Should the Jets draft a QB in the 1st round next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Dec 3, 2023.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

OL/ WR seem like the obvious answers if they want to compete next year, but if "the guy" falls into their lap then they need to pull the trigger

TwoHeadedMonster and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would but I think how likely it is depends on how the rest of this year shakes out.

If we lose out and finish 4-13, I think there's a very strong chance at that point Woody would be ok with cleaning house. With a fresh slate at GM, HC, etc. we could either take one of Caleb Williams or Drake Maye in the Top 3 (if 4-13 gets you there) or trade down and take Daniels or Penix a bit later in the 1st round. Let one of those guys sit behind Rodgers for 1-2 years and let them develop at their own pace and take over when Rodgers is ready to walk away.

We're talking about the Jets though. Most likely scenario is they somehow find a way to beat the Commanders and the Pats. Woody, JD, Saleh, etc. will sell everyone on ending the streak against the Pats and "finding a way to win 6 games without ARod" and that they were only 3-4 wins away from making the playoffs. They'll get another year, probably draft a safety or IDL in the 1st round because they're BPA and we'll get to watch another inept offense next season except with Rodgers under center.

3. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

This is the most likely scenario as the Jets will always bottom out and fuck themselves over.

The thing is with the Jets, whenever you THINK you've hit rock bottom, the floor crumbles out from underneath them and they manage to go lower.

The_Darksider and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say that first round is a must. 2-4 rounds they should find somebody. Sit them down and learn.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

unfortunately barring a trade down, they dont have a 2nd round pick

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just to touch on the cleaning house comment you made. Rex Ryan was just on his local slot with espn radio and said there is no chance this regime lasts if they go 4-13. If anyone knows how reactionary woody is inside that building it’s him, he worked for the team.

mezzavo, Ralebird and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

We need to draft a QB. We have to assume 2024 will be at least mildly better than this season. Rodgers will probably last a lot longer into the season with adequate QB play. That means in 2025 we’ll be around mid 1st round to draft. This year we’re going to have a top 5 pick and there’s really solid prospects. Drafting now means he absolutely sits behind Rodgers and gets a year to learn under a HoF QB. When we miss the playoffs and Rodgers retires and JD/Saleh get fired we will have a top tier young QB in place to pair with an offensive minded HC of our choice at that point.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is just wishful thinking though, Rex wants the job. He says something like this to catch Woody’s attention.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've been willing to give JD and Saleh the benefit of the doubt on this season after losing Rodgers but if you go from 4-3 to 4-13, heads should roll. No one should be safe at that point.

Rodgers be damned but you just have to blow it up and hope he understands. I'd throw the bag at Ben Johnson (OC from Detroit) as your next HC and tell him that we'll draft him another QB in this year's draft. Surely Aaron would love to play for a guy who is that creative on the offensive side of the ball for his last 1-2 years and then Ben's got his own guy waiting in this wings that's slowly been learning the playbook and getting up to speed.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In all fairness, the only other QB people wanted was Fields, and while he wasn't amazing, he is drastically better and it is not even close, even though the situation around him on offense is also not great. But the point is that JD just hasn't proven he can do it and even the 4th round pick Morgan he had had underperformed to the point he is a 3d stringer now in some football League no one has ever heard of. I mean JD can stumble onto a good QB like a blind squirrel on a nut, but I think the guy may be just burnt out at this point given the number of blunders he had this year.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

No, unless Douglas and Saleh are fired and there is a new regime in place.

12. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Absolutely not in the first round. We have such bad luck and need so much. Do you really want this FO picking another QB?
    Trade back for extra pics and fix the line and get a receiver.
    Pick a qb in the 3rd or later. A project that can sit behind AR. Enough of this blowing 1st round picks on QB’s that we are forced to watch fail and he plays no matter what because the FO is covering themselves

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For once the Jets would have the opportunity to keep the young QB on the bench without pressure to
    play them.

In most scenarios we absolutely shouldn’t take a QB, but this is a very unique class of QB prospects that have all played a ton of football. 3/4 of the top prospects all have 3+ years of high level starting experience. That’s very rare.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The only way I would even think about using our first round pick on a QB is if we could get at least a first round pick for Rodgers.

ouchy likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When Rodgers went on the punter show this summer and announced he was going to the Jets he started his rambling explanation with... "well when the Packers drafted Jordan Love...."

clearly the break up there all stemmed from that and he's not going to let the Jets do the same thing.

I suspect Rodgers will threaten to retire if they take a QB in the first round, and Woody Johnson will not want that to happen, he will direct the GM to draft another position.

Cman68, Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If Woody had any stones, he'd call his bluff.

If we're in a position to draft Williams or Maye, you have to do it IMO. Doesn't matter who we have at GM, HC, QB, etc. Those guys are elite QB prospects and we've seen what those kind of picks can do for franchises.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But not this franchise.

The_Darksider and KY Jets Fan like this.
  18. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i would only draft one if they end up with a top 2 pick, they wont. If they end up with a top 2 pick, then we know everyone needs to go and the process is simple.

This reminds me of the Zach Wilson draft. Had the Jets won 2 more games and didn't have a top 2 pick, they aren't drafting a QB and prob keeping Sam.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh maybe you’re right but I think it’s way different given he was 36 when they took Love coming off a 13-3 season and he’s 40 now and has pretty much alluded to only playing two years here before retiring.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I can totally understand why you think this way but I disagree with it.

The quickest way to turn any franchise around is to hit on drafting a QB. The moment we stop actively trying to find a true Franchise QB is the moment we've officially lost as a franchise.

Would drafting the next Wilson, Darnold, Hackenburg, Geno, Sanchez, suck? Of course but drafting the next Burrow, Lawrence, Stroud, etc. would also set this franchise up for success for the next 2 decades. It's why I don't even fault JD that much for drafting Zach in 2021. He was viewed as the 2nd best QB prospect by most in the draft community. Now we can say that clearly Zach was/is a bust, which sucks, but most QBs bust.

All it takes is 1 guy and until we have that guy, I'll never fault any of our GMs for trying to get that guy.

HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.