Sanchez's Career vs Top QB's 1st Two Seasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Not sure what people expected for a guy starting in the NFL fresh off of 16 college games, but I'm happy with what Sanchez has done so far. People can argue stats until the end of time, there's a lot more that goes into being a QB, especially in New York. Seems to me like we got he right guy.

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yes, the one where Clemens gets trip by a yard line...remember?

4. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

He didn't put up great numbers, but he was solid last season. Again, add in his playoff stats and his rush TDs. His numbers were fine.

Also we already drafted the alternative/future backup.

Greg McElroy is 5th in yardage in the preseason. He went 29 for 48 with a 60% completion percentage 267 yards, 2 TDs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Ok, I know it's just the preseason. But McElroy is looking pretty good. :up:

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

U do know that "ALMOST" means "NEVER or WASN'T".

Sanchez WASN'T the leader in ints. He WASN'T the leader in sacks on a team that WASN'T the champion that DIDN'T have lose those three games.

Since u like "almost" more than anything, Jets ALMOST won 15 out of 16 games.

[​IMG]

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Preseason means nothing no matter who you are, but Im glad we drafted McElroy in the 7th. A lot of the 7th rounders don't make the 53. He will and will be with the team for a few years IMO.

7. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Are you fucking kidding me?

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 YEARS think GB considered cutting him since he just sat on the bench?

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i dont think we should be that rash, but if we see the same Sanchez this regular season as the past two, the only thing i would say in his defense is the lack of continuity in his targets.

but the quality of his weapons since walking in the door should never come into question.

and it would be unsettling for him not to take a pretty noticeable step forward this year.

60% completion 26+td and 12 or less INT's is what id expect and prefer to see from him this year

i have faith in him but you cant be too suprised if people start becoming harsher critics especially since the rest of this team is built to win now.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't get it. Which season is it you think we failed to win the Super Bowl because of Sanchez?

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if thats directed at me then I never said hes the reason weve failed to win a super bowl.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

his rookie year, game one, starting receivers were cotch and stucky ... i would question the quality of those options as a 1/2

12. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol ur joking right?

is this where i argue stuckey put up stats in that game and all sanchez has been missing his career is potentially chansi stuckey? (sarcasm)

keller, our OL, our run game, holmes/edwards/cotch/burress/mason

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

we all know who he has played with, but your post inferred that he has had top quality options since day one as a jet ... that is simply not true

14. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

What if Mark Sanchez were white?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Coach K - like usual you hit the deer in the neck vein.

This is the deal right here, bro man. I like Sanchez and I like his clutch ability, but the Jets didn't trade up to the 5th overall pick for Doug Flutie. They traded up for a guy that they thought would spend the vast majority of his career in the ranks of elite QBs. So far he's got one of the main pieces of the puzzle - balls the size of watermelons - but there's a ton of other crap the goes with it that he needs to be able to put together.

I can only homer it up for so long and then you get to the bare bones. Which is Sanchez becomes the franchise QB now or we start one looking for one elsewhere. Because if Sanchez pulls a Chad and never takes that next step, and the Jets hang around and wait, it's likely to cost us Rex.

I'll take Rex over Mark Sanchez any day of the week.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Nothing wrong with this, except you talk like Sanchez has been failing us and he's got one more chance. Most NFL QBs are just getting their feet wet by this age and Sanchez has already surpassed most Jet QBs in terms of accomplishment.

I'm not sure how he can "pull a Chad" when he's already got more on his resume in two years than Chad did in eight--Chad only got in there a quarter of the way into his third year and he was like 26. I'm not trying to run down Chad, as you know I think he did well for us, but I can't imagine what the gripe is on Sanchez. Did anyone expect him to step right in with no growing pains and be Joe Montana?

17. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I think he gets that. I think his post was a slightly smarter ridiculing of the Boston dickheads clinging on to the figures that prove in their desperate little minds that Sanchez was really lucky last season and that he was actually worse than the stats show, hence his saying "I almost care".

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Aah... no wonder why. Well then, my post is intended at those same dickheads as well then.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I dunno, I got a feeling that if Sanchez doesn't deliver Rex will be retained.

But that's going to be when Sanchez starts costing the team more games than he saves, and he starts faltering in January.

He has cost the Jets games in the regular season, but he isn't the reason why the team fails in the playoffs.

The first coach that will go is Schotty before anyone else. If he can't improve the offense, they'll find someone else to try.

I honestly believe Rex will have a longer tenure than Coughlin in NY.

20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

An alternative question might be what year did we reach the playoffs because of Sanchez? I'm not knocking Sanchez, I expected him to take time to develop at the NFL level considering his shortage of starting games in College. And technically, you could blame a poor performance of the offense in the first half of the championship game last year for being the reason for the loss. Of course some will blame Schotty, and to a degree rightfully so. But some of that also falls on Sanchez, and a few dropped passes by Jerhico.

The reason we made it to the playoffs the last two seasons has been the defense and the running game, especially 2 years ago when Sanchez was turning the ball over left and right.

I'm not calling for a new QB, or even drafting a new QB, there were growing pains expected drafting a QB with limited college experience. But if he's still completing only 54 or 55% of his passes at the end of this season and still comitting nearly 20 turnovers a season (int's plus fumbles lost) while throwing fewer than 20 TD's then we have to start thinking about other options....but right now, that's premature.