Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

This is an 8-9 win team with Rodgers...best case.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Absolutely the Jets should take a QB with next years first, and should consider trading 2025’s first in order to secure the one they want.
    It’s a great QB class.

This is why JD needs to be fired.
    You can’t let a lame duck GM in their 6th year, with a history of horrible QB staffing decisions, be the one to decide this franchise’s long term future.
    You also can’t waste a year of this rookie learning Hackett’s useless system.
    Rodgers is gonna have to deal with a new OC.
    The OL and WR positions need to be upgraded in FA, so we can simultaneously compete in 2024.

This will be an attractive job for a GM/CS with Rodgers and a top prospect QB waiting in wings.

JetDan likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Jets should never draft a QB again in the first round. This organization, fan base, and city will destroy any young QB. Bring in a vet.

#103 cval, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we were 4-3 with shit QB play from a backup against the toughest schedule in the NFL. Not sure how, but we were. Rodgers tips the scales in many of those losses. we are probably 6-1 with him to start the year. then more and more injuries piled up to the o-line

5. GasedAndConfused

we did. he got hurt lol

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We should try again with the next regime.

7. GasedAndConfused

If rodgers wants to play in 2024 which it seems like he does, I can't imagine any regime replacing him. also cap wise it's not feasible. like it or not, there is a 99% chance no major changes are made this offseason. woody even came out before the season and said there is no playoff mandate. rodgers getting hurt will give everyone a hall pass. JD's contract isn't up until after 2024 and woody is giving him the full 6 years of the deal. all of it leads to the most likely answer of 2024 is going to be this regime, with rodgers at QB trying to make a run. 2025 is the eyar up in the air. JDs contract is up, rodgers may retire, a new GM would likely want their own CS so we are still a yeah and a half from any possible change. and if we do really good in 2024 with rodgers, there is a good chance this regime is extended

Jets79 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless there's a clear difference in caliber, trading up for the QB you want as opposed to taking the one who falls to you is a bad idea. Your judgment isn't any more likely to be correct than anyone else's.

REVISion, ouchy and Jets79 like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is what I’ve been saying all along. Great players DON’T take a long time to show GREAT. They just don’t.

QBs are hard to predict, but even as rookies if they don’t shine from the go, they at least show flashes. Games of great play.

That’s why I’ve been so fucking down on Zach. We are in year 3 already and he’s not had a SINGLE great game. Not a fucking one. And yet a few keep defending him…blaming OL, blaming MFL, blaming WRs, on and on and on. The problem is HIM. Shit, last nigh an undrafted guy threw for 400 yards and multiple TDs for the Bengals. Undrafted.

If Zach were going to be anything at all, we’d have seen it already. At least in flashes.

We’ve seen absolutely nothing.

Even the few remaining supporters gave up on him…

10. GasedAndConfused

the issue is you think people are defending him. nobody is. he was replaced and benched this offseason "meaning JD isn't defending him" saleh said he's going to sit and learn from rodgers not defending him. fans here including myself say he sucks which isn't defending him. but pointing out he's 1 issue on an offense with many issues is very fair and not defending him but you are taking it that way. he could suck but also be our best option and not the whole reason the offense sucks.

Browning looked pretty good last night for a 5th year player who's had years to get better and learn with no pressure but more importantly chase and to a lesser extend higgins was making plays for him. he has 3 really good WRs. 2 true WR1 one of which is a top 5. he also had a run game and an OC who made it easy on him. most of his plays were scripting people open and making easy throws quickly. he also had a solid run to keep him ahead of the sticks. only a few times was he asked to sit in the pocket, survey the field and make a choice. and when he did it was a pretty mixed bag. one of the biggest ones was at the end of the game higgins was wide open for a go ahead TD but he didn't see him. he had wide open WRs 15+ yards downfield pretty regularly and chose to check it down. If he was here, he would have been a disaster in our offense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Thinking we might be a few draft slots outside the top QBs, making it a clear difference in caliber, or maybe affecting ability to land one at all.
    You do what you have to in order to get a QB (provided you truly believe in that player and aren’t desperately reaching out of need of course).

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If there's a clear cut top 4, and we trade up to get the 4th guy, then that's okay. But if we're in position to get the 3rd guy and we trade up for the 2nd, that's dumb.

13. GasedAndConfused

rarely has the top QB drafted turned out the best.
    2023 stroud (2nd drafted)
    2022 purdy (9th QB drafted) shotout to howell (6th drafted) too
    2021 lawerence (1st)
    2020 very debatable. out of the top 5 4 all turned out great. burrow, herbert, tua, and hurts. you could make a case for any of them being the best of the draft really. love is also in there but gets an N/A. I'd pick herbert or burrow if I had to choose one
    2019 murray (1st)
    2018 allen (3rd) or jackson (5th) could make a case for either
    2017 mahomes (2nd)
    2016 prescott (8th) interesting because goff now looks good but was thought of as a bust and traded away for stafford and was 1st overall, wentz was the 2nd QB taken and was having an MVP like season, got hurt, his backup came in, won a SB and he's been bounced around. prescott has consistently performed and all for the team that drafted him so I gotta give it to him
    2015 not much came out of this. winston was 1st and debatable the best. simian was 7th and had a couple good years. mariator was 2nd. nothing good came out of this draft. i'll give it a NA
    2014 carr (4th)

so out of the last 10 drafts 1 draft produced nothing but shit (no right answer) 1 draft produced nothing but gold (no wrong answer) 2 drafts produced the top QB as the best of class and they are good. 6 times the best Qb wasn't the 1st one taken. 4 of those 6 it wasn't the 2nd one taken either.

every draft is different as you can see. taking a QB in 2020 was basically a guarantee while 2015 was all trash. 2021 was no winning unless you had 1st overall. 2022 all the top QBs sucked but 2 late rounder ones have been good. purdy is 100% legit, howell has been a good value pick but still not sold on him as a starter. he's at leats a backup though, needs better tools around him.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Nobody is a pretty definitive term. Even if you aren't defending him like so many, including me, think you are, I'll take your word for it. But there are a lot of people who are absolutely defending him. Flat out. I don't know if you're on Facebook, but there's dozens, hundreds of people that are defending him in multiple fan groups. Maybe not as many on here, there is definitely much higher level football IQ here than there is on social media.

But he absolutely has his defenders.

15. GasedAndConfused

I mean maybe someone out there in the world is, but I haven't seen anyone here defend him at least which is what i meant by it. thought that was pretty clear I was talking about this forum and not the world

edit: I don't do facebook btw. I read reddit though and even in the jets reddit I haven't seen anyone defend him. it's just the same here, people accusing others of defending because they are being reasonable and not saying he should die in a fire. I have seen fans of other teams defend him because we are a dysfunctional franchises but even then it's far and few between and it's usually fans of teams with shitty QB histories as well. I've seen many bears fans on the NFL reddit say they'd rather have zach then fields and that we fucked him up and fields is trash but then they have their own "fields truthers" most large fan groups are a hivemind when they get together because anyone who doesn't join the hivemind gets attacked by the hivemind and either leaves or converts and it becomes an echo chamber.

The_Darksider likes this.
  16. The_Darksider

You can assume it was clear, but you could've added the word "here" and it would've been much more clear.

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Doesn’t a team with a 40yr old qb, that they are lucky if they get 2 years out of…. Almost have to pick a qb in a draft like this ?

Ralebird likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

lol I could have but why do you have to take everything so literally ;)

The_Darksider likes this.
  19. The_Darksider

Facebook is a whole shitshow unto itself.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

which is why i never used it. or myspace