SB Nation: Lots of dysfunction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

For most of this ruthless season, a difference in philosophy and friction has boiled between Jets head coach Rex Ryan and his offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.
    "They talk," a Jets player said. "And then they go snipping behind each others' backs."
    Ryan all season long wanted a ground and pound offense. Mornhinweg is a West Coast offense traditionalist who believes the passing game is nearly always the answer. Ryan hired Mornhinweg before the 2013 season. Last year the Jets finished 8-8 and ran it more than they passed it, finishing second in the league in rushing yards per game and last in passing yards per game. In this 2-10 season, thus far they have thrown it more than ran it, yet, again rank second in rushing and last in passing.
    Eyes rolled after Monday-Jets game, when the Jets ran the ball 49 times and passed it only eight times before their final drive.
    Speculation ran rampant that Ryan employed this tactic to stick it to Jets general manager John Idzik over being "forced" to start quarterbaco.
    Ryan has never affirmed that such an edict was made by Idzik, but denies the game plan was retribution. Ryan responded bluntly on Wednesday morning in a telephone interview: "No, I did not do that. And you can print that."
    Incredibly, the lopsided run-pass ratio in that game was more Mornhinweg sticking it to Ryan, both a Jets player and a management source said.
    "It was like Marty finally gave in to what Rex has been asking him to do all year long to prove his point," a Jets player said. "We lost doing it Rex's way, so, I guess Marty felt vindicated. We don't understand why Rex let it go on this long. Rex allows his coaches to grow and be great. But he also allows them to hang themselves, and that winds up with him hanging himself. Rex is not a confrontational person. He acts like it. He talks like it. But he believes in giving his coaches respect and room."
    For Ryan, that has come at great expense.
    A Jets management source said that Ryan on at least two occasions this season considered firing Mornhinweg.
    Two Jets players said that before the Steelers game on Nov. 9 that "speculation" and "intense pressure" soaked the atmosphere at the Jets complex over the feeling that Ryan would be fired afterward. Maybe it was because a bye week would follow, giving a new coach more time to pick up the pieces. Maybe it was because a loss would saddle the Jets with a ninth straight defeat. Ryan answered: The Jets finagled a huge upset with a 20-13 victory.
    But then failures to Buffalo and Miami followed. That pushed them into double-digit losses for the season, closing any remaining hope of Ryan building a retention plan.
    There is emphasis among the Jets management and players on both Ryan's and Mornhinweg's failures to adjust this season. Ryan for not backing off more on his blitzes to cover for his depleted and challenged cornerbacks, first, and secondary overall. Mornhinweg for his pass-first offense, for "too much" volume that he gave Smith and his failure to more effectively let his running game be more of a complement to his passing game.
    Though Ryan spoke to the Miami offensive game plan in a direct interview, he chose to issue this statement on all elements of this story via the Jets public relations department:
    "From the time I became head coach of this team, whether we are winning or losing, I have always told our coaches and players to push each other. We always talk about how we can get better and what we need to do to win. During a season like this, it's tough. We sometimes have to push each other even harder so that we can figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. And we are still tight."

Idzik has vocal detractors in the Jets locker room and beyond.
    Some Jets players shook their heads when receiver Decker was brought in from Denver "where he was a No. 4 receiver and we made him a No. 1, gave him $7.5 million and found out he was of little or no help," one Jets player said.
    "Idzik did not give Rex the pieces he needed to fit his system," another said. "He did not get this team what it needed this year to win. Either he is the worst negotiator in football or he set us up to lose."
    This punishing view of Idzik rolls into the coaching staff, a Jets management source said, who insisted the Jets coaching staff was primarily on one-year coaching deals last season and again this season. It set a culture of pressure on top of pressure for all of the coaches. It set a culture that made coaching families hang even more than usual on every win and every loss. The NFL norm, a West Coast NFL general manager explained, is that coaching staffs are given at least two-year deals in their current season. If fired, it gives them a year to find new jobs. If they find one quickly, the second year salary is offset. It set an "incredibly bad culture to do it the other way," the general manager said.
    Idzik has always insisted that his plan is and was to win now and into the future.
    We could see what was happening on the field for the Jets during this tumultuous season.
    This is a window into what was happening off it.
    A tortured lack of clear and honest communication, fractured perceptions from locker room to coaches to management and the gut-wrenching emotions that bubble when, simply, you lose a swath of football games. The Jets play at the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, one of four games they have left before drastic change inevitably comes.
    "Idzik, when he took over last year, should have just ran everybody off and found the coach he wanted," a league source said. "This should have been done from the start. It would have been a lot less toxic."

