Should anyone ELSE besides McCariens be cut???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Sep 17, 2007.

1. rillo

rillo New Member

What?! No way the cap hit will be WAY to big....also give the guy a chance he played pretty good yesterday considering IMO....Kellen was holding the ball WAY to long in the first half...we can't cut any of the CB's because of health issues, McCareins needs to go in my book....

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The proof in the pudding is our most hated rivals up in NE. Look at Richard Seymour... when he came into the league, he was pretty good, but no more. However, when the Patsies drafted Vince Wilfork and moved Seymour out to end, Seymour became an absolute MONSTER.

Robertson is... for lack of a better word, soft at his position. Who knows, maybe if we were to acquire a massive NT like Wilfork and move Robertson to end, maybe he too could explode into a great player. But where he is now, he is just OK. And in a 3-4, you can't have an OK NT. You need a mammoth who is going to engulf the entire interior of the opposing teams offensive line, ala Jamaal Williams.

Robertson is not our solution at NT. Our entire defense will continue to suffer as long as he is relied upon to be something that he is not.

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

robertson is better at DT than ferguson is at LT. ill say that whole heartedly. but I'll give Ferguson more time before I jump on the bust train.

i knew before we drafted him he couldnt run block and would get overpowered though. so im moreso counting on him to prove me wrong. so far. im right.

4. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Nobody is going to be cut, people. And the only one who should be cut is McCarieins anyway. And since he won't be, there really isn't anything else to discuss here.

It's only week 2. There is a long way to, and it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to start overhauling the roster or coaching staff at this point.

I swear, 0-2 brings out the insanity in some people.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Players on the cutting board if I had my way (and why they can't be cut if so):

Justin McCareins is the man of the hour. His bad hands cost us a real chance at a win in Baltimore. No reason he can't be cut.

Brandon Moore. This move just has not worked out. Does he show flashes from time to time? Sure. Is he a hole from time to time? Definitely. An NFL guard has to be good and consistent and Moore is neither. He can't be cut though, the Jets depth at offensive line will not allow it.

Adrien Clarke. A backup. That's his spot on the roster. If the choice is between starting him and cutting him 9 out of 10 NFL teams get out the scissors. He can't be cut though, the Jets depth at offensive line will not allow it.

Victor Hobson. What does this guy do again to justify his spot? And yes I know he had some impact last year as part of a 6 and 7 man rush package. Sorry, anybody could have some impact if they only went on the maximum blitzes. He can't contribute individually to this defense in any meaningful way. Hobson is the single player most responsible for the lack of impact by the Jets defense because he never does anything impactful. When was the last time he caught a runningback 2 yards deep in the backfield or forced a fumble?

Now off the cutting board to the magical island of Misfit Toys. These are the guys you don't cut but you do need to either reposition them or trade them because they're really not an asset at the moment.

Dewayne Robertson. This guy is not a good NT, period. He gets penetration now and then and can blow up a play in the backfield but too often there are multiple blockers out on the linebackers. His style of play has always been to slice and attack, exploiting the gaps and relying on quickness against slower interior linemen. That's not what a nose tackle does. A nose tackle maintains both gaps in front of him and allows the interior linebackers to make the tackles. That's why nose tackles actual number of tackles is low. D-Rob has maintained 4-3 tackle-like tackle numbers at the expense of the guys getting pushed around behind him. He also cannot pass rush effectively in the interior, rarely causing a bulge in the center of the pocket.

Jonathan Vilma. This is just a no-brainer at this point. Vilma does not fit in the center of a 3-4. If you can't move him for acceptable value then put him in Hobson's slot and assign him to handling the backs releasing from the backfield on passing plays. He's certainly faster than Hobson by a lot and would make the blitzes form that side more effective. No, he doesn't have ideal size for a 3-4 OLB but he's not effective as 3-4 ILB either. The Jet's linebackers right now should probably be from left to right: Thomas (strongside linebacker), Harris, Barton, Vilma (weakside linebacker.)

Chad Pennington. A west coast QB needs a smooth efficient offensive line to work with. He has to be able to rely on all the traps, screens and rollouts being efficiently blocked because one bad play can blow up a drive when you need 12-15 plays to score a TD. The Jets offensive line last year was barely up to this standard and Chad had his worst year as a starter, rolling over and dying 4 times (Jacksonville, Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo) when his personnel just did not match up well and he had a terrible game. This year the line is well below the standard and Chad is going to be a nonfactor against half the much tougher schedule. Put him on a team with a good line and you'd get 9 to 11 wins and the playoffs. If he starts the last 14 here we'll be very fortunate to win 8 games, maybe worse. The horses just aren't there and when your QB is a coachman he absolutely must have horses to get anywhere.

6. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

DAVID BARRETT.. Trade him for some silly string and a box of cracker jacks...

7. Br4d

David Barrett made 10 tackles and defensed 2 passes yesterday. He had one tackle in the backfield on the Ravens 4th drive that contributed heavily to them not scoring on that drive. The guy that he was covering for most of the day was Demetrius Williams who wound up with 1 catch for 13 yards. Both of the defensed passes that Barrett contributed were on deep passes to the left sideline with Williams as the target.

Matched up against that was one lousy handoff from the linebackers to Barrett on Todd Heap that went for 25 yards. Really a safety is supposed to pick up the tightend on the release but Barrett wound up chasing him instead and got close enough to commit a pass interference penalty at the end. That was not his guy. He was covering for whichever safety was supposed to pick up the tightend on a deep release.

Really people need to give Barrett more of a break. He's a decent second CB who despite having no pass rush to support him did a pretty good job of holding up his end yesterday.

#27 Br4d, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

thank you. i feel liek im the only 1 defending him

9. Br4d

He actually made 10 tackles yesterday. The point still stands.

He's not the problem unless a #1 receiver is opposite him.

10. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

to talk about cutting the guy is idiotic IMO

11. ........

........ Trolls

To talk about cutting anyone right now is idiotic.

Am I pissed about McCareins? Hell yeah. Should he be the 3rd receiver? Hell no. Should he be cut before the end of the season? Not a chance. If I remember correctly, a large part of his contract is guaranteed. Several fans yesterday were asking whether, if we cut McCareins, Reche Caldwell is still available. RECHE CALDWELL. This guy dropped several balls in key situations during a PLAYOFF game last season. There is nothing better than McCareins available right now and Stuckey is injured. See if you can trade the guy now or in the offseason (unlikely), but you can't cut him.

Robertson should have been traded in the OS...Ferguson blew 2 plays, one of which was questionable. He just gets blamed for EVERYTHING that's wrong with the OL because he's a high pick. Why don't we just cut Revis because Barrett blew his coverage? That's the same thing. Speaking of which, Barrett isn't a #1 CB, but we know that. He's average as a backup.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Lets cut players on a game to game basis , play bad and get your coat.

13. Ten

Ten Active Member

Everyone in this thread should be beaten severely with baseball bats,it's a crime that no one has mentioned Anthony Clement who is way way worse than D'Brick.Clement is the worst starter on this team.

14. woodall's clipboard

woodall's clipboard New Member

Lets not forget the in-over-his-head Coach who tried to come up with excuses why his team got whacked last week, but has none this week. If Idiot Billick doesn't throw two passes on Balt's last possession, the Jets never even get the opportunity to try and win. The emperoer may have lost some weight, but he still doesn't have any clothes.

15. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Jets to cut.....hmmmm

J Mac
    Fatboy Robertson (Waste of 3rd Overall Pick)
    ALL Offensive lineman except Mangold, D'Brick and Moore (They need a little more time)

16. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

i didnt know facts were excuse but ok.

The only thing here that made sense and i agree with is that Billick only ran 25 seonds off the clock with like 3 min left. That was poor on his part.

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I will go further, anyone watching the Ravens game and calls DBrick a bust based on yesterday :

1.) Did not watch the game.

2.) Did not watch him.

3.) Is an idiot.

Flame away, I do not care. If you are going to call him a bust based on yesterday, I think your opinion is absolutely garbage and not worth hearing. He was more than adequate yesterday. Maybe just maybe when there is a competent LG he may look 50 times better. Jesus christ he had to cover for the turnstyle Clarke 10 times at least yesterday.

18. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

say what you want ive hated Barrett since he was exposed for what he is back in KC. He's a liability. And 2 passes defended? How many times did mason and any other Ravens player burn him? Put that stat up then we'll talk.

19. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

any1 got numbers on ravens receiving yards and receptions.

because the 2 play i remember was no1 covering Mcgahee for a TD and Heap making an incredible catch in the endzone which i dont know if Barrett was covering him, but any1 covering him wouldnt have been able to stop that. Nothing else i saw really hurt them that bad