Sean Payton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 11, 2022.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

A good QB on a rookie contract is the most valuable single asset a team can have by multiples. I think you have to take a shot at drafting young QBs if you think a guy will be even decent. If you hit on one, you have a 4-5 year window to win a Super Bowl before he gets really expensive. It's rare to hit on one, sure, but even getting a decent one is basically a golden ticket to consistent contention.

Jets79 and cval like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That was the model for winning in the previous decade. But plenty of teams, like our Jets, took that model and have found out that finding that great QB on a rookie contract is not easy and you are more likely to fail than succeed at it.

Teams are now moving towards letting others take that (mostly losing) effort while they stock up on good veteran QBs and piece around them. (Tampa Bay, Denver, Cleveland, LA Rams) ...

-
    even minnesota. They got a lot of shit for spending all that money on Cousins but I would trade situations with them in a NY minute as they got a real shot at coming through the NFC this year while we are staring at yet another last place finish

#82 BrowningNagle, Sep 14, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

If you look at what we have spent on drafting QBs over the last few years (basically from Sanchez to now) it is (in terms of picks and compensation for moving up):
    - three top 5 first round picks
    - six second round picks (2 QBs drafted and 4 given up to move up)

That sort of draft capital should translate (allowing for an average number of draft busts etc) into at least 5 long term starters which should include 2 or 3 stud players. Instead we currently have possibly 1 decent player where the jury is still out.

I would feel a lot happier trading for someone like Stafford or Wilson and getting a few good years out of them and taking a more developmental QB prospect in rounds 3 or 4 rather than gambling on landing a future star at the top of the first round when it seems pretty clear that it is never going to happen for us (unless you have a shot (without having to trade up) at someone that looks like a sure thing like Luck or Burrows where the risk seems reasonable to take).

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I do however think that Jimmy G looks bad and wouldn't give up anything to bring him in (or give him a long term contract)

5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Sean Payton would laugh at a phone call. He wants the Dallas job and will get it when it becomes available. Nothing new

SOJAZ, Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i dont know about the Dallas angle, but I agree that SP would have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE JETS

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yeah ..I am sobering up to a 180 turnaround from how I thought about getting Cousins

Only because Sam D busted and Zach can't even get on the Field! :/ And when he does how long will he last or stay uninjured?

OTOH What happened with B Favre ?? No luck there when The Jets got him here...FTMR what if we had kept Teddy Bridgewater as insurance with Darnold ?? Another possible better outcome

The Jets have to finally get lucky with a confluence of the following : A decent GM who drafts well, an experienced HC and a talented experienced NFL QB

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t think either of the approaches are wrong. Teams have to consistently throw darts at young quarterbacks at the top of the draft to try to find one. They also should be savvy enough to know when to trade down for a haul/stay put and when one of those guys are worth it.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets have drafted (excluding 2021/2022 here because we don’t know) two decent starters after the first round since David Harris in 2007. And we traded Demario Davis away to go be an All-Pro somewhere else while Marcus Maye decided he loves drunk driving too much to continue his NFL career.

We don’t really know what the future NFL approach is going to be because the league has never seen $50-$75 million quarterbacks. Herbert and Burrow should both approach the higher mark with the new NFL Sunday Ticket TV deal next year.

Jetfanmack likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This would be the AGT equivalent of a Golden Ticket...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For those who think we should offer Lamar whatever it takes to get him here, the Ravens apparently disagree.

As far as SP, he could come here, coach for one season plus one game, get run out of town by the fans, and STILL go on to coach the 'Boys.

11. NYJetsO12

It's been raised before I am sure

But what would it take to get Bill Cowher to coach the Jets????..other than the big NO he likes shooting the Bull with phil Sims on Sunday..sigh :/

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Pipe dreams

I doubt very much Lamar is going anywhere…they will tag him if they can’t sign an extension….before this last offseason I’d be more convinced but seeing how QBs moved this year I guess anything is possible…the Ravens are a well run team so I guess it’s possible that they set a ceiling and trade him for a huge haul…I just think they’ll get it done with him. Also, the Ravens created a whole new offense to fit him like a glove…I can’t imagine our coaches being savvy enough to do that and change their precious system

as for SP, I also think he wants the Dallas job so I don’t think there’s much of a chance he would consider the Jets…if anything, he’d pull a Kirk Cousins and use us as leverage but I see no future with him coaching the Jets. And why would he? No coach in their right mind would take the Jets job over the Cowboys job where you have that level of team and an owner who gets it way more than Woody does…for all his ego and meddling faults, Jones is a better owner than Woody.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Several ways to do it. Vikings only have a real shot at coming through the NFC because the NFC is trash. Not sure they'd be a top-7 team in the AFC.

Both ways of doing it have shown mixed results. The "veteran QB" route is usually more of a band-aid, but if the rest of your team is ready to compete, it can be smart. The biggest issue with the Jets is they have not been ready to compete in a while. I think the roster is at a point now where they can if they get better QB play.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Been away from the game too long to still be relevant. Cowher or Johnson or any other coach from back in the day pretty much are not options in 2023.

15. NYJetsO12

Let's do something different then for HC if we can't land a seasoned HC

Go the Brainiac Route: Miami has the Yale educated McDaniel and later this year he faces the Phillips Academy and Wesleyan educated Bellichek today

An Ivy League education usually (but not always) spells success ...look how long Fitzpatrick stuck around for example

#95 NYJetsO12, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik went to Dartmouth.

17. NYJetsO12

ahah ..True that and i did say not all the time

But he was a GM not HC and thats what I was really getting at ..xs and os guy versus buying the groceries

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The Lamar Jackson of today did impress like he has looked before, I was a bit kneejerk after last weeks game and people wanting to give him $300M but he was the Lamar he has been previously in todays game even if they did lose that was not on him.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Can you imagine if Garoppolo plays at an elite level this season? He'll go to the 49ers ownership and the end of the season and demand they make him the highest-paid QB in football and ship Lance to Detroit.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s time we go out and get an experienced world class coach. Give him the keys and let him turn this franchise around the way he did with the Saints. Do whatever it takes to get him here!

We have improved our talent tremendously the past 2 years but still getting the same results. Realistically we should be 0-3 and that’s just not good enough. Saleh isn’t a good head coach and his D gets torched every week.

It’s time we get some credibility around the league with a leader that has done it before period.