Schlegel stays on the move

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by twinjetfan, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merkava

Merkava New Member

Gentlemen, relax. If i'm not mistaken, last year everyone on here was gushing over the fact that he hunts with a knife. Thats all I heard about.

He just had his rookie season, and he was not am extremely high draft choice, lets give him a little longer before we declare a bust.

And the previous post is WAY off topic.

2. Warrior

Warrior Member

It's a shame you feel that way. He's a good person and dedicated to many facets of his life including the Jets. Much nicer than your typical a-hole football personality. I assume it was no mistake you spelled the word God with a small 'g'. If he is going to succeed it will be with the 3-4. He's smart and he will be a beast if given the chance.

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I don't think that Gilles even saw any meaningful playing time at G last year, wasn't he inactive for most games?

Everyone on the site has jumped up and down saying that Gilles was TOO big, and TOO slow for our needs at G- doesn't sound like the right fit for the kind of line we are putting together. I'd much rather have a guy in the mold of the G (his name escapes me) who may be around in the first round- someone who is not only a mauler but also finesse...

4. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

If you are a fairly serious football fan you eventually learn what to look for in players that set them apart. I'm not saying we have anywhere near the knowledge or ability of pro scouts or coaches but you can translate the "flashes" of talent and athletecism into the players potential.

Some of that potential goes unfounded for any number of reasons (injury, immaturity, poor work ethic, Johnny Mitchell ...) and some players sqeeze out every drop of it (chrebet).

The problem with Schlegel is that he did not have any flashes in his first year, he appeared slow and stiff and in this league that is not a good sign. I hope he comes out and lights it up this year but I'm not counting on it.

Look at many of the other draft picks, they may not have become starters or all-rookie players but they showed that they may belong at this level. Lots of optimism about them on the board.

Don't underestimate your gut reaction to a players ability, your going on what you see and that has value.

5. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

But the guy hasn't really played besides ST so there is noway you could have judged him unless you went to training camp.

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

We knew he was slow when we drafted him, and we did it anyway, so there must be something there...I think he is projected to take over for Barton (you know, the one who everyone wants to get rid of...I think the plan is to have him be the big beef in the middle that takes on any linemen that come thru, freeing up vilma to roam. I really think he could end up being a good player and valuable part of the team. It'll be another 2 years b4 we know if he is a bust or not.

7. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

give schlegal some time....evaluate him more after this year....

FFS!!!!!!!

8. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

he is 26.. i dont know how much more time we can give him. i mean honestly does ayone here really see as a player in the future? i got more hope for pohus than i do for schegel.

9. baamf

baamf Active Member

Judging A.S. off of last year is silly. I love the guys who say he is slow and stiff, I'm glad you picked up on that on the handful of plays that he was in during his 4 game activity. It was his first year in the NFL learning a new system, jeez Vilma looked lost last year in the 3-4, it takes time. And I'm sure most of you complainers never watched him in college so judging his athletic ability based on what you saw last year is again a stretch. Why don't we compare his athleticism to the two insider backers that were drafted before him. They would be Abdul Hodge and D'Qwell Jackson drafted 67th and 34th respectively.

Jackson is 6'-0", 230lbs. He did 19 presses, had a 37" vertical jump, and recorded broad jumps of 9'-7" and 9'-8". His 10/20/40 times were 1.68, 1.65 2.78, 2.74, 4.80, 4.78.

Hodge is 6'-0", 236lbs. He didn't press as the combine, had a 31" vertical jump, and recorded broad jumps of 8'-8", and 9"-0". His 10/20/40 times were 1.70, 1.64, 2.80, 2.78, 4.85, 4.79.

These are both smaller/supposedly faster guys suited for the 4-3. Let's see how the much bigger A.S. compared to the guys drafted before him.

Schlegel is 6'-0", 250lbs. He did 21 presses (4th best of inside guys that year), had a 32" vertical jump, and recorded broad jumps of 9'-3", and 9'-3". His 10/20/40 times were 1.70, 1.69, 2.86, 2.83, 4.90, 4.86.

Schlegel is quite comparable to these lighter guys. And it should be noted he had the 5th fastest 40 of all of the inside guys at the combine last year, this myth that he is not athletic is simply that, a myth. I mean on this board Vilma is mister all world, and at 233lbs his best 40 time prior to being drafted was at his pro day when he ran a 4.61.

Now I'm not saying he is the most gifted athlete in the world, but most inside guys in the 3-4 aren't. But let's stop making it out that he has John Candy's athletic ability.

I also agree that he was a reach at where he was chosen, but as others have mentioned that is not his fault. Will he ever be a super star? Probably not, but if he becomes a consistent middle backer I will be pleased. I'm not giving up just yet, rather I'll wait until I actually see him play some in a Jets uniform before making some broad stroked prediction....

#49 baamf, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Poor Schlegel, I think that our only true memories of him to date are his back to back bonehead penalties while on ST.

11. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

lol i didnt even know he ran a 4.9 . thats just confirms my opinion. o yea D qwell is a 3-4 ILB who played very well for the browns this year.

#51 hydro51, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  12. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

who cares if he is 26, he has been in the nfl a WHOLE ONE YEAR!!!!!

evaluate after this year

13. baamf

baamf Active Member

Actually his best time at the combine on the notoriously slow track of the RCA dome was 4.86. And if you didn't notice that was the 5th best of all middle backers in the draft last year. Vilma at his pro day (perfectly staged conditions) only did a 4.61. A.S. was also impressive in the 10 yard dash which is really more important for a middle guy. Take a look at the numbers, saying he is not a good athlete is just ignorant....

14. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

Its always nice to see someone who remains so firm in their opinions even when proven wrong.

Jackson was a first or second rounder I believe so its not a big shock that he played. The fact that he is faster than Schlegel probably helps explain why he was drafted higher.

The same can be said for Hodge.

The point of baamf's post was that they are similar athletically. Take the 40yd dash, which most acknowledge is the most overrated predictor of NFL success and what you see in Schlegel is a bigger stronger guy who is athletic and quick over short distances.

Hmmmm. . . sounds just like what you are looking for in an ILB in the 3-4

15. KSJets

KSJets New Member

No one thought Bryan Thomas was a player either, until this year. Then just about everyone wanted to keep him. It's funny how these things work out. You don't have to have all-world speed to play ILB in a 3-4.

16. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

baamf:

Good info and analysis. FWIW I think Schlegel ran a 4.76 at the Ohio State pro day.

17. baamf

baamf Active Member

Oh and by the way, I like Jackson but he was drafted a full round and a half before Schlegel and he wouldn't have started either with the Jets in front of Vilma and Barton.

But my only point before was that the idea that Schlegel is slow and stiff is simply not true. And it is impossible to tell whether or not he is a bust after last year. JMHO....

18. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

vilma ran a 4.54 at the combine. also theres a difference between track and football speed. some players translate their speed to the football field real well and other players look slow as shit on the field because they cant translate their speed. schlegel is exactly that. he is stiff, not athletic at all. but who says he should be athletic? hes a 3-4 ilb, they're all big and slow. thats why we drafted him, because hes a great fit for our 3-4 defense.

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

my fault for thinking he is a bust. schlegel is a terrific athlete. runs side to side with the best. the flashes of brilliance he showed u last year leads me to believe he is a future all pro.

[​IMG]

i see thing so much clearer now.

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thomas is different, he had an amazing combine which is why we jumped on him over a player like Ed Reed.

schlegel had the production in college, at Air Force and OSU. but his athleticism isnt anything to talk about.

i like what baamf posted though, does let you know he has the short range quickness which is crucial for ILB's.

now while I think he can be good, I also think Barton is way better than him. he will ride the bench at least another year. anyways, i dont see him as one to be making a whole lot of tackles. mostly a block eater next to vilma. but im also sick of the intangibles talk, let see what he does if hes actually counted upon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.