Santonio Holmes a Jet - For a 5th Round Pick!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Catfish Billy, Apr 11, 2010.

1. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Holmes has shown he is the more consistent receiver with much better hands.

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

Schefter just said its a lock that Holmes is suspended for the first 4 games next season

3. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

i hate to move cotch to 3 but looks like that is happening unless we make cotch a draft day trade as long as we draft a WR.

i cant see us keeping edwards and holmes at the end of the season so i think we take the one who plays better and let the other wont walk. for tag them and trade

4. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Yes, due to his marijuana possesion charge.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Which means the Jets will have the same offense that they ended the year with last year, with the change of LT. Week five....the gloves come off.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I have to laugh....didn't Seattle trade a 1st round pick to the Pats for Deion Branch (their SuperBowl MVP)?

I hope the Steelers enjoy the shiny turd we traded them for their Super Bowl MVP.

7. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

HAHA Mike Tannenbaum is doing work he is the best GM, what a steal

8. jcjet

jcjet Member

Damn this is going to an interesting year! And will lead to another interesting year next year regarding all the expiring contracts

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Looks like he'll be driving to work with Ellis.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Who cares if he misses the first 4 games of the season, he will be in camp and practice. This is a complete steal. Very high reward, medium risk. If he performs well, we go far and we resign him. If he sucks, we let him walk and we didn't mortgage anything more than a 5th round pick. Love it!

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Holmes is some real talent. This isn't going to move Cotchery to the bench but it sure is going to impact Braylon Edwards playing time if his hands keep getting in the way.

If Holmes wasn't suspended for the first 4 games I'd figure a trade to move Edwards out was in the works for draft day.

12. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Just to add to your points both have had alot of off the field issues. We will have to decide who to pay and keep. I think Homes has better hands but this may come down to who is the better citizen rather than player in the end.

A 5th for holmes is an indication the steelers think he is either hopeless or they cannot afford two guys on the roster that have off the field issues.

13. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Cotch is our best receiver right now! I would move Edwards as the # 3 until he can show he can catch the ball on a consistent basis. Of course this is after Holmes serves his suspension. Can we shop Edwards? He has the propensity to drop balls in critical situations.

14. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member

I thought this was a pretty good piece from SI / King on the Holmes trade:

4. Rex Ryan absolutely loves Holmes. It's no secret that the Jets coach thought Holmes was the most dangerous receiver he faced. Before taking the Jets job, Ryan was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. In 2007, second-year receiver Holmes caught eight balls for 208 yards and three touchdowns against the Ravens in two games. In 2008, Pittsburgh swept the Ravens in three low-scoring meetings, the last being the AFC Championship Game. In those three games, Pittsburgh totaled three offensive touchdowns -- all scoring receptions by Holmes.

Ryan's throwing a party this morning, and when Holmes walks into the Jets' complex in Florham Park, N.J., Ryan will hug him like a college roommate he hasn't seen for 30 years.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Holmes might have better hands but Edwards give us a different dimension w/ his size. Having a guy that big that can also get down the field is a luxury most teams do not have and he'll be huge in the development of sanchez in year 2.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You forgot Dustin.
    Man it's gonna be the NFL dream team in East Rutherford!

17. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

man when is the first episode of hard knocks? with all these new guys the show is gonna be a great way to get a sneak peak at them, all i gotta do is make it to then and the season will be here before long.

18. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Now I''m really interested to see when the schedule comes out this week (hopefully) to see who we play in the first 4 games. I HOPE that the Steelers aren't in the first 4 games.

19. perfectpackage99

awseome, makes up for the lousy mets.

20. Ten

Ten Active Member

The major downside to this trade is that it rules out us taking Golden Tate,It should be a rule that we can only aqquire players with funny names...Chansi,Santana,Laverneus...