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Annnnnd SB Nation lives up to it's reputation for having all the news anybody can make up on the spur of the moment...

xxedge72x and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. ArmandJ

Can't post links, but everyone hates each other pretty much

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

OP posting in even paragraphs: Lots of dysfunction

5. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

I expect articles like this when this team continues to spiral out of control

6. ArmandJ

Lol sorry. I can't post links for some reason.

7. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but who made Rex hire Marty?

My memory is fuzzy, but I thought Marty was on board after Tanny, but before Idzik.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/4/7335427/the-toxic-downfall-of-rex-ryans-jets

Easier reading I hope..

9. NYJalltheway

I just read it finally. It's much easier with a DARK BACKGROUND on my phone. I'd love the specific people to be named.

Also I counted 3 spelling errors at least. Pathetic for a so called "article."

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think they just set a record for number of anonymous sources in one article.

Jets69 and jetsclaps like this.
  11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Awww, poor Rex. The imaginary voice in his head managed to force him into hiring an offensive coordinator with an offensive philosophy that is diametrically opposed to his own. Poor guy.

Red Menace and Pocket Jet like this.
  12. abyzmul

You really believe Rex had any part in hiring offensive assistants?

Come on. The guy is a buffoon, but don't pretend he's been able to choose his own guy. Even with Sparano. He sounded like one of his recent sad sack press conferences during the welcome conference call for that goofball.

13. slimjasi

I have no doubt he hired both. Who forced Sparano on him, Tanny? And who forced MM on him? Woody? (Idzik was hired a few days after MM was hired).

14. abyzmul

Sparano was initially part of a package deal that was publicly suggested by Parcells. Then Haley bailed on the package deal. The Jets spent a couple of days and hired Sparano anyway. Tanny was always a Parcells puppet. And he was also the General Manager. You know, the guy that hires everyone under him.

MM was a bad fit, and unless I'm mistaken, was hired the exact same day as Idzik. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you can prove it. I remember it being the same day, but I'll be happy to reconsider.

15. slimjasi

Tanny was definitely a Parcells puppet at first, but he seemed to veer pretty far off into brash-Rex land when the team was winning in 2009-2010 (Hardknocks Tanny). But regardless, I don't buy the notion that Rex couldn't have held out for a guy he truly wanted. He was definitely the most powerful guy in the Jets organization post-Mangini and pre-Idzik (mainly because the owner adored him). I think what is more likely is that he didn't care enough about the offense to properly obsess over it like every head coach should.

I don't see any reason to think that anyone other than Rex hired MM, but I think you are right about MM and Idzik. My mistake. For some reason, I have this false memory that MM was known for a few days before Idzik. Both decisions were announced on January 19nth, 2014, from what I can gather.

16. abyzmul

Your entire argument is based on your idea that Rex walked into the building and instantly became the most powerful man in the organization.

We're going to disagree about that and it basically makes any further argument useless, so there you have it.

17. slimjasi

I don't believe that Rex walked into the building and instantly became the most powerful guy in the organization, but I also find it extremely hard to believe that Rex wasn't afforded the opportunity to pick his own coaching staff (as, to my knowledge, the vast majority of NFL coaches are).

Edit: Basically, I have a hard time believing that Rex wasn't granted this rather routine authority.

Double edit: As you point out, my belief is certainly emboldened by the fact that it has been widely reported that Woody is a Rex fanboy.

#17 slimjasi, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  18. NYJalltheway

Regardless of who is right, it all needs to be blown up. I think we can agree on that.

TNJet likes this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Fire every single person who has a job in the orginization,even replace the cheerleaders.Really clean house ,why do people typically buy a new car?because there old one was a worn down pathetic peice of shit,thats basically what the Jets orginization is as a whole"A Pathetic Worn Down Peice Of Shit" or APWDPOS witch should be Idziks licsense plate number and every one elses who works for the Jets

#19 LongIslandBlitz, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    4jetfans likes this.
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]