, the high probability there is it ends up being OT with the pick basically making itself. So the odds are good even they can't screw it up.

Just need to keep losing.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan is pretty confident that this entire regime is gone if they end the season 1-9 or 0-10. He has said it multiple times in ESPN Radio this week and he keeps mentioning how woody doesn’t care. He wants to win and will wipe the slate clean

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m a fan of Rodgers and supported bringing him in here. Still do. He has zero say in next year’s draft. Zero. What is he gonna do, retire because we didn’t draft some kid in his final season? We drafted Will McDonald last year. The draft is just about irrelevant to Rodgers. OT’s struggle in their first seasons, WR’s are hit and miss. You don’t draft those positions thinking they’re the final piece for a SB that season. And you definitely don’t draft anyone explicitly to appease a guy that’s only going to be here a year. We traded for Rodgers because this FO openly said we have a championship caliber team that was missing the final piece at QB. They’ve made that bed. The draft is for the future, and we desperately need a QB for the future.

12. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I'm concerned that if the Jets don't fix the O-line and WR positions it won't really matter who they draft at QB in 2024. A year as an understudy to AROD, then take over as a sophmore with the same dogshit foundation and skill position talent isn't going to put a young QB in a position to be successul. The Jets O-line talent even if all healthy is not a good O-line, and the WR talent depth may be the worst in the NFL after GW.

13. Kronoking

McDonald was a panic pick after the Jets helped themselves to get blindsided out of the OT option they spent the entire offseason writing into every one of their draft tree possibilities in permanent marker. The idea Rodgers also won't have any group input say in what what we pick for *his* team and for *his* season following a disaster year like this isn't really acknowledging how this franchise is being run atm/imo.

Which even if it did end up being WR instead of OT btw isn't actually as flaky imo in the grander scheme of things as you make it out to be either. Especially when viewed from the 5 year lens of a fan's perspective on the outside, and one who is willing to acknowledge that 2024 might ultimately end up playing out to be a punt year regardless when the idea that a declined 41yo Aaron Rodgers doesn't need any competent coaching support falls flat on it's face, and when we don't have a single competent offensive mind in the coaching room capable of fixing that mess. That plus the recent year salary scale shift on what you can expect to have to pay out on an elite WR doesn't make it as reach'y as it (rightfully) used to be if you happen to be super high on a guy.

The only zero chance here is the Jets drafting QB. Which again, if you believe otherwise you aren't paying enough attention imo. Woody is not Green Bay'ing Rodgers after he took a $35m paycut to come here. Doesn't matter how you or I feel about it. Better to just brace yourself and start letting that hard reality sink in now. That is just the continued price we will be paying to put Aaron Rodgers on this team.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

so you didn't see the video from behind the scenes during the draft? jets wanted gibbs he was their 1 on the board for pick 15. lions took him at 12 and JD was asked who's your top 3 left now (top 3 likely since we were 3 picks away) and the answer was 1) WMD 2) Mayer (TE raiders took in the 2nd) 3) Jones. Jones was our 4th option.

so why make stuff up that clearly isn't true?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

And JD should be fired for that being his draft board. Gibbs … a RB at #1 with Breece already is sooo stupid.

16. GasedAndConfused

i mean i don't agree with it either but gibbs is tearing it up in detroit right now.

17. Kronoking

You mean the heavily edited fluff piece that was released a full month after the draft concluded, and in the wake of the potential need to spin a better looking PR story out the perception that the team fumbled that pick after Green Bay bent them over the table in Rodgers comp settlement?

Yeah i saw it. Like most documentary crap on tv nowadays it actually came off about as real and genuine to me as a few of reality dating shows I spent 4 years working on as a woefully underpaid post-production assistant. That maybe your wife watched and enjoyed, and while choosing to be willfully oblivious to just how much of it was scripted and often re-shot/altered after-the-fact to fit the desired story narratives we wanted to push out in every weekly episode.

You can basically place that 1 step above "Rodgers said so" on my own buy-in scale of just how much stock I'm going to put in something that trys to shift the blame game off off where it rightfully appears to belong. I been arguing with you guys a lot on other things, but if you want to put this your sticking point to those why JD needs to be fired rants....you'll get no push back on that from me.

18. GasedAndConfused

i mean it was a clip from a live video in the draft room. thats about as honest as you can get. even if it is edited it's still he way the jets felt. not like he was putting on a show or pretending after the fact
    also GB bent them over? rodgers was by far the cheapest top QB traded. russ went for 3 1sts+, watson went for 3 1sts+ rodgers went for a 2nd and a conditional 2nd (that could have been a 1st) and a swap of 1sts which was 2 picks.

19. Kronoking

If there was an actual more raw form clip out there from the draft room, with that supposed draft priority conversation taking place in more convincing real time presentation, I've never seen it. I'd be interested and open to re-evaluate my stance though if maybe i just missed that.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It was an edited piece of team propaganda. Joe Douglas looked to me like he wanted to vomit during that "scene" where he was predicting which team outmaneuvered him.

The_Darksider likes this.