Should JD pursue Clowney if price is 14m a year? (Signs with Titans)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Clowney for 14m a year?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
  1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

There is some truth to this, which is why they should sign Clowney. There have been off-seasons where the Jets have tons of cap room and still miss out on top free agents as they aren't seen as an attractive option. They are then left to settle for vastly overpaying second tier players or worse keeping unused cap space. Cap space doesn't help you on the field.

I say sign Clowney to whatever deal it takes. Most of these deals are structured so the teams can move on after year 2 anyways, and contracts can always be restructured to get under the cap.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d sign Clowney to a 3 year deal in a heartbeat, depending on the cost of course. He still has upside as a pass rusher and is a fantastic run defender.

Bottom line he is a huge upgrade as is with potential to solve a glaring decade long need.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Anything more than 10/year and I'll pass. I rather save some of that money and see what passrushers are available next season (Yannick comes to mind)

4. UK jet

UK jet Member

Yea sign him 30 mil over 2 years
    That's a good deal all round as people have said it won't hurt the cap too much now we're not paying Adams and Bell will be gone next season
    Will also keep Greg Williams happy

5. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If it was 2 years for $30M fully guaranteed, with some incentives, I wonder if he'd take it?

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No to Clowney but yes to Yannick Ngakoue. That is who Douglas should trade for.

IDFjet likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

bosa just got a huge deal. 5 year 135 million (27 mil a year) I doubt clowney will take a cheap deal. he's probably still looking in the 20mil or so range. if he takes a discount deal it'll be a 1 year deal so he can try to land a big contract next year. or he can be a dick sign a 1 year deal then opt out. Not sure if he even plays this year at this pace but once injuries and covid pops up someone will sign him for the season if he wants to play. for us we aren't competing, a 1 year deal is pointless so we either go all in on him or not. we have a ton of premium picks the next 2 years thanks to JD (4 1sts, 2 2nds, 3 3rds) to fill the holes we have at WR, Edge, and CB. he rebuilt the o-line pretty good too but we could still draft another one if we wanted since we have the luxury of extra picks. the jets are good at TE, RB, d-line, and ILB. we could overhaul this team and with the cap room saved pay darnold, keep maye and bring in some cheaper free agents that offer more value then clowney. that's what I would do personally. no point in brining in clowney now

8. GasedAndConfused

why pay a guy 15 mil a year for a team that is 2 years away form making the playoffs and competing? all it does is waste money and give us a worse pick if he plays well. I get that we still need to field a "good product" but we also need to be smart. the jets are looking like a decent team. we have a tough scheudle. i'd guess 6 wins but with covid who the fuck knows.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This isn't the NBA. Very few NFL players have the luxury of picking and choosing where they want to go while willingly taking less money.

They go to whichever team gives them the most money. Former superstars at the end of their career might take less to go to a SB contenders ala Reggie Wayne when he signed with the Patriots. But it's not like second contract players are all hoarding to certain teams. There's a reason us and the Browns always sign players to ridiculous contracts like Austin Hooper took and Mosely/Bell/Revis PT II here.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the AFC East is wide open. The Patriots lost Brady and have had many players opt out, Miami is still really young, and the most overrated team in the NFL is the Buffalo Bills. People just handing them the division is ridiculous, so if the Jets want to compete and try to win the East, signing Clowney makes sense. People also talk about playing the NFC West as a reason the Jets won't make the playoffs, but the Bills, Patriots and Dolphins play them too. That is no excuse. You could win the AFC East at (9-7) or (10-6) this year. The Jets should be looking to add talent and strive for that. They may feel that Clowney is not worth that price, like I do, but they should be looking to add other players at least.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

The worry with Clowney is the reason that he's un-signed. Given all of his talent and physical gifts, he should be dominating the league like Aaron Donald. His OK career where he's only played 16 games once and has never eclipsed 10 sacks shows a complacent player. Imagine how much more complacent he'd be with a long term deal? Especially when you look at how his college career went.

I'd be in on Clowney at two years. He hasn't been signed because he's not content with that and no one wants to give him 5 years/$125 million like Bosa just got (I think he got $135?), and that's the deal he thinks he's worth.

apjbfc and FJF like this.
  12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I say give him one year deal with option. Pats, no Brady, and key players opting out. Bills beatable, dolphins not good. We have not had player like him since Abraham. He can wreck havoc, and that is what a jet d has lacked for yrs. and there his reasonable chance at playoffs. Of it works out sign him long term if not move on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rammagen likes this.
  13. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I would sign him to a series of 1 yr deals with outs in them if we are scared of making a long term commitment. Anything can be bargained. But there really is no downside to sign to signing him. Did I actually read here that what if he plays so well we get a worse draft choice....the idea is to win games not loose them. One of the strangest comments/reason I have ever read for not signing a player

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Everyone wants to do these things. He'd be signed if he was willing to do it.

15. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I used to share your same line of thinking until I saw the Jordan documentary series. When the best athlete to have ever lived stresses the importance of establishing a winning culture, it being essential to eventually contending for titles, it says a lot. You can’t expect to draft a few players and then sign some FAs to cap it off to a 13-3 season. Your roster is still full of 40+ other players that need to establish an identity to win, and not just go through the motions to collect a paycheck.

If we signed Clowney, it would not only help that, but a better record can lead to future free agents being more likely to sign with us, rather than seeing us as perennial bottom feeders.

16. GasedAndConfused

I get that viewpoint. with opt outs and our division not being very strong we do have a legit chance to win it despite out lack and some positions (CB, edge, and WR mostly) but do you think if we make the playoffs we have a shot against the likes of pitt, indy, hou, KC, Balt? even with clowney? If you think we do and if JD thinks we do by all means go for it. i'd just hate to sign clowney for 2 years and it makes us lose good players 2 years from now. the cap is going to go down not up. darnold needs to get paid soon. leftover cap rolls over. we could use the leftover cap not spent on clowney next year to keep maye and resign darnold.

It's very like in 2 years mosely, bell, williamson are gone. that's a lot to replace. we need to upgrade CB, EDGE, and WR badly. we have a ton of picks thankfully but the cap is going to be hard. If it wasn't for covid I would sign clowney but with the cap reduction I don't think it's worth it

17. GasedAndConfused

It's a valid point. I was on board for clowney the whole offseason personally. just with covid and the cap going down I think we are better off long term without him then we are shortterm with him.

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Given that he has the ability to take over games I'd say yes for one season. After that, if it worked out for both parties, then do it again.

rammagen likes this.
  19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I was thinking, I would rather want Clowney over Adams.... and I am big fan of Adams... Clowney gives more value at much valued position that quite frankly we have been horrible at. Now that Adams gone, why not give it a go and sign Clowney short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rammagen likes this.
  20. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

true but maybe not if the money wasn't right i think the deal breaker for the player would be the out clause and the amount of due him if released. everyone signs for the bonus because that is upfront and prorated.