Should JD pursue Clowney if price is 14m a year? (Signs with Titans)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Clowney for 14m a year?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Clowney doesn't fire his agent, who probably told him to hold out and he can get $20m per EASILY. Now they're sitting there hoping for camp cuts/injuries just to get an offer. That $17m per thhe turned down from Seattle and Miami is probably looking pretty good right about now.

2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Really think that him and logan ryan will enter the league a lot closer to league 1, and they wont be paid what they want.

Sucks for them as they played a business game in a messed up year.

I get peoples ppv that he is looking for a mo wilk out and just be a shadow of a player that he could be because he's been paid.

Theres not much out there about his agent peddling his super health etc, so something is not right with this situation.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Not sure why he held steadfast on a dollar amount when it was clear the market wasn't available. do you want to play at this point? He's injury prone and the sack numbers don't come with him. Woof

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand wanting to get paid what he's worth and not accept a deal at a cut rate, but he and/or his agent misjudged the climate/economy. If he really wanted to play, he would have already accepted a cheaper one-year deal. He has a reputation of taking some plays off and dogging it, and imo just isn't the type of player we want here. If it were up to me, I wouldn't pay someone top dollar who isn't a QB or an elite edge rusher, I don't care how good he is against the run. I sure wouldn't pay top dollar to a guy who takes plays off/dogs it and who doesn't give 100% on every play. He should be a great pass rusher as well. I think he's one of those guys like Antonio Cromartie who is lazy and doesn't want to work hard to be the best he can be. He's not driven to be the best. He's content to try to get by on his natural ability, be good enough to be considered a very good or maybe great player so that he gets paid a lot. It's a shame. I thought he was going to be another LT. In terms of being a pass rusher, he's closer to Gholston than he is LT.

5. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said, but comparing him to gholston is an insult. Gholston wasn’t even a nfl caliber player... That’s why he was jets arguably biggest high 1st round pick BUSY in their history. Clowney is generational talent, but maybe as committed as should. Cromartie comparison may be right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Sack exchange

That said, gholston only made the team because he was high pick, I am sure they wanted to cut him after 1st practice... lol

blackssmagic and barfolomew like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I meant it as an insult. Anyone who is as talented as he is and coasts or dogs it deserves insulting imo. Yes, Gholston was one of, if not the biggest Bust in Jets' history. It may not have been fair to make that comparison, but I stand by it. Solely in terms of being a pass rusher, he is closer to Gholston than Lawrence Taylor. The difference is that Clowney is great vs the run and he makes big plays, and occasionally gets a sack. I don't think Gholston even came within sniffing distance of a sack.

barfolomew and Donttasemebro like this.
  8. Sack exchange

It’s all good. You are certainly right gholston was GHOST-on on the field. Never knew he was on the field. Like playing 11 on. 10. Lol. I do agree Clowney has to potential as edge, but maybe not living up to it. But if healthy, he is difference maker. He is no LT, gasteneau, or, Abraham.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

In a word, no.

K'OB likes this.
  10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

With no OTA, minicamps, rookie camps heck even gyms have been shut down throughout the pandemic I think injuries were to be expected. JMO

There's a lot of positive press out there now.

Clowney is no sure thing but I think he still has upside it's possible he hasn't played his best ball yet. I'd do it because of Gregg Williams he might be able to bring it out of him.

Eventually he'll sign with someone Buffalo or New England or ...

Why not here?

#150 WarriorRB28, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

It's just not worth it. What does he change? How many more wins you think we get with him on the team? He's not the pure rusher we need and our run d is fine without him.
    This year will live and die with Darnold and the offense making a jump

#151 Jedi mind tricks, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    barfolomew, cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If it works he could be the pure pass rusher the Jets haven't had since they traded away Abraham. He could change the Jets defense.

And if the reports about how improved Quinnen Williams is in 2020 are accurate the pass rush could be phenomenal.

And there's a chance it won't work. He's been injury prone and so far a career underachiever.

He's also 27 in his prime and it's not like he's played awe inspiring football to date. His best years could still be ahead.

Sometimes you have to take a chance.

The AFC East is wide open they have to be aggressive I think.

I wouldn't do a one year deal with him. Two years just in case he breaks out playing for Gregg Williams.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this is when a front office needs a psychologist on the staff. Will Clowney be that much more motivated?

i don't see the Jets biting on this

If Clowney were smart he would go someplace on a 1 year prove it deal and to chase a ring

barfolomew likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-sending-all-out-blitz-to-sign-free-agent-de-jadeveon-clowney

Saints sending 'all-out blitz' to sign free-agent DE Jadeveon Clowney
    Published: Sep 03, 2020 at 07:41 PM

[​IMG]

Around the NFL Staff
    nfl.com

Jadeveon Clowney's free-agent saga is nearing a close,

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero report that Clowney has spoken multiple times to Saints coach Sean Payton about playing in New Orleans. With multiple teams interested in the Pro Bowl defensive end, including the Tennessee Titans and Seattle Seahawks, the Saints are sending an 'all-out blitz' for Clowney's services.

In an effort to get Clowney in New Orleans, sources tell NFL Network's Mike Garafolo that the Saints have been been inquiring with current players on the roster about restructuring some deals. The NFLPA currently has the Saints at $7 million available in cap space.

Clowney would be an intriguing fit in New Orleans by teaming up with Cameron Jordan on the defensive line, not to mention joining a Super Bowl contender.

Clowney's decision will have to be soon if he plans to play on Week 1, as he will need clear the current COVID-19 protocols.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100 - he has had nowhere near the career I thought he would have ( as a pass rusher)

barfolomew likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Saints make perfect sense. Their window is damn near closed, they have to go all out. They are the type of team that might be a Clowney away from contending.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Sept. 4: still no.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He really fucked himself. I never ever wish injuries on anyone and I'm not doing so - I just think he's bound to have an injury plagued season. No camp on top of no OTA's, organized workouts, etc.

The Saints should hold him out for a month and let him work back into football shape. If they don't I'll be shocked if he doesn't instantly pull a hamstring or a sprain an ankle in the first couple games.

K'OB and J-Raw24 like this.
  19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't believe for a second that "multiple teams [are] interested in the Pro Bowl defensive end" - if they were he would have signed long ago, or his asking price is so monumentally ridiculous that no one is interested in him at his absurd self-determined price. Football players as a group really seem to have trouble with the concept of a hard cap, and why unlike their NBA brethren they rarely set their own price.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well technically multiple teams are after him. The Titans and Saints both confirmed it. But yea there’s no way there was a huge bidding war for this guy at any point. His phone probably barely rang the last few weeks.