Santonio Holmes - Interesting Quotes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Apr 9, 2011.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    #Jets Santonio Holmes says he will not sign his RFA tender if 2010 rules are in place: "I wouldn't do it." #nfl

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Santonio Holmes says he can't attend Mark Sanchez's "camp" next month due to family reasons. #Jets

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Santonio Holmes non-commital on whether he wants to re-sign with #Jets. Says he'll sign best offer if he's UFA.

Sounds like he's as good as gone to me.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

We'll see...Tanny finds a way to get shit done.

In before "If Tanny was such a hot shot GM how come the Jets don't have any VLTs? :jets:"

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

Sounds like he's made his mind up and wants to cash in, and who can really blame him? He's got his title, and with his drug problems, he's 1 failure away from missing a season.

I've said it all along, I'd rather Edwards be the first choice.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

sounds like Holmes is a cunt.

Go play for the Redskins.

5. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

Sort of sounds like posturing to me.

I truly don't get the vibe this isn't anything Holmes didn't tell the organization when they slapped that RFA tag on him.

I think he's sending a message loud and clear, that with the lockout uncertainty, if 2010 rules return, don't count on not being able to pay him and keeping him on a tender. He was a "top priority" without the 2010 rules, and he wants to make sure 2010 rules or not, they still make him a priority. Sort of how it reads to me. It also clearly signals to the the Jets, if 2010 rules return, if they want to keep him, work his deal ASAP, so they don't have to bid for him.

If they have no intention of paying him, then he's told him, without being able to communicate with them, they need to draft another WR.

Just how it reads to me. I don't know. Sounds like business.

#5 alwaysthejets, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

if Holmes feels that way, fine...it's his right. But keep it out of the media. He looks like an asshole now.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

I've been with you on that one. I'd love to have both but prefer Edwards over Holmes. I know we're in the minority.

8. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Would like to see him hang out with Sanchez and the rest of the receivers in Cali.
    It does not make much sense for him to do that with out a contract though.

All the off season non movement sucks. Get the CBA done mofos.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

Meh - I can't hate the guy because he wants to cash in. I don't see anything wrong with him being straight forward about it either. I'd prefer to hear the truth than a bunch of "I only want to play for the Jets" BS, and then have him sign with the highest bidder.

He's enough of a DB to hate for other reasons.

10. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Frankly, I just think this is a ploy to get the Jets to throw him a higher contract because he knows they want him over Edwards.

I still feel its going to be a Holmes long term deal and Edwards with a 2 year deal with the 2nd year as a high salary mutual option.

11. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

I agree. I'd rather he not be fake about it. Most, not all, but most athletes are fake about it when they spout off half of the things they do. They just play the media game and people eat it up, which is cool, but it doesn't change the fact that lots of athletes are disingenuous when they do it. Of all the reasons one could knock Holmes, I actually respect that he's pretty straight forward when asked a question.

I personally never expected Holmes to come back at a discount, either. I just think this is plain and simple business, especially when the man has been looking at homes in NY/NJ and when before there was a chance he'd possibly have to play with the RFA Tender, he was making videos about re-signing with the Jets.

What's changed? Oh, that's right. Now that nine hundred articles have come out about how the Jets would be in the best position if 2010 rules applied, and how 2010 rules look more and more likely, and they could get all their RFA's back on one year deals... He's sending a message. It should probably stay out of the media, but with the "no communication" thing, ehh...

I get how people might not like the comments, but I don't fault him for his honesty, or for trying to maximize his contract.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i concur, just so long as DB stands for douche bag. i can think of alot of things to hate about him this withstanding. i really dont have a huge issue with this.

now let me sit back and watch all of the santonio holmes "supporters" commence to turn their backs on him and call him every name in the book.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

but why snub the Sanchez workout?

I know this is a business, but c'mon now.....not everyone has a Superbowl ring, Santonio.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

Reading between the lines, his "family issue" is that if he gets injured he doesn't have insurance and doesn't get paid.

15. ........

........ Trolls

It's an intelligent minority. It wasn't that long ago that we had enough people convinced that the poll was awfully close. Since then, I've been surprised by the way things have gone as far as public opinion. I've always preferred Edwards if we couldn't keep both.

One thing I'll say, my biggest concern now is that if they don't meet and settle things, and things are settled by the judge's decision, we go back to 2010 rules. If that happens, and Holmes refuses to sign his tender, we may lose both of them. Edwards immediately becomes the top WR on the FA market at that point with the others being stripped away by the extended RFA status.

16. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

Yes, that whole, he's not under contract, and the liabilities are insane for a player not under contract to take on, when they haven't cashed in even once yet, and the future contract value will be as much as his is likely to be, and... Holmes is repped by Segal, but Rosenhaus has tweeted he's told all of his clients that aren't under contract not to engage in these types of events for liability reasons. I'm sure all of the big agents have done the same.

Santonio re-tweeted or replied to something about one of his kids the other week or whatever, pretty sure it said something about how he's going to be with his kids supporting/at their mother's wedding or some such during that early May window of time. Tell me if that's violating privacy, I'll edit. If you follow him, or any of his other company/business stuff, pretty sure that's been mentioned on one of those accounts, if it wasn't on his main one.

Santonio doesn't strike me as the type to snub a workout, and then lie about it. If he's going to be a jerk and snub, he seems like he'll just own it.

Dominique Foxworth of the Ravens said he was trying to get people together and having problems for this reason.

I don't know if I'd hate on Santonio for not being at that May workout, but again, respect if others want to.

#16 alwaysthejets, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  17. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Holmes is an exciting player who makes big plays... but he makes big fuck ups too. He's a big ego who wants big money.

I almost got a Holmes jersey when Modells was having that sale, glad I didn't.

18. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This offseason sucks.

19. ........

........ Trolls

He has to be doing SOME sort of training during the offseason. The idea that he can't participate in non-contact passing drills is absurd. He has as much risk of getting tweaked doing that as he does in any sort of training. This is infinitely more benign even than Pennington's pick up basketball. I'd tell my clients not to do THAT before I'd tell them not to do camps like this with no contact. It's absurd.

He's a professional athlete. It's his responsibility to stay in shape. The fact that he would rather take a FULL week to help with a wedding speaks volumes for the fact that he doesn't see himself on this team next season.

Or, he's snubbing it because he doesn't believe he'll be on the team, but he doesn't want to come off as a jerk for any potential suitors. It's times like this when you get a sense of what type of person a player might be, not how he behaves when a team takes a chance on him or when that team is doing well.

What in the world could Foxworth be doing as far as in-game drills are concerned? I don't want our receivers working with corners, and I wouldn't want our corners working with receivers. That would necessitate contact. I want our receivers and backs working with our QB, and I want our corners training together and picking Revis's brain before they're able to resume team activities.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'd like to sign the beast.