SanFran & Shanny: Sam's New Home ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 6, 2020.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Tim Kawakami, the ax for all things San Francisco 49'ers related, plugged Sam as the #1 young option (and probably overall option) if/when the 49'ers decide to upgrade or bring in another QB to challenge Jimmy G.

Sam's mobility and style meshes perfectly with Shannahan.

Sam Darnold, Jets: My guess is this was Shanahan’s highest-rated QB in the 2018 draft; Darnold went third overall, Baker Mayfield first, Josh Allen seventh. So if the Jets land the No. 1 or 2 pick this year for Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, obviously, Darnold could be an interesting trade option for the 49ers. But the trade price likely would be pretty steep, and I don’t see the 49ers giving up anything more than a mid-round pick for Darnold, who has thrown 34 interceptions in two-plus seasons.

https://theathletic.com/2177702/202...-and-add-2-challengers-my-2021-49ers-qb-plan/

2. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Sam will end up with Pats or 49ers

And come back to haunt us for the next 15 years

No doubt we’ll see the typical post-Gase career takeoff

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If the Jets get the 1st pick, moving on from Darnold seems like the right move. I would want decent compensation though, and it seems like the Colts or 49ers are the two most likely options for trade partners.

It’s still a long way to go until the Jets are confirmed to pick first overall, I know it seems like a lock but it’s not.

4. JetsKickAss

That would be ironic, Sam to the Colts, who could have taken him 3rd in 2018 before we switched positions.

No way he gets traded to the Pats....NO WAY. Unless Belicheat wants to give up a 1st and a 2nd.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think people are just saying that because they like to be dramatic. The Jets would never trade him in division.

It’s a little ironic with the Colts, but obviously they still had Andrew Luck in 2018.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. JetsKickAss

I have to go back and check the articles then. But because they had Luck, they may NOT have done their DD on QB's. They were certainly either trading back or taking Nelson at #3.

So no idea where they had Darnold in the draft.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Even if we end up with the second pick and Fields is available, we should take him and move on from Darnold.

I'm not sure exactly why Shanahan would opt for Darnold over say Matt Ryan (if available) or Jameis Winston. He wants to play with a zone run play action scheme and throw the ball down the field - Sam doesn't throw down the field well at all. Maybe he could but he hasn't to this point.

But they also could be looking at price tag for Sam being low, keeping Garroppolo for one more year and letting the best man win.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. JetsKickAss

I haven't seen him play. I may actually see if OS is playing this weekend and later in the month.

I know he's very good but TL had that spectacular freshman season and just shy of it his sophomore year.

Winston would be a non-starter for Shannahan. Matt Ryan would be only if you think you can win the SB in 2 years. Sam is a QB for another 10 years if he works out.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree. My heart is set on Trevor Lawrence but Justin Fields looks like an absolute monster as well and his statistical production is through the freaking roof.

Justin Fields (career): 314/448 (69.9%), 4,195 passing yards, 51 TD/3 INTs and an insanely sick disgusting QB Rating of 184.8 (and also an athletic type of dual threat QB with 800 rushing yards/15 rushing TDs).

The more I watch Justin Fields @ 6'3 the more he reminds me of a Dak Prescott (but on steroids) and a younger Aaron Rodgers coming out; he's crazy talented.

Of course I want Trevor Lawrence but if we finished with the 2nd pick and landed Fields? I'd pack up Sam's luggage and drive him to the airport myself.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

How are we NOT finishing first

I am ready to bolt if they screw the pooch on that too

Fields is an OSU product (meh) and sloppy seconds to TL

Cman68 likes this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I want TL too but what if KC Chiefs passed on Patrick Mahomes all because of previous Texas Tech NFL failures at QB such as Dylan Gandy, Kliff Kingsbury, Ron Reeves, Tommy Duniven, Joe Barnes, Bob Witucki, Floyd Dellinger and Don Williams?

I sometimes feel the same way about USC QBs but at the end of the day? Justin Fields is the greatest OSU Quarterback of all time and his statistical dominance goes to show he's their #1 QB of All Time.

Freddy Mondo and JetsKickAss like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He has the same amount of touchdowns as incompletions dude. Have you watched him at all? He's incredible.

13. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

trading sam to an nfc team is ideal. you only have to face him once every 4 years.

however, trading him to sf or dallas allows the pats to trade for prescott or jimmy g.

ideal place for sam would be the saints.

remains to be seen what the offers would be.

could also tender at 1st and 3rd, and keep him next year to battle it out with TL.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

you have no idea what youre talking about.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jonny my sir. What do you think about Fields? How does he compare with Trevor Lawrence?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So even if we finish with the #2 pick we can still get a great haul for Sam!

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We need to trade him where we get the absolute best value, finally get a top coach, and not worry about what the Pats will do. If we want to become a contender we have to be dominant against good teams and let them worry about us. I personally think Sam to Dallas is best, from the perspective of more premium picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im an avid Buckeye fan......Fields might be better. We dont know who'll end up better but it may very well be fields. He and Lawrence were 1 and 2 with Fields being one I believe coming out of HS. He has a cannon of an arm, is insanely accurate and can run better than TL. TL is bigger but size isnt Fields problem either at 6'3 225. To say " hes an OSU prodcut" whatever that even means, is just showing a complete lack of knowledge of who this kid is. He has 56 career TDs now with 3 INTs...yes, 3. His qb rating last year was 180.....this year its fucking 220. he is an outrageous QB prospect

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Some of the reservations I have with Fields are the exact same I had with Baker Mayfield. He’s throwing to WIDE OPEN receivers on most of his throws in those clips. The contested throws I want to see more. Is he a product of a system that makes their QBs look good or is he elite?? it’s tough to say.. Every single Buckeye QB has busted in the last 10+ years I can remember. That worries me too. If we don’t land Trevor Lawrence because we win some meaningless game it would be a real shame

#19 Rockinz, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  20. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Here's my question in response to whenever I see this sentiment: so which school IS a good one to be a product of in 2020?

Show me the schools that make you think, "ok, he's a product of _________, he's going to be good". And I'm talking the current regime at a school, not Aaron Rodgers from Cal type stuff where none of the coaching staff, philosophy, or style that groomed him is still in place.

I ask because they're aren't any, and I think that's more an indicator of how hard it is to play QB well in the NFL, not anything about systems or schools. So few people have the talent to succeed at a high level in the NFL that by nature QB hit rates for even the best programs will look atrocious. The closest I think there is currently in the NFL is Oklahoma with Mayfield and Murray.

But in the end I think it's almost entirely about the ability of the kid, and nothing about the school he goes to. People like to try and reverse engineer things when prospects bust, arriving at conclusions like programs being the problem, but in reality it's just really hard to be a good QB in the NFL, and almost everyone fails at it.