Sanchez separating himself from Henne

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Doogstein, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That's a panic move that defies logic. At 4-4 their season is completely salvageable and Chad isn't a) gonna win them a Super Bowl and b) the future of their ball club. So why even bother playing him? Henne's played well at times this season and with him, were a blown call away from 5-3. Whatever, fuck the Dolphins. This is an even numbered year so maybe Penny will tear shit up for them en route to 9-7.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That was the first, most obvious thing to pop into my head. I'm not going to research his stats for every game and then argue for days over what is an "elite" defense. If a defense is "elite" I'd think not too many QBs would have much success against it, right?

Show me where I've ever said that, when he was here or in Miami. I said he's better than Henne, in the past I said he was better than Clemens. Until proven otherwise I'm right in both cases, he's a good QB.

Neither of us can definitively argue a "what if", there's merit to doing it both ways. My point is Rex's decision not to do it was easier because there was no accomplished veteran to turn to, I don't see any disputing that. If Clemens couldn't beat a rookie out in camp what good was he going to do in mid season? Pennington has won playoff games and brings a wealth of leadership and experience which Henne doesn't have. I don't see any disputing that, either.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I know this was already posted on this forum but
    [​IMG]

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

#204 Miamipuck, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. Italian Seafood

Was there even a competition for the job? I don't follow Miami that closely but it seemed to me the question with Pennington was would he get better and even be in the league anymore. I thought Henne had pretty much solidified the spot but I could be mistaken.

As for right now, my take is that Henne has hit a wall, I don't know that it's the slightest sign of trouble, they really need to win right now or the season goes by the boards. Being the QB of the future is great and all but the coach might not be around for the future if he doesn't win games now. I'm sure Henne has more upside but if you have to win one game this week, which they do, maybe a rested, healthy Pennington is a better option than a struggling Henne. That's the call they made, only time will tell if it was the right one. I'm just saying I see why they did it, without revisiting the whole Pennington resume which has been done to death on here.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I have to find the article but my understanding was Sparano poo poo'ed Henne at the end of last year. Implying there was a QB battle or at the very least that the starting job wasn't Henne's birthright. I don't follow the Fins either. I just enjoy listening to the whining on the radio down here when they lose.

I do not like this is as a one off move. If Pennington wins against Tenn, no way he loses the job. If he loses, I think Sparano has to have a pretty damn long shower to wash that egg off of his face.

7. Italian Seafood

If they win they ride the hot hand but I still think it's only a matter of time before they go back to Henne. If they lose and I'm Sporano, I'd at least know I lost playing the hand I felt was best and not worrying about a bonus kicking in or hurting a guy's feelings because he's the "future" guy.

Interesting they're playing Tennessee, speaking of QBs. I was thinking the other day, this is the fifth season they've had Collins and Young co-existing and both have had playing time and success, each in their own way. I'm trying to think of the last time there was a case like that for so long. Maybe never.

8. 624

624 Banned

Some Dolphin fans on finheaven are saying that "just because the Dolphins have a better option at QB doesn't mean this debate is over" and "you can't say Sanchez is better, because how can you compare him to someone on the bench?"

Wow

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The impression I got after listening to that was that they were pretty much done with Henne. Of course I could be wrong, but that was what it sounded like to me.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

If you were going to use an example where the rotating QB thing can work, I guess Tenn is the shining example. I can not figure out how it has worked without warring in the locker room or between QB's.

Young is such a non standard QB that it is difficult to say he should be the starter based off of stats. The guy wins though.....

Collins I think, personal issues notwithstanding, could have really been something special. Maybe he just took a step back from things and likes being the Veteran, fixer sort of speak.

Really that entire situation goes against most examples of how professional athletes co-exist.

Maybe Fisher is that good of a coach to keep it together. The only thing he hasn't done, is win the Superbowl.

I can't think of another situation quite like it. Where is Cakes when you need him?

#210 Miamipuck, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I can see that point, but I really don't like the benching of thier young QB. He's not been great, but not awful and needs to play to progress. While they say they are high on Henne still, there have been rumblings about Parcells not being happy with him and now he's benched later in the year. Are they still high on him? I'm not sold on it.

Penny is not going to make them less predictable. He's a vet but one with obvious physical limitations. I thought they had him on the team to be a great mentor to a young QB and an emergency starter in case of injury. Chad will be a very good coach if he choses to in the future. With his inablility to stay healthy I really thought of him as more of an extra coach than a player to hang yoru season on. He warrior, a professional, and an all around Classy guy. I just think his body is not going to hold up even for this last half a season and if it does, I don't see him as a difference maker with his limitations.

12. Italian Seafood

Me neither. I think it works because they are so different and each has struggled or gotten hurt enough for the other guy to come in and save it. Still, five years is a long time to have two QBs like that both playing and winning, it's really bizarre. I doubt they planned it that way and I seriously doubt that will be the case in Miami. I still think they're looking for Pennington to right the ship and put Henne back in, and I'm really hoping Pennington gets out of Miami after this year.

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

My mind isnt what it used to be memory wise..but when has that ever worked in a career for a young qb. Replacing him...and then going back to him down the road. Once you start the ball rolling, its all or nothing. Thats if Henne is to become a really solid qb.

I hear what you are saying in this thread IS but once you give the young qb the ball..its his until he cant get the job done. I just cant remember any good qb's that were given their chance and then taken out but were still looked at as their long term solution for the position.

Thats why its so important when you do it...you stick with it. Either its total desperation to save THIS season or the decent list of negatives he had coming out of college are pretty much spot on.

I think its both. We shall see.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Vince Young most recently.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

haha Henne was on Conan tonight

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Good point...but thats a rare thing thats working with the Titans...and Young has been around the block a bit longer.

I guess my point is also that if Young was the future....I cant understand going back and forth. For every Young someone brings up...you can name 10 young qb's that were put in as starters...and taken out...never to become the qb they thought they had.

Henne fits that profile as far as Im concerned. The jury is out as far as Young is concerned also.

The Jets stuck with Sanchez and I think most agree its early but will start to pay dividends. The Dolphins are in true panic mode and probably do not see this guy as their future star qb.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Joe Montana and Steve Young in San Francisco from 1987-92 (of course, Montana only played in 1 game from 1991-92)

Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin were together from 1949-52. They alternated quarters. They played often enough and well enough for each to make the Pro Bowl in 1950 and 1951.

1969-73 Cowboys

passes thrown by Craig Morton-
    1969- 302
    1970- 207
    1971- 143
    1972- 339
    1973- 32

passes thrown by Roger Staubach-
    1969- 47
    1970- 82
    1971- 211
    1972- 20
    1973- 286

Morton played in 2 games early in the '74 season for Dallas and threw 2 passes. He was traded on 10/22/74 to the Giants for a 1975 1st round pick and a 1976 2nd round pick. The '75 1st rounder turned out to be Randy White.

Billy Kilmer and Sonny Jurgensen worked together in Washington from 1971-74. Both of them disliked Joe Theismann who joined the team in 1974. Jurgensen retired after the '74 season. Theismann and Kilmer both saw a lot of action in 1976 and 1977, but Kilmer started the majority of the games. Theismann won the job for good in 1978 and Kilmer retired after the season.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The question is: Can Sanchez separate himself from Tyler Thigpen?