Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

A close friend (and father of 4) posted his belief that there should be armed law enforcement in every school. I should mention he is also a deputy sherriff in my county. Before today, I might have agreed as far as high schools go, but an elementary school? It was unthinkable, a silly notion, because this could never happen. Now....

I have 2 little nephews around that age, and...I can't even allow myself to imagine. This is the worst thing, truly worth being called an atrocity in historical terms. Johnny, I don't know what to say, but the obvious, hug them and don't let go, and hope the day will come when everybody feels safe again.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The victims are aged between my twins and my 1st grader and used to play in teh same parks as my kids. Wwent to the ice cream shop with my kids. Picked up teire pizzas from trh same place on Friday night. I cannot remmeber ever being so distraught. 9/11 included. Im so so so saddened by this....Ive cried all afternoon.

3. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Horrible, horrible tragedy. Pray for the victims.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I certainly think that should be the case. at least one Police officer from the local force should be on duty every day at all schools.

5. Itsjustme

Itsjustme Member

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families...

I cannot even put my feelings into words. I have a 3 year old niece, who will start pre-scholl next year. I can't imagine...how? why? They were babies...

May they all rest in peace.

6. VanderbiltJets

There have been a lot of conflicting reports that I've compiled to clarify details for anyone interested. Also this all really sucks for the Ryan Lanza (not sure if he was THE Ryan Lanza) who was identified on Fox News and CNN, I couldn't imagine being falsely labeled a child killer. Terrible tragedy all around today, I'm praying for the entire town of Newtown.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If he wasn't involved he lost his whole family today. What a horrible thing.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Adam is the younger brother...Forgot to mention that...This guy Ryan left work with the Police confusing the bros while the young one killed

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

we have all seen horrible things happen during our lives,but this is different. How someone can have the capability to do what this bastard did today,i don't even know what to say. Real evil is all i can think of.

10. typeOnegative13NY

all the schools in horry county sc have an armed officer on the grounds. most of the time not too far from the fron t door. And i can tell you over the last 3 years we have had multiple incidents and they are what stopped it. we had one kid do a suicide by cop in carolina forest. another in socastee try to pull off a columbine and got stopped. every school should be locked from the inside,and out taxes can be spent better by employing ex cops,or cops in disability to watch over our kids. sad reality,but it needs to be done. there are monsters out there

11. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Mental illness is a hell of a drug. i'm not trying to make light of this situation at all, i'm being very serious. Unsuppressed anger mixed with clinical depression will eventually let itself out in extreme rage. This kid more than likley hated his mom, got fed up with her shit, and with mental illness exacerbating his feelings, thought that this was the appropriate action to take.

it's a fucking shame, it really is. Alienation is real, the structure of capitalism needs revision. when capitalism doesn't work, and the economy sucks, this is what happens. Read Marx people, he wasn't far from the truth.

12. VanderbiltJets

Drudge's headline "*Both parents of gunman found dead at separate locations..." is actually incorrect, their source for that link reads:

A source close to the investigation said the shooter's father, who lives in Stamford, Conn., is meeting with FBI agents.

ABC News: She was an aide, not a teacher, at the school.

#92 VanderbiltJets, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  13. typeOnegative13NY

i agree,but it takes more than that to murder multiple little children. this is beyond mental illness imo

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I never said we prioritize guns over children. Someone else on this thread made that statement.

I did say we need rational gun control measures to make incidents like this one less likely to occur. Nobody needs automatic weapons or magazines that fire dozens of shots in a few seconds to defend themselves. Can't we start there and stop this NRA BS nonsense about a slippery slope or that once we make certain guns illegal the government will "take away all of our guns?" Why can't we make it harder to buy guns? Why not require a license and registration with a more extensive background check? Why can't we have a rigorous licensing process for gun sellers so Joe Schmoe can't sell people guns from the trunk of his car at a flea market? The point is that we don't ever even have these discussions and now, with this horrific event that took the loss of innocent babies, is the time to have those discussions, finally.

15. typeOnegative13NY

16. VanderbiltJets

#96 VanderbiltJets, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  17. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

this is WAY beyond mental illness IMO, hence the reference to Marx. What needs to be examined, is what is happening in society that is causing people to lose COMPLETE hope in their lives?

I'm a sociology major, i'm fascinated by subjective cases such as this, because they also speak on an objective level.

Emile Durkheim had a theory on suicide, since, afterall, this was not only a murder, but a suicide. His theory based around his concept of "Anomie", Put simply, and for the sake of this discussion, he pretty much came to the conclusion that people commit suicide because they are either:

1. overly regulated by the constrains of the nature of capitalism in society

2. not adequately integrated into the social fabric of society.

in many cases of suicide, characteristics of both are present.

the question now is, what caused this kid to be overly regulated? was it his mom, like how i think it may be? and, What caused this kid to be not well integrated in society? was it bc of autism? or aspergers? which im sure people made fun of him for? or was it another underlying mental concern, such as idk, schizophrenia or depression.

All in all, when you add it all up, you get what we have gotten here today, and its completely awful.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

That's fine, and I think it is a great idea ,but.....

I hate to politicize this, but this will be a local town issue. Think about what it will cost to increase police forces in every town to place an officer on the site of every school. Public funds will need to pay for that and every town's anti-tax contingent will oppose it.

19. VanderbiltJets

Bad economy, empowerment of technology, and graphical desensitization?

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How about we just trace back everybody involved in the chain with that .223 rifle and make them wear a flashing red sign for awhile that reads: "I contributed to the deaths of 20 schoolchildren by [whatever their role was in getting that gun into Lanza's hands]?"

We could make all the stockholders involved in those companies get a nice little red stamp on the back of their hand in hard to wash off ink that says the same thing.

The whole thing is rotten when 20 school children die and all we can come up with is "too bad that evil/crazy person found a gun somehow."