Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stugots, Sep 27, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Here's what I know:

I know that TJ's stats were nice last season, but he waited a few games before he decided to put forth what looked like a total effort.

I know that it looks like he's doing that again this season.

I know that we have a rookie RB who is known for hitting the hole aggressively, fights through initial contact, and falling forward for yards - instead of dancing around behind the LOS.

I know that if they start taking some carries away from TJ and give them to a rookie, TJ may respond by playing harder and, in essence, revitalizing the ground game and helping the entire offense work better.

I don't see too many drawbacks in giving some touches to Shonn Greene. But we need to actually see him get some touches before we can decide what we do and do not have in SG.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

That's the biggest reason why I'm pounding the table on Greene. Just the smell of someone else taking over will "revitalize" him, more like put a hand grenade under his ass.

3. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Look for Greene to get some carries this week going up against a high scoring Saints team. This week it's all about controling the clock.Jones needs to get meaningful yards or it's time to let the rookie carry the rock!Our defense along with a clock killing offense should get us another W !

4. HarveyTheJetFan

HarveyTheJetFan New Member

I don't understand why people are jumping the gun so fast. Thomas Jones has been our number 1 running back for around three years. The last thing he wants to do is give up a series during a minor slump he is having. He is a veteran and wants to show he can get over this struggle he has been having so far. Only way I see Greene coming in is if Thomas Jones gets injured, or the game is a complete blowout on either side. Jones is our man as of right now and so is Washington.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He sucked his first year and so far he sucks this year. He did well last year because people were scared to death of Favre. Something needs to change.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

No position should ever be a gimme. Sometimes just a little shakeup goes a long way. Change things up a bit. Tell Jones we drafted this guy and we need to break the ice a little bit. You never know, it could cause Jones to get back to a 3-4 YPC game. We're going to need it.

7. HarveyTheJetFan

Over 1000 yards on a new team new system is not terrible and that's not the only reason he did well lets be serious. Could of also been the new pick-up of Faneca and him trying his hardest on a new team. Farve was a factor but not the only factor.

8. Don

No, not terrible but he did nothing in the red zone. He had 1 TD for the year. Favre was the difference last year, they never stacked the box last year like they are doing now.

9. HarveyTheJetFan

That is due to the fact that Sanchez is a rookie, but now teams are seeing Sanchez can move and throw very well, pressure will decrease since Sanchez is earning his respect as a good QB and Jones will improve no doubt in my mind.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think you are right. I know they won't do it, but I would love the very first play from the line of scrimmage for the Jets O to be a play fake to Jones and have Leon lined up in the slot on a go route. Have Clowney and Cotch (or Stuckey) run the deep post, too. Let Sanchez air it out right out of the box. As long as there is no INT, it still would go a long way to loosening things up for the running game.

11. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

how can they say that greene is a bust.he ran for 100 yards or more against top teams in college.mark my words.the best is yet to come for shone greene.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Excellent observation, I like the people on this board but sometimes we act as if this is Madden football just throw a player in there customize his attributes to 99 and let him go, seriously people!!

13. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I think your looking at it wrong. Lets take a look at the ravens. Willis McGahee was supposed to be their number one back last year but had some injury problems and was ineffective. Rice and McClain (aka Leon and Greene) stepped in and gave some life to the running game. Now this year McGahee is tearing shit up to start the season. I think we could very well see that type of fire lit under TJ by playing Greene and still giving Leon his same amount of touches. This would mean taking touches away from TJ. TJ is also healthy so we should be able to see the benefits the move right away.

14. Don

Sure it is. Just saying that he isn't big enough, strong enough, whatever..to get yards up the middle where they always run him under the circumstances we are seeing now.

15. HarveyTheJetFan

I understand what you are saying however McClain did not take many carries away from Willis McClain was most of the time a goal line and third down back. And Ray Rice was named the #1 RB due to the fact of contract disagreements and the injuries Willis has suffered and suffering. I'm not saying Willis did not do better after Rice was getting more attempts I just saying I do not see the same outcome with Jones.

I'm sorry I don't see what your getting at by this.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

the best thing that TJ brings to the table is he will always give 100%... from the first carry of the game to the last. It looks as if he doesn't even get tired.

The bad thing is he isn't that good of player... when defenses are tired he goes for big gains (because they are tired and he is not)... but until then he averages 1yd a carry.

I would use late in the game when his stamina can be a factor... let Greene tire the D out... and while he is at it he can earn at least 3/4 yards instead of 1. 2&6 is much much better than 2&9

17. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

Shonn "Nuff" Green Is a beast. He could be the next Brandon Jacobs

18. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

They said Gholston could be the next LT, too. I am not trying to put out the fire, but he has to earn it on the field (and, I hope he does).

19. ........

........ Trolls

Leon can be quite effective in tiring out the defense as well. Use the NE style short passing game to get him the ball, run stretch plays, and force the D-linemen to leave the tacklebox to make plays. Run Greene and Jones up the gut, and that defense will be nice and softened up for the 4th quarter.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

:rofl::rofl::rofl: