Schefter: Zach Wilson with Bone Bruise & Meniscus Tear (out 2-4 weeks)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Aug 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I know right? I had to do a double take …. And it’s been about 15 years since he stunk up the joint

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Giving the fans what they want to hear maybe?

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But putting the right touch on the ball is not something unique to the NFL, it is not his second year at throwing passes to players in different parts of the field and is something that should come naturally to a guy with his overall experience. Until he finds a way to relax on the field he's going to overpower a lot of his passes.

jets_fan likes this.
  4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

WhenI saw the Jets play in London it struck me how amped-up Zach seemed in real life. Like he was fizzing. It is something he needs to get over, but I think experience should take care of it. I think he showed signs of calming down a little even in his limited action against the Eagles. On the play where he got injured, I was just thinking how impressive he was at avoiding the pressure. He rolled out calmly, then the blood rushed to his head and he injured himself trying to do too much. I think he will calm down, he's still a kid, but I understand the concern,

The Dark Knight, cval and Noam like this.
  5. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with him without my "Green Tinted" glasses on. He was really bad last year, and that pre season game was far worse than anyone thought it was going to be.

How many quarterbacks have been awful AND hurt in their 1st couple of seasons and turn out to be really good long term?

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Terry Bradshaw. However the Steelers put together an all-time team around him *and* he survived a guy taking his job in season 4 (Joe Gilliam) because the team was so fed up by his inability to prosper even with that great team around him.

7. ukjetsfan

I don't see that he was that awful against the Eagles. He had two bad throws, no doubt, but he was settling down. Right before he got injured he was putting together a nice drive and looking very calm. Of course that was all tainted by the pointless injury, but looking at that second drive again he looked poised. It was such a small sample size, we don't know if he would have thrown another interception if he'd stayed in, or led the team to a touchdown.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was against the Eagles 2nd teamers

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You are arguing with people that want to see him fail. They will latch on to any evidence that he will.

You say that fans are usually the opposite of that, I agree. It is very strange for a fan of a team hoping their young QB fails.

Zach by all accounts was having a pretty good camp. All the reporters raved how much better he looked in the green and White game. He throws five passes in a preseason game and the haters are all over this board saying how much he sucks.

Can we just stop and let it play out. We get it you want Wilson to fail. Most teams give their QB 3 years to fail people on this board are giving Zach 12 games.

Tell me what is your agenda? You are pissed they cut Sam, you are pissed they didn't draft Fields, you are pissed they did not trade the pick?

None of those things are Zach's fault. How about we root for the kid until undoubtedly proves he is not the guy.

UK_Chilts, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The atrocious INT gets the most attention - and rightly so - followed by the bad overthrow. But he did look perfectly fine in his other throws, which does get overshadowed. He didn't go 0-5. Admittedly, that's a pretty low bar for our 2nd overall pick franchise QB entering his second year, but it's a fair point and worth acknowledging. All I can say is I hope he gets back on the field fully healthy very soon. He just needs more play for experience and evaluation. But one step at a time. I'm going to try to look at the whole of his work rather than decide what he is based on one game or one throw. Even if he takes a big step forward, he's still going to have off games and off throws. All QBs do, no exceptions.

Good film breakdown here:
    https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/08/15/ny-jets-film-zach-wilson-preseason-eagles/

11. ukjetsfan

It does sometimes seem like that. He deserves criticism for the INT, of course, and for that bad overthrow. Of course there are doubts... but some people are acting as if he has played like that for the entire season already. Comments like 'How many QBs have been awful and hurt in his first couple of seasons?' just seem crazy to me. He hasn't been awful in his second season. His second season hasn't started yet.

ColoradoContrails, cval and Noam like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem is the Jets always spin heavily on the preseason.

Sam Darnold looked great in 2019 if you believe them. Geno Smith looked great in 2014. Mark Sanchez looked great in 2010. Kellen Clemens looked great in 2007, etc.

So when the Jets spin Zach Wilson it's just part of a tired formula that has not been truthful nor productive at anything other than hyping ticket sales.

Jets-N-Terps and ouchy like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good posts, @ukjetsfan! Don't waste your time interacting with the negative or anti-Zach posters though. You have a level head and are watching things right. I don't know why people would want him to fail, but it does seem like some people do.

I am surprised with the people who think he is a bad QB though, as we truly have watched a lot of bad QB play as Jets fans, and Zach is pretty good compared to them. He keeps making progress too, which is all we can ask of him.

The people like Brady Quinn or others overblowing his INT last week are embarrassing. It was one play. He did not see the linebacker. Assumed it would be an easy pre-season play. He was fine the rest of the game until his injury.

I see a QB with a lot of talent who just needs to work on the small things and he can become an elite QB.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I feel like Zach shouldn't have to learn to put touch on balls, that should just be something every QB picks up on very early into their career. Bit concerning if he's still rifling every pass.

Ralebird and jets_fan like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Go to 3:44. I'd say he knows how to throw a ball with touch.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Elway or Favre never learned it. Catch the F***ing ball they are professional receivers.

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure why we get this talk track that fans are rooting for him to fail.

lots of back and forth on this topic but in summary, aren’t the basic points as follows:

- Zach had a rough rookie year…stats were not good, rating was bottom of the league, etc

- there were some reasons for those ratings…bad OL, sun-par receivers, plenty of drops, new coaching staff, etc

- the difference is that some fans believe Zach will improve going forward based on a better supporting cast, and he will prove to be the franchise QB we need, while other fans believe that he won’t develop into that because the issues were more than just his surrounding cast

there are some who seem totally sure that he’ll be great, others are totally sure he’ll fail, and some are more in the wait and see camp

For me, I’d say I fall into that middle group where I have hope that he can improve and think he will, but there’s also enough to give me concerns … I don’t think it’s a sure thing…

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Get off the fence and take a stand! :mad:

... so we can argue at you and call you names!

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Is it taking a stand if I say he needs to be at least average this year(would be a significant step up from 2021)? It about what Allen was in year 2.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Are you gonna be a problem here, Cotchery?

Hot takes only!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.