Seahawks - Frank Clark

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by footballfundamentals, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Frank Clark? Yeah, that's the answer. Smells like Super Bowl now.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We have massive needs throughout the roster, specifically on offense, where we just drafted the by far most important piece.

I agree that if they stay at 3 they will pretty much have to draft one of Allen or Bosa. However Jets would not be idiots to do everything in their power to move out of spot to try to address offense, while also adding more picks to address other needs.

It will also be far easier to address pass rush in FA than it will to get Darnold the pieces he needs to reach his maximum potential.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If Allen is sitting there at 3 I’d be hard pressed to pass that up just to get lesser offensive players.
    He’s got difference maker written all over him and that’s what you need to land with such a high pick.

FJF likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There are some good offensive pieces that could be had in FA.
    Get Bell, get Oline help, and get a WR like Tate.
    In the draft you can’t pass up an impactful player for volume (unless it’s a lot of quality volume).

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you get a great deal then yes you should take it to move back. But I’m not passing on Bosa or Allen unless we’re getting a great deal.

FJF likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

I actually was pretty meh on Allen until recently. I saw a lot of Coples in him but his motor is what’s making me think he’ll be every bit the pass rusher he projects to be. I worry about his size a little bit (needs to bulk up IMO) but not enough to pass on him at 3 unless like I said above, we are getting a bunch of picks including a first next year.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, not under any circumstances. The Jets have a TON of holes and need a major infusion of talent and speed. Any extra picks that we get from trading down will just enable us to further upgrade the roster. Why should we burn a draft pick or picks for a player that might be a one-year wonder, especially when this draft is very strong and deep in pass rushers?

You're right that there are no guarantees in the draft, especially with Mac drafting, but there are also no guarantees with FAs. It's not infrequent that FAs sign big contracts after a big year, and then are just "meh" with their new team. Some of them also get injured with their new team. The reality is that there are no guarantees, period.

The 2020 draft could be even more important this this one. It is supposedly stacked with excellent OT prospects and other OL prospects, RBs and WRs. Why wouldn't we want to use every pick possible in finishing fixing the OL and surrounding Sam with great talent? How dumb would the Jets look if they burned 2020 draft picks for Clark, he came to the Jets and was a flop or only average, and then they didn't have the ammo necessary to draft their new LT next year? If the Jets finish .500 or better this season, they probably won't be in position to get one of the elite LT prospects. That would be a disaster, especially when there are a couple of excellent edge rushers available in FA this year and a bunch of excellent edge rushing prospects in the draft?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see any logic or wisdom in burning a draft pick or picks to get a player when we have so many holes/needs, and such a shortage of talent.

#27 NCJetsfan, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

We are still playing the "we always take defense in the first round" card because it is still totally valid until it changes. You speak as if that hasn't been the case. The Jets have placed an emphasis on D every year in the 1st round and where has it gotten us? The D is still mediocre, and the offense, with the exception of 2017, has been pretty abysmal.

Yes, we have a massive need on the edge. Everyone knows that. If we sign Barr or Flowers that need is largely taken care of. Adding someone else would make it more of a strength, but also could be viewed as a luxury when we have so many other holes and needs. We also have massive needs at OT, C, OG, WR and RB, and to a lesser extent TE and CB.

While I would have no problems with the Jets taking Allen or Bosa at #3, the team could be MUCH better off trading down adding a 2nd round pick and additional picks this year and/or next, particularly if we've already signed Barr or Flowers. In that scenario, we wouldn't have any pressure to have to take an edge rusher, but we could still take Brian Burns or Montez Sweat in the trade down, and either of them could wind up as good or better than Allen or Bosa. If we didn't take Burns or Sweat, instead we could take a great WR prospect or OT prospect. There are a ton of great prospects who will be available in the 2nd round, but not in the 3rd. There will still be some very good WR prospects in the third, and to a lesser extent OGs and perhaps a C, but why not be able to take one of those prospects in the second and get another one in the third? The best WRs will be gone by the 3rd round as will the best OT prospects, both needs that are as massive as the edge rusher.

If we haven't signed either Barr or Flowers, then there is a greater need to stay put and take one of Allen and Bosa, but we could still trade down, add those picks and take either Brian Burns or Montez Sweat. We'd still get an elite pass rushing prospect, and could add more talent and speed to the roster than we otherwise would be able to.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

How in the world did you see Coples in Allen? That is a true mystery to me. His size is fine. He's roughly the same size as Bosa. He's an inch taller and only 3 pounds lighter. If anything, I'd rather he lose 7-10 pounds to increase his speed. I don't think 3-4 OLBs need to be 260 pounds plus to be effective setting the edge.

A first round pick next year would be super as part of a trade down, but isn't necessary. IMO a great trade down would be a 2nd, 3rd and 6th this year and a 2nd and 4th next year. You speak as if Allen and Bosa are the only two good pass rushing prospects in the draft. That's far from true.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Tall, dominated against lesser opponents, got tossed around a bit inside (Coples actually had the opposite problem, moreso the red flag comparison). Also 260 isn’t big for someone pushing 6’6”.

Bosa/Allen are on a different level than any other pass rusher in the draft. That’s not to say there aren’t any other good ones, but if you’re passing on a top tier prospect then you need to get paid well for it. That’s the only way I’d trade down.

11. NCJetsfan

So you don't think a 2nd, 3rd and 6th this year and a 2nd and 4th next year wouldn't be getting paid well to move down 3-4 spots? That team could also throw in a good player that could fill a hole. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. As I said before, I'd love to get a 1st next year in addition to what we get this year, but I don't think I'd let that stop me from trading down if the other compensation was very good.

12. BroadwayAaron

We gave up 3 second round picks to mke the exact move you’re suggesting we make. I don’t know what the dumb chart says, but it doesn’t seem like we’d get that much for a trade down which we set the precedent for a year ago.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly..we have to hope and pray for a trade partner

Who is looking for a QB??: Maybe Washington and maybe Denver..let's see if we get lucky

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Iam getting so aggravated with the discussion of "what if Mac can't get us..a trade partner"

Why ? Because it's forcing the Jets to pick at 3 for another "Def Wonder"

I want Mac outa here if he doesn't orchestrate a Trade ...he put that out there a week or two ago

Better make it happen loser..

15. BroadwayAaron

This is such a dumb thought process. But people telling you this over the last few years is how so many of us ended up on ignore so you won’t even see this. Just the way you like it.

FJF likes this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I really didn’t understand the need for Mac to announce the pick was “ for sale “. Better off staying quiet for now and monitoring other teams needs and movements. I’m sure Jets scouts as well as all other teams have their connections or “ spys “ as you will.....

I feel by announcing you’re open for business as far as a trade involving draft picks and positioning this early you are inadvertently putting a tinge of desperation out there ....maybe it’s just me.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm all for trading down if we get a good haul in return, but part of me looks back at 1997 when we traded down twice in round 1 and passed on 2 HOF LT's. Allen and Bosa could be the HOF pass rushers we pass on if we move down. Just a thought.

18. NCJetsfan

Yes, it would be great to get the same back or more, but each draft is different. Teams' needs vary from year to year and talent level of prospects vary. Last year there were 4 QBs that were being coveted, this year, there's really only one, maybe two QBs that will be coveted, and that mostly because teams have needs. IMO neither are anywhere as good a prospect as Mayfield, Sam, and Rosen were last year.

19. NCJetsfan

Allen or Bosa could wind up a HOF edge rusher, there's no doubt. This isn't 1997, however. Parcells didn't give a damn about the future of the Jets. He was in "win now mode." He wanted to win another SB quickly to boost his legacy. Any HC/GM with half a brain wouldn't passed on a top LT prospect to keep a 32 year-old LT, especially to get a bunch of crappy picks which is Parcells got (the #6 pick, a 3rd, 4th, & 7th from the Rams, and only a 5th rounder and the #8 pick.). That was also the same draft in which we could have had Peyton Manning. I forever will despise Bill Parcells for that one stupid draft.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We also have a massive need on the OL. You know, protecting our franchise QB.

If we had beastly playmakers that could get open quickly on offense it might be a different story, but we don’t. Darnold needs time.
    I’d rather see the offense progress at a faster rate at this point. Look for edge via trade.

Don’t get me wrong, I expect we’ll go edge in the draft, it’s just not what I want to see them do unless there’s no trade option available.